Fantastic Member

Default Cloak and Dagger - war on drugs - legalization

Just had a thought. Wouldn't it be cool to bring back these two characters within the context of marijuana legalization... and the war on drugs in general.

It would be controversial, provocative... relevant...

Or has this been done already? I think these two characters are pretty underrated.

They always seemed to be about hard drugs like heroin and cocaine. They never went after alcohol, for example. I don't think they would care much one way or the other about mary-jane.

Yeah, to my memory C&D never explicitly took on weed dealers, though plenty of the "drug dealers" they took on may have been involved in cannabis distribution.

The big thing for them might be designer drugs, which is what gave them their powers.

I just want to see them come back in a major way.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    They always seemed to be about hard drugs like heroin and cocaine. They never went after alcohol, for example. I don't think they would care much one way or the other about mary-jane.
    Yeah, but they could write a story that parallels the current political climate... like they did with Civil War... But it wouldn't have to be about marijuana itself... maybe some other fictional drug. There is a broader discussion in the country regarding legalization of cocaine and heroine too.

Has Marvel tackled this issue... in particular the damage caused by the war on drugs...

...if the underlying premise is that the War on Drugs destabilized racial minority communities in particular with mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent possession offenses.. No, I don't see this happening outside of a MAX title.

Cloak and Dagger are only interested in hard drugs and the type of people that would kidnap and experiment on kids.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    ...if the underlying premise is that the War on Drugs destabilized racial minority communities in particular with mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent possession offenses.. No, I don't see this happening outside of a MAX title.
    It could be done in the 616. But it might be controversial in a political sense.