View Poll Results: Who is Clark Kent?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic Golden Age Clark: Timid, yet socially aware.

14 25.00%
  • Silver Age Clark: nerdy and frail, yet still famous.

3 5.36%
  • John Byrne Clark: Groovy cat who works out, captain of the football-team, but naive farm-boy.

18 32.14%
  • All-Star Superman Clark: complete facade, bumbling oaf, who saves people through fake bumbling.

7 12.50%
  • Something else... "here's my pitch!"

10 17.86%
  • I don't care about Kent. More SUPER, less man.

4 7.14%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default So, what SHOULD Clark Kent be like?

Timid reporter? Bumbling fool? Brilliant writer? Top-ten reporter? Average guy no-one notices? Famous media-person?

Just what should he be like? We've got a couple of different takes on the character, and some of them include being very similar to Superman, and some of them include being very different from Superman.

I think I'd like a Clark Kent that is very different from Superman, physically even - but not a bumbler. That whole thing easily turns into a comedy-routine. I dig Chris Reeves and his artistry, his acting, but in retrospect, I don't think I like that take on Clark Kent any more.

In fact, I think I like something similar to the Clark in Lois and Clark ( very similar to the Byrne -version), but perhaps a bit more of a Chris Reeve flair in there. Make him a bit more reserved and less sociable.

What do you guys think? What Clark Kent is your favourite? What's your take on the character?

I would have voted for the Nu52 Clark myself. Still a nerd and a bit socially awkward, but very passionate about helping people. He uses his journalism to expose corruption and help people. He has good friends but is still a little distant. He's kind of a mix of GA and SA Clark but with a bit more passion. But, that option isn't in the poll, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Voted for "Here's my pitch!" because "Birthright" and "New52" were not options.

The problem with Clark being a complete, bumbling idiot is that those kinds of people stand out. When you have a co-worker who trips while sitting down, spills coffee on himself daily, and is always, always running late and getting yelled at by the boss.....you remember that guy. That guy stands out, even if you never bother to talk to him. And he stands out even more if, against all probability and evidence, he somehow is really great at his job. And the purpose of "Clark Kent, Daily Planet reporter" is to blend in completely.

The Bryne, post-Crisis version doesnt work for the same reasons. Clark is too visible, too cool, too hip. He's a guy you'd remember and even worse, he's a guy you likely have a good opinion of. Clark is someone who should elicit a neutral opinion from most people; they neither love nor hate him and honestly barely think about him at all. Strong emotions are more likely to be connected to other subjects that generate a strong emotion. Like Superman. You dont want someone at the Planet, where Superman is known to frequent and give interviews, thinking that "Hey, that Kent guy. He's alright! Really stand up person, lot like Superman now that I think about it. Hey.....waitaminute!!"

So likewise, you cant have Clark be famous. That puts too much attention on him. And you certainly cannot have him in front of a news camera on a regular basis.

The best version of Clark Kent (in my opinion) is the Birthright version. Clark's a skilled reporter who is willing to go to some rough places and talk to some rough people. He's good at his job but not brilliant (like Lois is). He uses his job to advocate for a better world. And he's so incredibly average he's invisible. People forget he's standing next to them. They turn off the lights in the office without realizing he's still working. They invite the entire bullpen to the bar but forget to include Clark. It doesnt happen because people are picking on him, it happens because people just forget about him. And that's one of the things that gets Clark the interviews with certain people; they trust him because he doesnt seem at all dangerous or ambitious. He's "safe" in a way that a hungry, sharp reporter like Lois Lane isnt.

The New52 version is really quite good, as is the Golden Age version. I like a Clark who stands up against corruption and crime and fights for the little guy with his reporting. But the New52 version is a little *too* outspoken, and the Golden Age version is a little *too* timid.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'd have added 90's Clark. A dedicated, uninhibited man of action. He was as bold as Superman himself and never hid his passions. He was respected throughout the office as much as Lois for going after dangerous scoops, and he was an interesting parallel to Superman himself.

That was (and is) MY Clark.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Something like Smalville comic and tv show, or Lois & clark tv show. I don't really have comic experience to answer this, and new 52 Clark is not good better run to the tv shows

BANNED

John Byrne, Post Crisis pre-99. Mostly 90s.

Because he's a real man 24/7.

Golden Age wasnt all that timid, most of the time he was hard pressing for action and investigative reporting. Every now and then he would have a fake reaction to fool Lois and the team to keep his real identity though.

To me the ideal is a healthy middle of post-Crisis/New 52 cool and casual Clark, and Reeve's bumbler. Too much the goof and you defeat the purpose of trying to blend in, but too hip, and you're not doing enough to throw off the scent. To me has to have a pretty decent nerdy side, for the physical comparisons to go by the wayside, but to not draw attention at the same time, so he's still that faceless guy on the train. To quote Xander Harris: "I know more than anybody realizes because nobody's watching me." THAT should be Clark Kent.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-31-2014 at 04:09 PM.

A stereotypical down-to-earth guy (which does NOT mean that he's a naive idiot), which contrasts his awesome Superman image.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

All Star Superman has that great line, "Pretending to be Clark, I am Clark." Something like that... I think he should be like Jonathan Kent, humble, strong, principled, and gentle. Never naive, a cosmic being like Thor, Silver Surfer, or Adam Warlock, but with his feet and ego solidly on the ground. He looks up to people but can understand the language of gods. I don't mind the weak kneed Clark. Meek, vulnerable people can be admirable, and I think it's great that Superman would act that way.

Astonishing Member

I like Ascended's take, but I lean a little more to the Silver Age side. Clark shouldn't be slapstick or a caricature like the Reeve films, but I also can't picture a confident Clark. I see him as being a bit of an oddball but

Basically Clark grew up hiding Superman/boy long before he ever puts on the costume or decides on a heroic life. The first layers of the disguise are the Kents telling him "No, Clark, don't lift that in public" or "Don't run so fast". So my take on Clark is someone who grew up being seen as a frail kid. He couldn't play ball or tag because he was too powerful, but everyone assumed he was too weak. He couldn't risk anything where a normal kid might get a cut or scrape because there was always a risk of his not getting hurt. He had to roll with every punch a bully gave him and could never think of hitting back. Even after he gained a control level where he didn't need an effort to avoid being super, he still kept up the pose of being someone on the sidelines of the games rather than someone playing them. And while he could take normal risks without worrying about explaining a lack of injury, he had developed a trait of avoiding them where possible.

At the other end of the spectrum Clark's attitudes towards physicality also came from his growing powers. While Clark played up a fear of roller coasters, for instance, his actual attitude was more like an Indy 500 driver trying to understand the appeal of riding in a Model T. The risks that Pete Ross or Lana Lang got an adrenaline rush from paled in comparison with what Clark could experience using his own powers. So even when he tired of playing the coward, there wasn't any real temptation for him to cut loose as Clark. In fact his own inability to be harmed often led him to think other people took too many risks. His attempts to protect others added to his own reputation of being a wimp or a worrywart.

And all of this also made Clark different from other kids. He was always an odd man out at recess since he wasn't playing tag or ball. He also had been told repeatedly not to reveal what he could do, which to his mind translated to "trust no one" at least during his early school years. As a result Clark had few close friends, the exceptions being kids like Pete and Lana who for some reason made an extra effort to break through Clark's stand-offish behavior. As he grew older Clark be came more adept at realizing what he could and couldn't share with others. This along with his friendships in the Legion with people who knew about his whole life helped Clark develop socially, but he still has a wariness of people that he plays up as Clark. For instance almost no one at the Planet outside of Lois or Jimmy can tell you much about Clark's childhood, family, etc; and even those two have only learned this stuff over the course of years. Clark (as Superman) has told more people personally about Jor-El than Clark (as Clark) has told about Jonathan Kent.

Clark's clothing is conservative. He favors dress-shirts and ties in solid colors. His pants and coats/jackets tend to be dark colors. He has a driver's license from his youth in Smallville which he keeps current but has never owned a car, preferring Metropolis public transit when possible and cabs when it isn't. Clark eats at diners or gets take-out most nights since all he has in the house are thinks like canned soup, eggs, milk (usually a partially empty quart) and some snack food.

The one place where Clark does stand out positively is when reporting. Clark's tendency to push people away drops unintentionally when he slips into reporter mode. He becomes more like his Superman persona- a little bolder, more witty and engaging when in conversation. Most of the people that know him think this is simply the result of Clark being less in his own head at these moments. Perry has tried in vain to encourage Clark to develop this side of himself around the office as well as in the field. Lois actually finds Clark almost attractive when he is in reporter mode and has managed to get him to act like this at points when they are together outside the office, but assumes he is simply intimidated by his co-workers for some reason when they are at the office.

Amazing Member

New 52....

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

The problem with Clark being a complete, bumbling idiot is that those kinds of people stand out. When you have a co-worker who trips while sitting down, spills coffee on himself daily, and is always, always running late and getting yelled at by the boss.....you remember that guy. That guy stands out, even if you never bother to talk to him. And he stands out even more if, against all probability and evidence, he somehow is really great at his job.
    Well, this is disturbing news. My comfort in life has been believing that my co-workers didn't notice me. That I was so good at fading into the background, that all my weaknesses were not noted or remembered by co-workers. That all my little accidents, my flubs, my small disasters had been forgotten, as was I.

I had always figured that it was the loud, arrogant, self-important co-workers and their overbearing demeanour that others remembered. Not me, in the corner, struggling desperately to be unremarkable and just trying to do a good job.

How painful to think that I was wrong all these years and that even now people remember me and laugh at my failings.

BANNED

I wonder if the problem is that the qualities that would make him a good reporter would also be qualities that would get him noticed. This could be another one of those situations where the traits of the job of the secret identity have changed since the character was created.

Ideally Clark would be working from home

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I opened Superman chronicles volume 4, first issue on, Lois is calling Clark a coward in one way or another. He definitely looks like a leading man, but to become Superman, he goes full on lily livered. Lois is constantly insulting him for it.

I think Reeve had it right. Golden Age Clark Kent comes off a bit schizophrenic. He acts cartoonishly faint in some scenes, but at other times he forgets the act and is just Superman with glasses. Not with his full on powers, but manner. He even gets physical without going too far. They play up the investigative reporter who will take a dive for a story.

I think there is a Clark, who is also Kal El that is the son of the El's and Kents. He has their best virtues. They are Superpeople at heart. Unlike them, Superman's invulnerable. In order to pretend being human, he has to fake frailties.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Byrne's Clark or the one from the Animated Series.

I wasn't the biggest Byrne Fan but I thought his Clark Kent was the most 'believable' version.

- Clark is a very built and handsome guy. I always found him acting weak was too over the top. He can still be Clark Kent and be a good inspiration to others.
    - He's from Kansas so he maintains his innocence
    - Kal El is Clark Kent, not Superman. The animated version said it best. If I was stuck being Superman 24/7, I'd go crazy. Yes, he has to maintain some level of subterfuge around the humans but not to such high ridiculous levels
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 11-01-2014 at 08:25 AM.