Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Val Zod is a dream come true.

Growing up, my favorite superhero was always superman, a hero who was powerful, optimistic, good natured and positive. I had superman everything, t-shirts, lunchbox's, backpacks and everything. But as I grew up, I was confined into the idea by others when either dressing up as superman or saying I am superman as a kid, that I couldn't be superman because I was black. Confused, I didn't really understand what that meant until later own, and while superman continued to be my favorite hero, I ultimately had to settle that I couldn't represent superman and vice versa because of are differences. I tried to get interested into Steel, but Steel was always a third tier hero, someone who couldn't match or compete with the other super related heroes like supergirl, superboy, and superman sadly. Even still, Superman remained my favorite hero. Even when I swore off almost all comics, I still picked up Superman out of habit.

Than somehow the stars align, and Val Zod was created. He embodied the very essence of Superman, kind, caring. he's even a pacifist, and his upcoming costume looks so awesome. I have to say Val Zod single handedly brought me back into DC comics, and whomever the writer is that created this character, the only thing I can say is a big, thank you. Now I can dress up as a superman in an upcoming comic con- and not have to worry about not matching the character because of our skin complexion. Now there's a Superman I can actually represent and people can't say I don't belong. So thanks DC, I truly hope this character sticks around for ever. Or for as long as they bring in comics.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I have to agree with you when you say you hope Val Zod is around for a good long while. I've liked what I've seen of him so far and I love his costume as well. While I'm not black I am half Native American so any time a minority character apppears I can't help but rejoice so I competely understand wanting to have characters that represent your particular ethic group.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Always Rakzo

Not to me, I would have prefered to have an Earth 2 without another Kryptonian Superman taking all the spotlight.

And for black Superman we already have Calvin Ellis and to a lesser extent, Icon.

Truthfully, I was hoping to avoid superman in this one, part of the appeal to me was the lesser known heroes stepping up to replace the Trinity. NuBatman and NuSuperman of Earth 2 kind of fly in the face of that for me, but to be fair, I like Val Zod a heck of a lot more than I do Thomas/Batman and if it makes folks like the OP happy to feel a bit represented, then I'm glad something good is coming out of it.

Of course, between this world's takes Doctor Fate, Alan and Hawkgirl, I thought they'd been doing pretty well for diversity from the get go on Earth 2, but it's true they aren't BIG names or A list (Though again, for me, that was part of the appeal)
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

You know there is already a black Superman right? Check out Action Comics 9. He is event the president of USA in that comic and will be the lead character in Multiversity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I have to agree with you when you say you hope Val Zod is around for a good long while. I've liked what I've seen of him so far and I love his costume as well. While I'm not black I am half Native American so any time a minority character apppears I can't help but rejoice so I competely understand wanting to have characters that represent your particular ethic group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Truthfully, I was hoping to avoid superman in this one, part of the appeal to me was the lesser known heroes stepping up to replace the Trinity. NuBatman and NuSuperman of Earth 2 kind of fly in the face of that for me, but to be fair, I like Val Zod a heck of a lot more than I do Thomas/Batman and if it makes folks like the OP happy to feel a bit represented, then I'm glad something good is coming out of it.

Of course, between this world's takes Doctor Fate, Alan and Hawkgirl, I thought they'd been doing pretty well for diversity from the get go on Earth 2, but it's true they aren't BIG names or A list (Though again, for me, that was part of the appeal)

Thank you guys for understanding where I'm coming from, I never thought there would be a day where I could have an character that represents me, where I can dress up as the character and people won't be like " a black thor or superman? Really?" That was always a common critique I got at comic con and it was a very unfortunate and eye opening experience.

In regards to this topic, after seeing val zod I picked up all the Earth 2 books and I can see where people are coming from in regards to this as the book seem to originally focused on non-big 3 characters. Diversity was definitely a strong point with this book but as you stated, they weren't big names or A list. The problem is that most minority heroes lack that aspect, not just in Earth 2. In regard to black heroes, we may have John Stewart in which he could arguably be considered big name or A list, and than possibly Cyborg due to him being part of the Big 7 now, but both of those are debatable and neither hero are placed in the role on where the chips are down, this is the guy you want to go with. Val Zod isn't like that, Val Zod is treated like a big time player, a big deal, and that's so refreshing, new and exciting to see that it makes my cheeks flush just thinking about it. I'm just really happy and I hope Val Zod does many things in the future.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    You know there is already a black Superman right? Check out Action Comics 9. He is event the president of USA in that comic and will be the lead character in Multiversity.
    Oh yes, I have that book, remember superman is my favorite hero so I collect all of his books, even the wonder woman/superman book. (which got me interested in wonder woman but that's a different story.) The problem with calvis is he has been primarily seen as a one shot or one off, even multiversity is a scattered series featuring multi parallel dimensions and it's also a limited series. After that who knows when we will see Calvin again, with Val Zod he's part of a successful ongoing series so we're guaranteed to see much to him.
    But I do find it odd though that people had a issue with me dressing up as Superman when Calvin Harris has existed for a while though. *shrugs*

I don’t know how I feel about Val Zod. I was hoping that GL Alan Scott, Flash, Hawkgirl and Mr. Terrific would be the main focus of Earth 2. Now it looks like we may just focus on the Earth 2 version of the main Trinity. Val Zod may grow on me but now I am missing more panel time for the four heroes I mentioned.

I am also a Blue Marvel fan and find him a more original version of an ultra super powered being.

Spectacular Member

I am happy for you, Leo619!! For every idea DC has done these last three years that I hated, they bring ideas like this that I love.

As soon as Val Zod turned up in 'Earth 2', I was happy. This is why I love this book. I love how different it is from all of the other books. It feels fresh, and characters like Kendra, Khalid (Fate), Val Zod, Commander Khan, etc. have been introduced naturally and do not feel 'forced' like Ryan Choi (Atom) and Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle) did prior to the New-52. At the start of the New-52, I was VERY upset that the JSA was not going to be on the same Earth as the JLA characters. I love the DC history of legacy, but if Earth 2 keeps giving me characters like Val Zod, Fury, Fate, (gay) Alan Scott, etc., then I will continue to support this book and its spin-offs!!

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Thank you guys for understanding where I'm coming from, I never thought there would be a day where I could have an character that represents me, where I can dress up as the character and people won't be like " a black thor or superman? Really?" That was always a common critique I got at comic con and it was a very unfortunate and eye opening experience.
    You're welcome and just so you know those people that said you shouldn't dress up as a certain character because your skin tone doesn't match the character are nothing less then complete jerks. A friend of mine had the same experience and she felt like you did aftrerwards but another friend gave her a sound piece of advice that I'll repeat:
    "You want to be that character then be the best danged black Superman or Thor you can be and nevermind what other people think about it." Ever since then she's gone to conventions and dresses as whatever character she wants. Hope this advice can do the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619
    In regards to this topic, after seeing val zod I picked up all the Earth 2 books and I can see where people are coming from in regards to this as the book seem to originally focused on non-big 3 characters. Diversity was definitely a strong point with this book but as you stated, they weren't big names or A list. The problem is that most minority heroes lack that aspect, not just in Earth 2. In regard to black heroes, we may have John Stewart in which he could arguably be considered big name or A list, and than possibly Cyborg due to him being part of the Big 7 now, but both of those are debatable and neither hero are placed in the role on where the chips are down, this is the guy you want to go with. Val Zod isn't like that, Val Zod is treated like a big time player, a big deal, and that's so refreshing, new and exciting to see that it makes my cheeks flush just thinking about it. I'm just really happy and I hope Val Zod does many things in the future.
    Earth 2 has better diversity then most titles but it is still a real problem with comics on the whole. Things are better then when I first started reading comics but there's still a long way to go in my opinion. That being said the diversity in Earth 2 is something that drew me to the title.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-09-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I haven't been following the Earth 2 titles, but I'd still heard about Val-Zod. And I hadn't thought of it from that angle before, so now I have to say I'm pretty glad that guy's out there. I just wish they hadn't had to do what they did to that Earth's Kal-El to get there.

As for everyone mentioning Calvin Ellis--look, I love that dude. But him showing up in one comic and eventually in Multiversity is not exactly equivalent to being in a monthly and soon weekly series.

I'm really excited about Val as well! Plus his Superman costume looks pretty damn cool.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I'm sorry you have to deal with that sort of jerk behavior. I'm white, but I doubt Superman looks much like a middle aged white guy who needs to lose some weight So you probably look a lot more like him than I do.

Regardless, you're there to have fun, so don't let them ruin yours.

Well, I guess I hadn't really considered it from that angle. For me, it not being one of the big three (or an offshoot there of) was part of the appeal. I will say the latest issue had Val looking pretty heroic as he shielded others against a much more experienced Evil Superman

As for Cyborg , he needs his own solo series with a big name creative team behind him IMO, sooner would be better than later.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Godbear gave me this name SpyrabKiller's Avatar
    In your head, on the TV Screen, hey buddy I'm warning you to turn it off

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Not to me, I would have prefered to have an Earth 2 without another Kryptonian Superman taking all the spotlight.

And for black Superman we already have Calvin Ellis and to a lesser extent, Icon.

It's still +1 for some much needed diversity after DC cancelled all of their minority-led books minus Batwing and turned Wally black and totally not a steretypical black teen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    You're welcome and just so you know those people that said you shouldn't dress up as a certain character because your skin tone doesn't match the character are nothing less then complete jerks. A friend of mine had the same experience and she felt like you did aftrerwards but another friend gave her a sound piece of advice that I'll repeat:
    "You want to be that character then be the best danged black Superman or Thor you can be and nevermind what other people think about it." Ever since then she's gone to conventions and dresses as whatever character she wants. Hope this advice can do the same for you.

Earth 2 has better diversity then most titles but it is still a real problem with comics on the whole. Things are better then when I first started reading comics but there's still a long way to go in my opinion. That being said the diversity in Earth 2 is something that drew me to the title.
    LOL, well I appreciate the understanding but I can understand where they are coming. A lot of comic fans are very particular regarding representing the source material. I've realized this when ethnicities are changed for comic characters in movies, as very often there appears to be a very vocal backlash. Me dressing up as Superman I guess is the same thing, sadly I'm not/can't represent the source material, so they call me out on dressing up as a hero when I don't look anything like them. That's my hypothesis anyway, so it's sad but I understand where they are coming from, so while I still wear superman shirts and stuff to the gym and stuff, I don't go to comic con dressed up as Superman anymore, but now I can with Val Zod hahaha, I can't wait for this year's comic con!

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    I'm sorry you have to deal with that sort of jerk behavior. I'm white, but I doubt Superman looks much like a middle aged white guy who needs to lose some weight So you probably look a lot more like him than I do.

Regardless, you're there to have fun, so don't let them ruin yours.

Well, I guess I hadn't really considered it from that angle. For me, it not being one of the big three (or an offshoot there of) was part of the appeal. I will say the latest issue had Val looking pretty heroic as he shielded others against a much more experienced Evil Superman

As for Cyborg , he needs his own solo series with a big name creative team behind him IMO, sooner would be better than later.
    HAHAHA, well I appreciate the empathy but like I mentioned in the post above, I can understand where they are coming from. I still had fun at comic con though, though a little less since a lot of the art classes/panels have been removed last year, but I do admit I did miss dressing up as superman.

And Val came across awesome! I can relate to Val alot because I'm also more on the peaceful side (hence me just stop dressing as superman to prevent problems over causing problems with me dressing up.) so I'm really enjoying Val trying to find a way to help out while sticking with his pacifistic belief, it's something I can definitely relate to.
    and him defending Hawkgirl with his body was very heroic.

In regards to Cyborg, I think a major part of Cyborg is that unfortunately a lot of people don't believe he belongs in the big leagues, he's kinda like falcon in the new avengers cartoon. He definitely gives it his all like most other heroes, but a key aspect to helping out cyborg is that the writer is going to need to show the readers why he deserve to be in the big 7, what makes him so important that he should be considered A-list. So while I think his own series will help, his showcasing his role in Justice League is probably going to help out a lot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JLange View Post
    I am happy for you, Leo619!! For every idea DC has done these last three years that I hated, they bring ideas like this that I love.

As soon as Val Zod turned up in 'Earth 2', I was happy. This is why I love this book. I love how different it is from all of the other books. It feels fresh, and characters like Kendra, Khalid (Fate), Val Zod, Commander Khan, etc. have been introduced naturally and do not feel 'forced' like Ryan Choi (Atom) and Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle) did prior to the New-52. At the start of the New-52, I was VERY upset that the JSA was not going to be on the same Earth as the JLA characters. I love the DC history of legacy, but if Earth 2 keeps giving me characters like Val Zod, Fury, Fate, (gay) Alan Scott, etc., then I will continue to support this book and its spin-offs!!

Exactly! Marvel has the ultimate universe which I follow with miles morales and the ultimates, so I know it can also be done with Earth 2 spinning off into perhaps 4-5 books. Maybe a batman/superman book with Val and Thomas, that would be fantastic as they are two opposite ends of the same coin. Than maybe a trinity book featuring HawkGirl, Alan, Flash. A JSA book featuring all the characters in Earth 2, the actual Earth 2 book, and than maybe a book featuring Val, Powergirl, Thomas, and Huntress. Oh and a solo book with Fury. That would be just perfect.