Thread: Rank the Lanas!

Incredible Member

Default Rank the Lanas!

Which has been your favorite and least favorite incarnations of Lana Lang? It's strange to see how many different jobs she's had over the years, in spite of always being someone with close ties to Clark. Have you ever preferred her to Lois Lane?

Discuss!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

What is Lana's job again in Pak's AC?

All kidding aside she's handled OK lately. Moreso before that awful DOOMED arc that tanked my interest in the Superman titles. I like her as a close confident to Clark, but I've never preferred her to Lois. Lois Lane is the gold standard.

That all said, if I ever get to pen my own "All Star" take on Kal-El of Krypton- I have lots of ideas for Lana Lang. Every character matters, I think.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-19-2015 at 04:49 PM.

I've liked all the incarnations of Lana that I have read and seen, but my favourite is Pak's Lana. I have never liked any incarnation of Lois; I have tolerated some incarnations of her, but that's it.
    Last edited by IronLang; 10-20-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Incredible Member

Sorry to sound dense, but who or what is Pak's Lana?

I would say my favorite might be Lana from Superman III. She just really seems like a decent human being, and it made sense to portray her as a woman who never left Smallville since it seems like a lot of small town folks sometimes stay there their whole lives. Her having a young son and being a single mother also added a lot to her appeal. You could sympathize with what she'd been through and in a strange way it also offers Clark an instant family since in the movies they never really explored whether he was capable of becoming a father biologically speaking. Plus, Annette is just too beautiful in that movie.

Next I would probably rank the animated series Lana because she was a bit spunky but also had her own lifestyle as a fashion designer. It was fun seeing them mine that for new stories, although it does bother me that she fell for Lex. It seems like an easy way to drive the story to have the damsel fall for the villain. It's hard to believe that Lana could be that dumb.

.... somewhere WAY at the bottom of the list is Smallville Lana, because she was completely impossible to like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    ask for her give back lois characterization aff

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Sorry to sound dense, but who or what is Pak's Lana?
    Lana Lang as written by Greg Pak, the current writer on ACTION COMICS.

Amazing Member

I also love Lana. Superman III might be my favorite. I also like Smallville Lana PRIOR to her hooking up with Lex. It seemed out of character to me.
    I've always preferred Lana to Lois. Both are great fictional characters, but if I had to pick, I'd rather read stories with Lana.
    Last edited by dianalela7; 10-21-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Incredible Member

See, I'm torn on Lexana. I kind of hated her at that point, so seeing her be eeeeevil with Lex sort of worked. But the overall storyline did nothing good for her and made it impossible to care when she and Clark FINALLY hooked up. Theirs was the most painfully drawn-out storyline ever.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I like Pak's Lana too. She's fiesty and gutsy however in a different way than Lois. She's the Kansas farm girl grown up and made good. It's easy to think had Lana ended up with powers she'd pretty much be like the Superman from Morrison's ACTION run. I never cared for the Post-Crisis version until after INFINITE CRISIS. Up until then she came off as a victim of sorts, which made me uncomfortable but, of course that comes mostly from how Byrne used (and abused her )in his stories. I liked what Sterling Gates did with her in the Supergirl book and the work Kurt Busiek did to get her there in his SUPERMAN run. Pre-Crisis she was essentially Lois-Lite even so far as becoming a reporter/news anchor, although I appreciate the bronze age writers for actually using her to make Clark more 'real' via a relationship with him. The whole fake european accent thing though they gave her in that era (i.e., her calling everyone "Luv" for a time in the 70's) got annoying, though.

As far as live action goes I'd say my favorite Lana was the one from the SUPERBOY series. She was the best thing that came out of that series. Next would be Annette O' Toole from SUPERMAN III. Dead last is SMALLVILLE Lana, especially post- Season 3, although that's no fault of Kristin Kruek but more the writers for drawing out the Clark/Lana ship far past it's expiration date. She should have been written out after Season IV, IMO.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 10-24-2015 at 08:30 AM.