Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I think he is evil...

The only thing I don't like about Val-Zod is his name. It must be Val-Zd. (Or Halk Kar or any other).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Interesting thread.

I will never understand that about you americans. I'm from southamerica, and i wore superman costumes but never wonder why he wasnt latino.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    I think it's great that the OP has a character he can look up to and find the posts that are trying to take validity away from his enjoyment in poor taste. Saying he can't love Val-Zod or that Val shouldn't exist because of other black Supermen existing before seems selfish to me.
    Thanks for the steering the thread back onto its original course. Now I would just wish the Society book would bring him to the forefront more. I've only picked up two books, issue 1 and issue 5 and I think he appeared in a total of five panels.

Quote Originally Posted by bholderman View Post
    Thanks for the steering the thread back onto its original course. Now I would just wish the Society book would bring him to the forefront more. I've only picked up two books, issue 1 and issue 5 and I think he appeared in a total of five panels.
    i completely agree (to both your statements). val is such an interesting character and i actually wish he had his own book so i could just read that instead of the odd issues of earth 2. how do we contact dc about it? at the very least they should see the first post by leo.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    his upcoming costume looks so awesome
    i didnt know about this -- i hope its as great as his current one, which i love! thanks for starting this thread and sharing your experience.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I like his current look, whether it's new or not. Mainly comes down to the color scheme as I hate yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    I will never understand that about you americans. I'm from southamerica, and i wore superman costumes but never wonder why he wasnt latino.
    I largely take the culture for granted, like things about it (particularly this race issue) are simple to the point of being dull or dumb. But surprisingly, it seems a lot of people think otherwise.

*shrug*

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I like his current look, whether it's new or not. Mainly comes down to the color scheme as I hate yellow.

I largely take the culture for granted, like things about it (particularly this race issue) are simple to the point of being dull or dumb. But surprisingly, it seems a lot of people think otherwise.

*shrug*
    This goes back to the quote in the quote, which Ive actually been sitting on for a few days.

Unfortunately, the identification of race, especially the physical characteristics, are something that we in the United States cannot escape from as much as we try. Over the history of the UNited States, we have fought and argued, marching towards some ideal that we established for ourselves. It's a noble one, but then some nutball does something stupid, the media gets a hold of things and we are suddenly arguing about race again, hardening those boundaries even further in some instances.

In fact, for me personally, I don't get it most of the time. It's been drummed into my head since I was a kid to live and let live, skin color and sexual preference doesn't matter etc etc, that when debates on the issue creep up in the modern day, or someone comes out of the closet, I simply have a hard time understanding why.

Midnighter is gay, ok whatever.

AN alternate version of Superman is black, ok whatever.

And the great thing about Superman, is that some kid in Thailand, Columbia, Ethipoia or the USA and imagine himself as Superman or being saved by him.
    Last edited by bholderman; 10-24-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: addendum

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd have gone back to edit my post, but I guess it's too late. I just realized that what I said could seem like the opposite. What I actually mean is that to me at least, it's really obvious why it matters to people. Like you said, stance on race is a part of what many people grow up with, and it's utterly constant. As it's been said many times on the topic of race (and race in comics), the idea of color blindness doesn't hold steady across the board because it's difficult to say that ignoring difference erases it, or that it should be erased in the first place, or that the idea promotes acceptance. But in the end, tons of people in and out of the US say "who cares?" because they don't, and it is what it is.

Not that I intend to drift things away from the actual topic, Val Zod, but the elephant will accompany him into each room.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'd have gone back to edit my post, but I guess it's too late. I just realized that what I said could seem like the opposite. What I actually mean is that to me at least, it's really obvious why it matters to people. Like you said, stance on race is a part of what many people grow up with, and it's utterly constant. As it's been said many times on the topic of race (and race in comics), the idea of color blindness doesn't hold steady across the board because it's difficult to say that ignoring difference erases it, or that it should be erased in the first place, or that the idea promotes acceptance. But in the end, tons of people in and out of the US say "who cares?" because they don't, and it is what it is.

Not that I intend to drift things away from the actual topic, Val Zod, but the elephant will accompany him into each room.
    Completely agree to all points, well said.