View Poll Results: Looking at the whole Azzarello run in Wonder Woman, which best describes how you feel?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • A – Fantastic storytelling that kept you riveted. For long time WW readers among the top five runs.

100 42.19%
  • B – Very good storytelling, some flaws but they were minor. You looked forward to every issue.

59 24.89%
  • C Okay. Got every issue & mostly enjoyed it but felt some important things could have been better.

36 15.19%
  • D Poor. Were significant things you found unsatisfying. Maybe you only got it for completeness.

11 4.64%
  • E – Awful. Major things that prevente you enjoying it. Maybe you didn’t buy every issue.

31 13.08%
Page 1 of 104 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Azzarello - The Final Judgement.

It's time. Cast your votes.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Can there be an F option for people who were so uninterested in the run, they didn't buy ANY issues?

Astonishing Member

C+

Biggest pro: Diana. Kudos to Azzarello for not writing her like early 52 Johns. A-

Biggest con: Hippolyta, the Amazons, and some of the goddesses. Just as the story of Batman is more than just Bruce, and the story of Superman is more than just Kal, the story of Wonder Woman is more than just Diana. The "flaws," imo, are more than just minor. D-

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    Can there be an F option for people who were so uninterested in the run, they didn't buy ANY issues?
    LOL. Sorry, Javier. You will have to settle for E.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Actually I am trying to decide on what mark to give it myself - the difficulty is to judge it on its own merits and not just compared to other New52 writing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    I'd say those people shouldn't be giving their opinion on the run, if they didn't read it.

BANNED

Anyway, A. Gorgeous art, excellent characterisation, fun cast, strong themes, couldn't ask for more.

Best Wonder Woman run ever. I expect it to remain it that way for some time, given the shoddy writers and varying quality that have marked the book and character over the past few decades if they're indicative of the usual people who write this book- and I guess kind of are, considering who's going to follow it up.

(Though this doesn't include WW: Earth One, considering that's an out-of-canon standalone story, which I also expect Morrison and Paquette to knock out of the park)

Spectacular Member teardropmina's Avatar

I have problem with A descriptions, non WW longtime readers who love the run shouldn't be allowed to pick that option.

for me, between C and D

sometimes enjoyable, occasionally brilliant.

however, the who Zeus born dragging on too long. then, intentionally avoiding Diana/WW origin yet tweaking and altering origins from the past to serve the Zeus born narrative. left too many unsolved and unfinished business.
    after 3 years, Diana is the only major New 52 superhero who has a broken and fragmentary origin.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Anyway, A. Gorgeous art, excellent characterisation, fun cast, strong themes, couldn't ask for more.

Best Wonder Woman run ever. I expect it to remain it that way for some time, given the shoddy writers and varying quality that have marked the book and character over the past few decades if they're indicative of the usual people who write this book- and I guess kind of are, considering who's going to follow it up.

(Though this doesn't include WW: Earth One, considering that's an out-of-canon standalone story, which I also expect Morrison and Paquette to knock out of the park)

What past Wonder Woman runs have you read completely?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

I voted A (perhaps to no one' surprise), but B, as phrased, also is true for me; every run of every comic has at least some minor flaws.

"F" sounds like "Fail." Wouldn't this be more like "N" as in "Not graded. Did not read. No basis for judgement"?

I noticed that the much-missed Sonofbaldwin voted (assuming that this is the original Sonofbaldwin, from before the forums' "reboot.".) I wanted to say a warm "welcome back!"--and I'm glad, and a little surprised, that you were able to give the run a C. If you feel like it, I'd love to hear about what you thought in the end.

Needless to say, that goes for you, too, Awonder! (ETA--Now I see that Awonder had already posted. Cool.)
    Last edited by Silvanus; 11-02-2014 at 06:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm sure the majority of you can guess how I voted.

In case you can't, I'll sum up how I feel. A 3 year contract without much of any editorial interference and this is what we got out of it? Diana, Hippolyta, the Amazons and some of the Olypmians have been sullied in one way or another. The 3 years were mostly spent developing and building up the public domain Olympians instead of a majority of original DC characters. Lots of questions were raised by this new run yet few were completely answered in the end. The skeleton of the story may have been enjoyable to some but when you look at all of the pointless changes, plot-holes, nauseating puns, and the inconsistent art, I can't go with any other option but "E".
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I voted A (perhaps to no one' surprise), but B, as phrased, also is true for me; every run of every comic has at least some minor flaws.
    I think exactly the same.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

BANNED

I really liked the final issue. Overall, well Azzarello said he was intentionally avoiding the themes that I was looking for (e.g. cheesecake and two characters from Wonder Woman's rogues gallery, as the main antagonists), in his most recent interview. But, outside of my favorite themes, the run had a pace that was too slow for a comic book setting; the run would have felt better, if it had a pace comparable to the last 3 issues or so; the pace of the last issue was the Goldilocks rate; had the run flowed like the last issue, it would have been better; I'll remember the issues inside Hades very well; Hippolyta and the Amazons getting changed by Hera; Hephaestus's introduction; and Poseidon's introduction; I liked this form of Poseidon, the best.
    Last edited by dshipp17; 11-02-2014 at 07:17 AM.

I'll give it a C. When it first started, I'd probably do a B, but as the series went on, I'd give it a D, so I'm compromising.

Pros:
    • Diana is really well-written, with the exception of a few questionable actions (testicle-grabbing comes to mind). She is compassionate, she is strong (for the most part), but still with a bit of Marston bite to her.
    • The art was beyond amazing. I love the cartoon-ish style, and Wonder Woman looked formidable rather than waifish, which sometimes can be the case. Many of the Gods had great designs that made them stand out much more than in previous runs where they used togas.
    • Hera was by far the stand-out character of the run. It was very entertaining watching her descent into humanity.

Cons:
    • Too many characters, not enough Diana. It felt more like an ensemble book, which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't detest many of the supporting characters. And because Diana's depiction was on the pro, I would've liked to see much, much more of her.
    • The First Born is one of the most uninspiring villains Diana has ever faced. Like I said before, he seems like what a 12 year old boy thinks is a cool villain. There's little to no depth with the character, and he isn't a villain you "love to hate." Apollo was much greater as a villain, or Cassandra, and I wish they were the big bads rather than a hulking lump of veins.
    • Little to no references to past runs. Steve Trevor only appeared in the Origins issue, and Azzarello got rid of Artemis and Phillipus in favor of his own creations Aleka and Dessa, which is a big slap in the face to longtime readers who had invested many years into the characters, as well as the creators who worked on them. Also, his complete unwillingness to use any of her classic rogues puts a sour taste in my mouth.
    • Many of the plot elements introduced throughout the run were never resolved, which is unfortunate. They could've easily ditched many of the later story elements in order to wrap up earlier ones (really, we needed Poseidon vying for the throne in the last issue instead of resolution with Hippolyta? Or all the emphasis of the Minotaur being the one she faced before which we all knew instead of wrapping things up with Hera and the others?). It felt like an unsatisfying way to end 3 years of commitment, especially since I never considered the friendship between Diana and Zola (who was awful) to be the main plot point of the series.
    • The New Gods. Seriously, what was Azzarello doing with them? I feel like he wanted to write a New Gods book but used Wonder Woman to do so. I'm a fan of the New Gods, and Orion, but I wasn't happy with Orion's portrayal for the most part.
    • The change in origin isn't my cup of tea. Instead of the whimsical born-from-clay origin, she's now basically She-Hercules. I don't HATE the origin change, but it definitely is an unremarkable one. I do hate the Amazons-rape-raids, though.

Spectacular Member teardropmina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post
    When it first started, I'd probably do a B, but as the series went on, I'd give it a D, so I'm compromising.
    lol, this pretty much mirrored my experience for the past 3 years~