Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Not Your Grandfather's Superhero Team: The Outsiders Appreciation Thread

This is an appreciation thread dedicated to the greatness that is/was the Outsiders. Man, I miss these guys.

Extraordinary Member

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Now that is an awesome teamup.

Incredible Member

Bring the Outsiders back!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My favorite incarnations were the original team and the Tomasi group with the Creeper and Owlman. Hopefully we see these guys come together at some point in the New 52.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    My favorite incarnations were the original team and the Tomasi group with the Creeper and Owlman. Hopefully we see these guys come together at some point in the New 52.
    I, myself, was pretty partial to Judd Winick's relaunch of the team. Not just because of the line-up, but also their purpose: to combat threats before they became threats.

Always Rakzo

I love The Outsiders from Barr's original run to Winick's (especially Winick's). Although I didn't care for Dixon's relaunch and while I thought that Tomasi's had potential, he never reached it completely.

I currently anticipating the Green Arrow and The Outsiders incarnation (hope it happens soon).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I currently anticipating the Green Arrow and The Outsiders incarnation (hope it happens soon).
    Yeah, but that Outsiders is completely different from the Pre-New 52 Outsiders. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and the execution, but it just seems like Lemire just used the name Outsiders because it was available. The Pre-New 52 Outsiders were so called because they were a superhero team made up of weirdos and freaks that didn't "fit in" with the handsome, dashing, swashbuckling stereotype that was present in many of the JLA members. Sort of like the Doom Patrol. Lemire's Outsiders are a collection of seven ancient clans that represent seven different weapons. Like I said, an incredibly compelling concept, but still completely different.

I kind of wish Lemire had gone with a different name (something that sounded more ancient), so that we could relaunch an Outsiders book with the line-up of Metamorpho, Black Lightning, Blue Devil, Grace Choi, and Katana. They could then maybe have team ups with Green Arrow, which would definitely be a possibility, given Katana and Arrow's newfound connection.

I mean what clan would Metamorpho represent? The Clan of....Chemical Weapons?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Yeah, but that Outsiders is completely different from the Pre-New 52 Outsiders. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and the execution, but it just seems like Lemire just used the name Outsiders because it was available. The Pre-New 52 Outsiders were so called because they were a superhero team made up of weirdos and freaks that didn't "fit in" with the handsome, dashing, swashbuckling stereotype that was present in many of the JLA members. Sort of like the Doom Patrol. Lemire's Outsiders are a collection of seven ancient clans that represent seven different weapons. Like I said, an incredibly compelling concept, but still completely different.
    Which was kinda silly considering that aside from Metamorpho, all the members from the original team were damn good looking.

I kind of wish Lemire had gone with a different name (something that sounded more ancient), so that we could relaunch an Outsiders book with the line-up of Metamorpho, Black Lightning, Blue Devil, Grace Choi, and Katana. They could then maybe have team ups with Green Arrow, which would definitely be a possibility, given Katana and Arrow's newfound connection.
    Yeah, I also wish these guys could get home in another team book.

As long as it has a competent premise to reunite them.

I love The Outsiders from Barr's original run to Winick's (especially Winick's). Although I didn't care for Dixon's relaunch and while I thought that Tomasi's had potential, he never reached it completely.

Yes, because giving Ollie the team that was created to be 'Batman's team' will only do wonders for his reputation as a Batman clone.

Brilliant idea, chief.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yes, because giving Ollie the team that was created to be 'Batman's team' will only do wonders for his reputation as a Batman clone.

Brilliant idea, chief.
    Well that's actually what's currently happening and since the team doesn't have the same focus nor history it doesn't counts as "Batman's team" anymore.

And GA hasn't been a Batman clone for decades now.

Well that's actually what's currently happening and since the team doesn't have the same focus nor history it doesn't counts as "Batman's team" anymore.

And GA hasn't been a Batman clone for decades now.
    In-universe, yes. Out of it; no. Historically the team has always been associated with the Bat-world.

I know and I want to keep it that way.

Last edited by John Venus; 05-10-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I liked that incarnation as well and would love to see it again.

Extraordinary Member

This thread needs more awesome pictures.