small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default Maleficent - next big fantasy title

I think Monstress followers, and fans of similar titles will definitely enjoy this. Sure it's a Disney-movie title. Set that aside: it has next to nothing to do with the comic other than providing the lead character.
    To me, the graphics artwork is spectacular: lush, well delineated, clean, and sumptuously colored.
    The dialogue is spare, narration rare to non-existent. Characterization, even given she's basically the evil witch one would expect, is nonetheless restrained, even subtle. Situations so far, less magical than acceptably everyday. And everything works toward an integral, self-supporting story.
    Issue 3, newest issue, relies heavily on pages of wordless storytelling, allowing the artwork to carry the story, spectacularly.
    I'm thinking this will be the comic fantasy fans will be slowly discovering and going rave for.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Extraordinary Member

Not that we discussed it that much but: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...e-s-Maleficent