Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is anyone else excited for Maxima's return?

So Maxima is coming back the 19th of this month in Supergirl#36. Who else is ready for the fiery monarch to make her grand entrance into the New 52? And if you are, what are your expectations?

Maxima on the cover of Supergirl #36.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Maybe you would be better off asking this to the people who visit the Superman section of the Forum, rather than here in the more general DC Comics section?

Agreed, Maxima has her fans in that forum but no so much here.

For the record though, Im interested. I'll see what they do with her before I get too overjoyed.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Yes, and I'm excited that Johnson is part of it. Reign was originally intended to be a Maxima revamp. I'm not sure if I care that she ended up being her own character or not (she certainly stands on her own as a new character and is not so specifically "a totally revised Maxima". I do like the idea of Maxima retaining some of her main qualities.

But Johnson's involved, so there's also the possibility of some kind of Maxima/Reign interaction in the future!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I look forward to seeing her again! Didn't even know that she was appearing in Supergirl. Used to love the character, she was a great member of the Justice League and tangoed with Doomsday. Hope they treat the character good but nice to see her brought back again.

I never believed she "died" in the old DC Universe. It was so open ended, just ready for any writer who cared to bring her back when they needed.

I guess no one needed too ... until now.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Yes, and I'm excited that Johnson is part of it. Reign was originally intended to be a Maxima revamp. I'm not sure if I care that she ended up being her own character or not (she certainly stands on her own as a new character and is not so specifically "a totally revised Maxima". I do like the idea of Maxima retaining some of her main qualities.

But Johnson's involved, so there's also the possibility of some kind of Maxima/Reign interaction in the future!
    I strongly believed that whole "Reign" thing was basically a setup to see the reaction of people who remembered her.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I'm excited! We need more awesome, ass-kicking ladies in the New 52, and Maxima can fit that bill nicely.

Go, Maxima!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I love Maxima. I didn't even know she was coming back. Have we been shown her full design yet?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm excited! We need more awesome, ass-kicking ladies in the New 52, and Maxima can fit that bill nicely.

Go, Maxima!
    ahaha! yes!!!!!!! I hope she has her original powerset too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I love Maxima. I didn't even know she was coming back. Have we been shown her full design yet?
    Nope, I was hoping to get a glimpse of it in the preview pages for supergirl#36 but sadly, nothing ....
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

Go, Maxima!
    Quoted for truth! My sentiments exactly!

Definitely intrigued to see what direction her character will be taken

Ultimate Member

I am. But I hope that they give her deeper/more complex motivations than "I want to bang Superman/members of his family" this time around.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I am. But I hope that they give her deeper/more complex motivations than "I want to bang Superman/members of his family" this time around.
    First? That was never Maxima's sole motivation. She tried to make Superman her mate in like one or two stories. After that? She found other things to occupy her time. Oh, she was still interested in Superman, and expressed that interest a few times. But it's a massive exaggeration to say that it was ever her sole motivation.

Second? That seems almost a certainty, since she's going to be part of Kara's supporting cast, this time around. Unless Maxima tries to seduce Kara while they're at this school together, then it could be quite a while before Maxima goes anywhere near Superman. And while I wouldn't mind seeing Kara being advanced upon by a hot, curvy redhead, I doubt DC will go that way.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    I never believed she "died" in the old DC Universe. It was so open ended, just ready for any writer who cared to bring her back when they needed.
    Ha ha. I'd love to disagree (she got disintegrated, and had an epic death at that), but it's hard to do so when her consort for that arc, Massacre, was killed off in a previous story, we saw it happen and his resurrection story was basically "I got better". It was perfectly possible for some future writer to explain that she was teleported to safety against her will or something.

I'm a bit wary of the new angle, tagging 'Hogwarts crossed with a Star Destroyer' really didn't help me (okay, I'm cool with the Star Destroyer part), but I'll give it a go as Johnson's last run was good and I am interested in the new Maxima.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Maxima is the only reason I am even considering picking this up.

I think this "school for cosmic beings" thing could work really well for her character depending on how they spin it. If its still basically the Maxima we had post-Crisis, only younger....this could be really good. If memory serves, Maxima did "study abroad" in various other galactic governments and institutions before becoming the queen of Almerac and this just takes the concept and runs with it.

However, the margin for error here is really, really wide. It'd be easy to screw this up, turn her into nothing more than the "popular/bitchy kid in class" and make a mockery of what she had been.

But I'll be giving it a chance.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.