Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Is Lyra even going ot get an issue? Seeing how Kitty Pryde is the next issue...they might jut make her a minor defeat...

I really think they're doing this so that they can just keep One Hulk now...
    That's certainly Doc Green's goal. Doc Green wants to rid the world of gamma weapons and gamma-powered people...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Another great issue in one of the best Hulk stories ever - definitely one of the very best in recent years. I liked the twist of Betty being dosed with the antidote prior to the fight. It made for a good change of pace and showed Doc Green's use of strategy over simply relying on his strength. As for those who wanted a bigger fight, that seems to be a common complaint with this storyline but, really, how boring would it be to waste page after page in an extended brawl with each and every Hulk? We've been getting some good fights but it's unreasonable to expect every battle - whether it be with Rick, Skaar, Betty, or anyone else - to sprawl its way over the course of a full issue or more. Within 20 pages a story still has to be told and a fight can only take up so much space.

As for Rick being accepting of his cure, it's possible that it will be revealed that Doc Green has put something in the nanites in the formula to make the recipients more docile and accepting of their new condition. Who knows, we could find out that Doc Green is not curing anybody but rather seeking to control when and where they transform. Or maybe Doc Green really is looking to be the last Hulk standing. Whatever way it goes, the story ain't over yet.

And I love the last page where Doc Green hulks out, looking for something to break, and simply snaps a pencil in two. Brilliant!
    Glad you enjoyed it. 8 is better than 7, 9 is better than 8 - 10 is almost nonstop fighting. Glad you're having fun.

What does Doc Green think of other realities? He's certainly aware that Lyra is from an alternate universe--does he plan to start depowering alternate Hulks next?

On top of that, I'd still like to know what happened to the Maestro--buried under a pile of rock since 1998. Guy's gotta come out sometime!

(Seriously, I'm liking this arc even if I'll miss some of the depowered Hulks.)

Preview.

This ish? Good. It was was not bad at all - certainly not near as much as the previous 2 depowerings were. Tying up WHO SHOT HULK? Good. Certainly better than dragging it on. Tying in the crappy Ancient Order of SHIELD, Terranomacguffinmeter, and one of the dull lackey scientitst? Good. Makes those canon elements a bit curious. The Doc Samson scene? Good. In fact, it was VERY interesing. The depowering of Betty with the lazy codename. VERY good. Long overdue. The only shame will be missing how awesomely gorgeous she was most often drawn as the smackin' scarlet superheroine - case in point:
    betty.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    What does Doc Green think of other realities? He's certainly aware that Lyra is from an alternate universe--does he plan to start depowering alternate Hulks next?

On top of that, I'd still like to know what happened to the Maestro--buried under a pile of rock since 1998. Guy's gotta come out sometime!

(Seriously, I'm liking this arc even if I'll miss some of the depowered Hulks.)
    I'll leave you with this hint: Doc Green has a plan for Lyra, but it's not in a needle. We've enjoyed a lot of big science so far, and sometimes big scientific ideas get away from even the smartest of us. Glad you enjoyed 8, and I know you'll enjoy 9...

Quote Originally Posted by gerryduggan View Post
    Really? I'm surprised. Even if you don't love what happened to the character, isn't it fun to see these toys being played with? Betty is definitely a toy that was showing some most wear and tear, but I've tried to honor all the story that came before, even the contradictory or difficult pieces.

To those of you that want to see bigger fights - I wish I had 30 pages. I will say without hyperbole that the back end of 9 and then continuing into 10, 11 -- is almost non-stop action, including round one of Red Hulk, plus a guest star from a couple of lawyers, and Doc Green hasn't forgotten about Lyra...
    Yes!!! Thank you very much for touching on what Jeff Parker had done in Red She-Hulk. The plot twist Who Shot Banner was a pleasant surprise.
    I can't wait to find out Doc Green's motivation?

I want Betty to come back in some form. Preferably still as sexy as her red form.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I want Betty to come back in some form. Preferably still as sexy as her red form.
    I'll put some rouge on her cheeks for you. Betty has a role to play in the short term, and a different role to play later.

kuzuryugawa

I like what has been done during this run of the Hulk. In particular, I enjoyed how the annual connected to the current storyline involving Doc Green. I hope you all do not mind if I pose a few questions:

1) So far, Doc Green's gamma "hit list" has not included past enemies (e.g., Red Leader, Madman (if he is around), the Riot Squad) and other gamma-irradiated people (e.g., Gamma Corps). Will this be addressed in the future?

2) Will Banner's need for control be discussed? Based on what I have read, the only time Banner does not assert his dominance is during life-threatening circumstances (Planet Hulk, for example) or when he has been incapacitated. Whatever his reasons, Banner refuses to permit any Hulk to enjoy freedom, except for the Savage Hulk. Then again, Savage Hulk is easy to manipulate, and lacks the foresight to plan ahead (i.e., remove Banner).

3) Related to the second question, why have not any of the more intelligent Hulks hired Matt Murdock or She-Hulk, and placed Banner on trial for imprisonment? Banner and the Hulks share the same body, but each has distinct personalities. Banner, in my opinion, is the warden. He seldom allows any Hulk, aside from Savage, to be "on parole". Banner is basically depriving the other Hulks from experiencing the same privileges he has. A case could be made against any Hulk who attempted to do the same to Banner. However, each Hulk desires independence, never wanting to erase Banner from existence (as far as I understand). Banner has no qualms about removing all Hulks from his life. Banner's needs are primary, not any of the Hulks.

4) Will there be an explanation as to why the Savage Hulk became the default Hulk? After the events of Incredible Hulk (Vol. 3), it appeared that Banner and Hulk reconciled. But, Indestructible Hulk ignored what happened, and Banner's character development regressed.

5) How much longer will Doc Green be featured? I enjoy his character, and so far, he has used his intelligence to solve problems (a refreshing change). I am not being a pessimist when I state this: based on the history of the Hulk, at some point, Banner will resurface, take control and suppress another Hulk, releasing the Savage Hulk when the situation calls for it.

Thank you for your patience!

Astonishing Member

Is Sasquatch from Alpha Flight still gamma powered?

BANNED

Glad you enjoyed it. 8 is better than 7, 9 is better than 8 - 10 is almost nonstop fighting. Glad you're having fun.
    Glad to hear that! I'm really enjoying this arc!

All-New Member

Good issue. Finally good to get that reveal of who shot Banner and why.

This might be in the minority opinion, but depower all the Hulks except Hulk and She-Hulk. Status quo needs to be reset. Nothing against Red She-Hulk and of course Skaar (actually, I'd like to see him powered up in the near future but I'm happy that he's at least in the world now), but we've had way too many Hulks running around for a few years now. No reason Hulk's entire supporting cast needs to turn into Hulks, so I hope this new status quo kinda remains for a bit and that Red Hulk gets the **** beat out of him. Freaking Ross...

I'll leave you with this hint: Doc Green has a plan for Lyra, but it's not in a needle. We've enjoyed a lot of big science so far, and sometimes big scientific ideas get away from even the smartest of us. Glad you enjoyed 8, and I know you'll enjoy 9...
    Hmmm, now I'm genuinely curious about Lyra's fate.

BANNED

My thoughts on HULK #8

I enjoyed Hulk #8 A LOT more than the previous issue. It's an improvement. It wasn't a perfect issue, but it's still good in my opinion. I'm just glad we finally solved the lame mystery of who shot Banner, because in all honesty it wasn't that interesting to begin with.

And my guess on who done it was right on the money, but I must admit that I didn't think Betty would be involved. SHIELD and Miss Leucenstern, yeah. Betty Ross-Banner? Didn't see that coming at all.

I will admit that it was pretty heartless that Betty put the hit out on Bruce in the first place. I mean, even after everything they've been through, Bruce would have never done something like this to her. Damn, that was a shocking reveal. Pretty cold and interesting, too. Not cool, Betty. You should know by now that nothing can kill the Hulk!

On the side note, I'm rather intrigued by the extinction-level threat Banner may cause or be a part of. And I have a feeling that Doc Green is going to take down the Order of the SHIELD, especially if they still feel he's a threat. I'm also wondering/hoping that Doc Green is a prelude to the Maestro.

And I have a feeling that the Hulks aren't as depowered as we're led to believe. Doc Green could have easily made a failsafe in his cure, one that allows them to Hulk-Out if they're in danger. Or perhaps a more sinister intention, like Doc Green controlling them for missions or world conquest or aiding him against a future galactic threat. If that's the case, I'm glad because I've come to accept most of the Hulks. However, I'm still hoping that Doc Green kills Red Hulk/General Ross. If there's one Hulk that needs to go permanently, it's has got to be him!

More or less, this issue was Duggan cleaning up the waste left behind from Waid's mediocre/lame run. Hated that story with the mentally handicapped Banner and that lame Abomination zombie clone. Ugh! Just thinking of Waid's piece of garbage run turns my stomach. It's amazing how much the series actually improved after his departure.

I really loved the art and humor of the issue. And while the fight was very short, with Doc Green not even fighting back, it was still nicely handled and understandable as to why he did not wish to engage in a conflict with the woman that he once loved.

However, I still have a few inquiries.

Why was Doc Samson's corpse completely intact in the casket?

It doesn't make sense due to him being reduced to a meaty skeleton during Incredible Hulk #610. Unless... beings who are Hulked-Out never truly die and only enter a comatose-like state of death until they heal. That'd explain some things. And it could quite possibly mean the surprise return of favorite heroic, gamma-empowered psychologist later down the road.

What happened to Dr. Leucenstern after Doc Green confronted her about her shooting Banner several times in the head?

Did Doc Green let her go... or did something more horrific happen to her? If Doc Green is a prelude to Maestro, she may have suffered quite a gruesome fate. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

What is the massive extinction-level threat that Banner/Hulk will cause?

I think we have a good idea. Yes, Maestro killing everything/everyone and claiming Earth/the 616-Universe and its inhabitants as his own under his tyrannical rule.

All in all, a fun issue, if nothing else. Really enjoyed it.

BANNED

That's certainly Doc Green's goal. Doc Green wants to rid the world of gamma weapons and gamma-powered people...
    Ah, but the question is: Why is he doing it and is it as permanent as we readers (and the Hulks, at least) believe?

Am I right?