Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Comments like his,and Halle Berry are why their are certain people despite their talents. Should not being doing films based on comicbook material. If you aren't into it and you have no respect for the genre. Then don't bother. Cause you will look like a fake in front of fans at any of the comicons. People like Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Jackman don't hide or dislike that they did these roles. In fact,they give them great praise and even Jackman admits that he wouldn't be where he is now without Wolverine. Tom even cried at a Marvel gala event at the thought that he wouldn't be doing Loki anymore.

Some actors respect the material and don't say it like "oh yeah that comicbook stuff" as if it's not written well, or taken seriously.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer009 View Post
    I really like Idris, he's arguably the biggest black actor out there right now, on that note idk why he took this role, he's to big a star for such a meaningless character. I understand they went left field and made the character black for him, but honestly he should of still passed, he's a bigger name than the actor playing the title role. He's seems like a nice humble dude but sometimes you just gotta say no, and I think he's wishing he had now.
    I think that he initially took the role for the same reason that Natalie Portman did, to work with Kenneth Branagh (who they both really respect/admire). I remember reading an interview where he said that Branagh personally called him and asked him to play the part.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Yes the more crossover the better

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    He comes off sounding kind of resentful at having to act in these films.

Definitely going to be a set up for the next Thor film.
    Who does, Elba, or Hiddleston?

And, left wondering where this leads. Will it be setting up Ragnarok? Will it have some bearing on Civil War?

Will Thor find out about Lokis' deception, or Thor have some help from Heimdall? I just don't know, and it'll be interesting to find out.

Though some might prefer that Loki didn't appear at all, and must focus on the twins, Ultron, Hydra, or Baron Wolfgang von Strucker.

But, a great villain, a top performance, and hopefully have a good link to the greater MCU, Infinity Saga and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Who does, Elba, or Hiddleston?
    He is referring to Elba.

Though honestly, it's not like he is hating the movies or the role. He played Mandela one day and the next day he was playing an alien space god swinging on a harness in front of a green screen. I can understand being frustrated with having to do the switch and I believe that's what he was expressing and not that he was ashamed or hates the superhero genre.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Miracleman View Post
    Comments like his,and Halle Berry are why their are certain people despite their talents. Should not being doing films based on comicbook material. If you aren't into it and you have no respect for the genre. Then don't bother. Cause you will look like a fake in front of fans at any of the comicons. People like Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Jackman don't hide or dislike that they did these roles. In fact,they give them great praise and even Jackman admits that he wouldn't be where he is now without Wolverine. Tom even cried at a Marvel gala event at the thought that he wouldn't be doing Loki anymore.

Some actors respect the material and don't say it like "oh yeah that comicbook stuff" as if it's not written well, or taken seriously.
    So every actor/actress needs to be a fan to play said part? Good luck with that, thats sound pretty silly if you ask me.

Doesn't sound like he hates the movies or the genre (not like he's afraid of genre movies - Prometheus and Pacific Rim)...I think it sounded like the guy was exhausted and had just wrapped a movie that was pretty intense for him mentally (mandela) and then found himself dangling from a harness with a big costume, helmet, etc on.....

EDIT: Not to mention he was in the Losers and one of those awful Ghost Rider flicks too.....

I was sad he took the role in Thor as I thought he'd make a better leading hero....Luke Cage or even Black Panther for example. Of course Cage will be on Netflix now....so scratch that idea...but imagine Elba suiting up as Panther (not to knock Boseman, who I also like and maybe more suited to the role with a smaller/more agile build than Elba).
    Last edited by bobellis75; 11-03-2014 at 10:41 AM.

BANNED

I think you misunderstood him.

Quote Originally Posted by Idris Elba
    "I'd just done eight months in South Africa," Elba said of the "Long Walk to Freedom" production. "I came to England and the day I came back I had to do reshoots on 'Thor 2.' I was like, 'This is torture, man. I don't want to do this.'..."
    He was upset about the quick turnover, not the role he had to play. Sure, he complained about the wirework and costume but those were only adding to his torment, not causing it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Doesn't sound like he hates the movies or the genre (not like he's afraid of genre movies - Prometheus and Pacific Rim)...I think it sounded like the guy was exhausted and had just wrapped a movie that was pretty intense for him mentally (mandela) and then found himself dangling from a harness with a big costume, helmet, etc on.....

Pretty much this and to add to it he has a wife and kids so I imagine I'd be ticked to that after being away from them for a while I'd be peeved that I'm told immediately upon my return to kiss them goodby and get back to work

Even with promoting the fact he's in a non Thor sequel while on another job says he's happy to play that character still but folks just gotta be pissed if some actors ain't smiling 24/7

BANNED

Sorry but I am so tired of Loki. So so so so so so so tired.

My guess is that at the end of the film Heimdall summons Thor back to Asgard because he realizes that Loki is impersonating Odin and has (perhaps) released Surtur. This would easily explain Thor leaving the Avengers and heading back to Asgard to "fix things" when in fact Ragnarok is looming.

Extraordinary Member

Probably adds to Ultrons ideas of humans being puppets. He has Wanda show Thor the 'truth'.

He didn't say he hates comic books or doesn't respect the material, he was saying he found The Dark World to be frustrating and time consuming, especially with all the reshoots.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    He didn't say he hates comic books or doesn't respect the material, he was saying he found The Dark World to be frustrating and time consuming, especially with all the reshoots.
    Which makes sense considering how poorly constructed a film it was, thematically.