All-New Member

Default Newbie looking for advice..

Just recently obtained (in last 6 months) the comic bug obsession that is now running my life...I'm all over the place when it comes to comics..enjoy collecting silver age Superman and Captain America, however recently have gotten into new comics (Saga, Thief of Thieves, X-O Manowar, Revival, Wytches). While I'm not only interested in buying comics to remain in a case and unread, I'm interested in buying worthwhile comics that I can read once, board/bag, and then hopefully they will be worth something down the road. Of the newer series (in the last 3-4 years, are there any I should consider investing in the back issues of? Anything new coming out that will be worth my money? Again, not just an investment, I also really enjoy reading these as well. Sorry for being a newbie..Looking for some advice here....Thanks!

Matt

*Also, if this would be better served being under a different thread/group..lemme know..Thanks everyone!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Most recently published comics won't be worth much later. Almost every comic published after the 80s doesn't have much worth. There are some exceptions to the rule though:
    The modern comics that are worth a lot of money right now (Ultimate Spider-Man #1, Walking Dead #1, Saga #1 etc.) All have the same thing in common. The runs are highly acclaimed, the runs (usually) run for a long time, it's either the first issue or the first appearance of a character that will become prominent later (or another key moment) and it has to have a low print run (it also doesn't hurt if it gets adapted to movie or tv like Walking Dead). The low print part is key here mostly, because a comic can have all the elements stated above and still be worth less than a dollar if a lot of people have it. A comic can be in high demand but unless the comic is rare, people aren't going to pay a lot for it.

Now, even with all this knowledge it's all speculation (how can you tell if a run is going to be highly acclaimed or adapted? And even if you can tell, there's a high chance other people can tell too so the comic will sell tons of copies which will lower the value). Take for example Spawn. It's one of the most popular runs ever, it lasted over 250 issues (and is still going), it was adapted to a movie and an animated show and is prominent in popular culture. Yet, I've seen people sell #1 for under $5 because Spawn #1 sold tons of copies so it isn't rare.

In the end it all depends on the buyer though. Like we say in Holland "it's what a crazy man wants to pay for it". If you can find someone who wants, for example, Wytches #1 a lot but can't find a copy anywhere, you can possibly sell it to him for a high price. But like I said, if the market was predictable copies everyone would invest in it. It's all a big guessing game which you are likely to lose if it's purely about profits.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Btw, do you also want recommendations based on qualoty of the comics? If you want to list your preferences regarding comics (genre, writers, artists, characters, era etc.) I could try to make a nice list for you.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I'm all over the place with what I like to read..I can read old school Superman, yet really enjoy Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Wake, etc..I'm essentially looking for a recent comic in the last 2 years or so that is a great read, yet also potentially a great investment in the future...I know the new Captain America is coming out soon, however I'm reluctant to get it considering it doesn't seem to hold much value going forward. Sorry for being so picky but I think you understand what I'm looking for (great read, yet worth something in the future)..I can tell from your response though there seems to be luck involved there as it's anyone's guess...

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I'm all over the place with what I like to read..I can read old school Superman, yet really enjoy Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Wake, etc..I'm essentially looking for a recent comic in the last 2 years or so that is a great read, yet also potentially a great investment in the future...I know the new Captain America is coming out soon, however I'm reluctant to get it considering it doesn't seem to hold much value going forward. Sorry for being so picky but I think you understand what I'm looking for (great read, yet worth something in the future)..I can tell from your response though there seems to be luck involved there as it's anyone's guess...
    Well, if you are looking for a comic that will be worth more than you pay for it (so $5-15) you're best guess will be comics from independent publishers written by up and coming writers or established writers that will run for a while, as long as it doesn't sell too much. Good example: Zero. Written by Ales Kot, a writer who is quite new in the field of comics and whose work is highly acclaimed and showing a lot of promise. Kot could be the next Morrison, who knows? Zero #1 didn't sell a lot. It is good though, and if Kot breaks through or if it gets adapted the demand will be high but the comic won't be easy to find. Other writers to look out for are guys like Kieron Gillen and Lemire for example. But it's all aguessing game. My advice is to find a couple of writers you like (wheter they be up and coming writers or guys who retired 20 years ago) and buy their work if you enjoy it. I feel like following creators gives me the most pleasure in reading and it may make me some bucks later on (for example, one of my favorite writer Brubaker wrote tons of series of which the #1 later became worth $10-15).

Oh and another tip, Marvel and Dc comics are almost guaranteed to lower in value. If you want to make a profit you have to be at indie publishers, preferably Image and Dark Horse.

All-New Member

Thank you! I'll look into Zero!

All-New Member

as a newbie..help me understand covers...A worth more than C? vice versa? For instance Zero has covers A & C..one worth more than the other? thanks!

as a newbie..help me understand covers...A worth more than C? vice versa? For instance Zero has covers A & C..one worth more than the other? thanks!
    There are 3 basic types of covers: first print (so the normal version of the cover you normally see in shops), second/third/fourth etc. print (when a certain comic sells all the copies of its print run but there's still demand for those issues on the direct market a publisher can choose to print the comics again, usually with a different cover. First prints are worth more than second or third etc. prints.) And variant covers (some come with more than cover. You have the normal cover and a variant cover. A retailer receives variant covers based on the ratio that variant cover has. For example, you have 1:10 variant covers which means that one out of 10 of those comics have that variant. A variant cover doesn't necessarily have to be worth more but they usually are (usually, the rarer the variant (the higher the ratio usually) the more it's worth. So a 1:250 variant cover is worth more than a 1:10 variant cover. ). The examples I gave earlier (Walking Dead and Ultimate Spider-Man) are good examples for tge wroth of the different covers. Walking Dead #1 is worth more than $100 if it's first print but only about $20 if it's second print. And the Ultimate Spider-Man #1 variant cover is one of the most valuable modern comics currently. Hope that helped

Btw, if you're looking at Zero #1 via Mycomicshop.com you'll notice that Zero has 3 regular covers instead of 1 regular cover and 1 or more, rarer, variant covers. This means that 1A, 1B and 1C are essentially worth the same amount. But do realize that that doesn't mean they'll be worth the same later on. If the market gets flooded by the 1B cover then that comic will plummet in value while 1A and 1C will keep their value or even rise in value.
    Last edited by victorxd1999; 11-03-2014 at 01:49 PM.

All-New Member

I believe I understand the 'variant' covers, however wasn't sure if cover A, B, C is just another definition of variant covers or if they mean something different altogether..for instance the link below...for Zero, there are 3 covers, A, B and C..and same on Ebay..does A B and C represent first/second/third printing?

http://www.atomicempire.com/issue.aspx?cover=73855&

I believe I understand the 'variant' covers, however wasn't sure if cover A, B, C is just another definition of variant covers or if they mean something different altogether..for instance the link below...for Zero, there are 3 covers, A, B and C..and same on Ebay..does A B and C represent first/second/third printing?

http://www.atomicempire.com/issue.aspx?cover=73855&
    I've edited my post above to tell you that Zero had 3 regular covers and no variant covers. 1D is most likely the second printing

All-New Member

thanks so much!

thanks so much!
    You're welcome!

Maybe you could start buying every first issue you see. Perhaps one of those could be the new Saga.