Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default CBR TV: Robinson On "Fantastic Four's" End, The Power of Positivity

James Robinson discusses his "All New Invaders" book, his love for the golden age, the end of "Fantastic Four," and a new perspective in sobriety

Full article here.

BANNED

Sounds like they're getting erased from history to me.

Fantastic Member

really? I didn't get that from Robinson's interview or anything else I've read

BANNED

I mean in general from all the rumours and the owners. Why else not draw them on stuff or merch or even show them in the teasers we have now. I'm just speculating though.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

They are not very prominently featured in the official logos for Marvel's 75th Anniversary. Neither is Namor for that matter and along with Captain America (who is on the logo) was one of Marvel's first heroes. I forgot which came first though.

Amazing Member

I'm not a huge FF fan, but I think Robinson's run has been rather entertaining. His run on Invaders has been strong, and promises a lot of interesting developments as he resolves some intriguing subplots.

I really want to see an Invaders movie. They should start during WW II with the first film, like Captain America, and bring the story into the present. I understand that Marvel should be getting the film rights to Namor back soon, so an Invaders film is doable.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

the Namor situation is pretty murky. Universal has the rights but have been doing nothing with it. When they drew up these agreements they really gave away too much leeway to the studios I think. Marvel needed the money at that time and that was that. But a company should not have been able to just sit on the rights this long. Kevin Feige didn't even know for sure about the status of Namor at some point. Don't know if they finally cleared it up.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-03-2014 at 02:48 PM.

BANNED

Namor came first, and yeah he isn't shown on their stuff either. I wonder what this means for him though? Short term death for him to await the rights thing to be fixed?

Mighty Member

I think Robinson is doing a great job with Fantastic Four. I never liked Johnny Storm. He was always my least favorite of the four, but Robinson's take appeals to me. I like him better here than in Hickman's run. I'm a fan of the Future Foundation, I'm a fan of the unique feeling you get from reading a Fantastic Four book because it is the only big mainstream family focused book (aside from maybe Batman Eternal), I love their rogue's gallery. I liked Hickman's run, it's a great run, and I skipped Matt Fraction's run because...eww, but it's during this run in particular that I'm beginning to realize that I am a fan of The Fantastic Four, and that feels weird because I certainly never expected myself to be. It feels like the time I came out and told my friends that I like Superman better than Batman. This realization never would have happened without James Robinson. I was a fan of his when he was at DC, and the only reason I gave this new Fantastic Four run a shot is because he was writing it, and he didn't disappoint. If the Fantastic Four comes back, and I haven't given up comic books for one reason or another, Marvel has James Robinson to thank for making me realize that these characters are well worth my money.

Also, as I said once before, love the Jim Hammond work. I've been interested in The Invaders since The Marvels Project, and was really disappointed when they brought Hammond back just to shelve him immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Also, as I said once before, love the Jim Hammond work. I've been interested in The Invaders since The Marvels Project, and was really disappointed when they brought Hammond back just to shelve him immediately.
    Couldn't agree more, Robinson is doing a great job with Jim Hammond.

Spectacular Member

Man, Robinson sounds really bitter about the reaction to his run on FF. Sorry Robinson, but I'm not interested in another "the FF breakup" story, and even if it doesn't end like that I don't want to read it for ten more issues. Maybe it's coming together now, or maybe it'll be good by the time it ends, but by issue 6 it was still boring and all around not very good, and I had no intentions to keep buying something that isn't worth my money, as much as I love the characters.

Yes, people are disappointed that the book is going away. But the book has been dreadful for the last two and a half years. Why would I continue to buy something that I don't like just to keep it around? Fraction's run sold so poorly, and was so awful, that I wasn't going to sit through that again. but I did. For six issues. I'm not a fair weather fan, Robinson, I'm a fan of quality writing. That's why we weren't buying the book: it hasn't been good in two and a half years.

/rantover

It's not my favorite run of FF, but i think it's still a nice one. It's extremely decompressed and that has kept me on the edge of dropping it, but there are enough interesting stuff happening and i'm intrigued to find out how it'll play out. And Leonard Kirk art doesn't hurt either.

I gave his FF a try. Just like I give every new writer a try. Found it... underwhelming.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    They are not very prominently featured in the official logos for Marvel's 75th Anniversary. Neither is Namor for that matter and along with Captain America (who is on the logo) was one of Marvel's first heroes. I forgot which came first though.
    Namor came first. Him and Jim Hammond share the title of being Marvels first heroes.

I've really been enjoying Robinson's books at Marvel. Fantastic Four is usually up at the top of my monthly pile for Marvel along with Black Widow and New Avengers. Invaders has been consistent and I hope that he can tell his whole story. I really want to see how Galactus and the Eternals works out.
    The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine Review - Vol 1 (Issues 1-50) and Vol 2 (Issues 51-102)