Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Chaykin Pulls No Punches When Discussing His Career, Comics & More

At his Vegas Valley Comic Book Festival spotlight, Howard Chaykin had strong opinions on everything from the state of comics to the greatness of "Guardians of the Galaxy."

Full article here.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Awesome. Nice to see some honesty.

haha, oh Howard.

I picture Bendis asking him that.

could some one explain this quote to me: "You can't do epic drama, melodrama, romance in a seven-panel page"

most comics use 4-5 panels, does he mean we need 9 or more panels? I don't get this.

I wish what someone would have asked him, what he thinks of comics where the only words on the page are dialogue?

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Ah, a Chaykin interview. I still get a giggle about the time he mentioned how badly it hurt him that Tim Vigil and Todd McFarlane think of him as a hero.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

"I loathe Marvel-style writing. I really hate it. It's such lazy, cheap shit," he said, discussing his approach to comics writing. "I believe in full script. When a writer asks me what I feel like drawing, my first answer is, 'Fuck you.'"
    Amazing. And 100% in agreement with Chaykin.

Writers skirt by on half-effort with the "Marvel style"

That was fine when you were Stan Lee and juggling 7 books on a tightly monthly schedule. No excuses nowadays.

I love Chaykin.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Chaykin interviews are the best. You never know what he's going to say, but you're guarantee to laugh until it hurts. He is one of comics greatest treasures, both for his work and his attitude.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

You're too busy reading 'Captain Marvel' or some bullshit?
    lolololol. omg.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

LOL This was an entertaining interview/panel thing. Wish more were like this to be honest

BANNED

"Chaykin didn't hold back in expressing his displeasure with the current comics industry's focus on the "superstar writer." "The alpha talent is the writer, which is absurd," he said. "The artists aren't the problem, the writers are the problem. They have a complete lack of understanding of the real estate of the page. You can't do epic drama, melodrama, romance in a seven-panel page... I'm waiting for someone to write a comic book that I give a shit about."

Last edited by Marvel_Is; 11-03-2014 at 03:58 PM.

All-New Member

Chaykin is awesome. Totally respect this guy, and damn, Satellite Sam is one of the best comics out there right now.

HAHAHA!! I've never read any interviews from him, this is great. I love it.

Spectacular Member

I met him once at Emerald City Comic-Con about 11 years ago. He was fantastic to talk to.

Invincible Member

I was under the impression that the "Marvel Style" really wasn't used that often these days? I kinda thought most of their writers were using full scripts except on specific occasions. I know Matt Fraction has used it in recent years but as an exception.

BANNED

If nothing else he speaks his mind. That is refreshing. However he's such a curmudgeon he doesn't do himself any favours. I always thought his art-work on Star Wars was sloppy sh*t too so it's nice to have him confirm that we share the same opinion on that matter.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I was under the impression that the "Marvel Style" really wasn't used that often these days? I kinda thought most of their writers were using full scripts except on specific occasions. I know Matt Fraction has used it in recent years but as an exception.
    Some people still use it. Matt Wagner, for example, still likes to use it because he finds new directions to take the story when he sees the art, although he said he's been working more full script recently. Walt Simonson also likes to use it, and Chaykin agreed to work that way on Hawkgirl because he's good friends with Walt, although he prefers full script as the interview clearly shows.