Page 162 of 175 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 2616
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Things like Gotham Academy and Super Sons might be the way to attract younger readers.
    Really young readers yes, teens are important IMO because they have more money than very young kids. Although teens are probably the most nitpicky about things like art quality so it's a bit more of a risk I guess. Elementary schoolers will eat up any crap you give them

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Really young readers yes, teens are important IMO because they have more money than very young kids. Although teens are probably the most nitpicky about things like art quality so it's a bit more of a risk I guess. Elementary schoolers will eat up any crap you give them
    Well you got to start them off somewhere. If DC (or Marvel for that matter) can attract the younger kids through selling trades at Scholastic book fairs those kids might continue with comics into their teen years and beyond. New blood needs to come from somewhere. The comic fanbase isn't getting any younger these days. I also think that digital services like Marvel Unlimited and Hoopla might be another way to attract readers. Hoopla in particular might offer teens a platform where they can read comics in trade without spending a dime.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 02-16-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And some books sell much better digitally than most titles that outsell them in print, as the digital audience is slightly skewed to different tastes.
    It may not be enough to make much difference when added all up, but if you took that 10% and looked at it separately you'd have a slightly different view of the market.
    True.

Marvel's Top Selling in comiXology:
    1. Unworthy Thor #4
    2. IvX #4
    3. Ms. Marvel #15
    4. Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #4
    5. Jessica Jones #5
    6. All-New Wolverine #17
    7. Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #4
    8. Black Widow #11
    9. Guardians of the Galaxy #17
    10. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #17
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    True.

Marvel's Top Selling in comiXology:
    1. Unworthy Thor #4
    2. IvX #4
    3. Ms. Marvel #15
    4. Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #4
    5. Jessica Jones #5
    6. All-New Wolverine #17
    7. Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #4
    8. Black Widow #11
    9. Guardians of the Galaxy #17
    10. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #17
    The only problem with Comixology's charts is that it's dynamic, which means you can only compare books that are released in the same week.
    But if you watch the chart for a whole month or two (and remove sale items such as back issues) you can see certain patterns which show the differences between the digital and print audiences.

And even on a week-by-week basis, you can still see where a book in digital is outselling a book that sells better than it in print.
    For instance, Titans is outselling All-Star Batman, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, Flash, Suicide Squad... basically everything that came out on its week except for JLA and Detective Comics.
    But if you look at the last print chart, from December, the only one of those titles it sold better than was Action Comics. All the rest are outselling it in print.
    And it's not only the #3 title for DC in digital for the week... but also the #3 title overall in digital for the week, outselling everything by Marvel, even.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The only problem with Comixology's charts is that it's dynamic, which means you can only compare books that are released in the same week.

And even on a week-by-week basis, you can still see where a book in digital is outselling a book that sells better than it in print.
    For instance, Titans is outselling All-Star Batman, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, Flash, Suicide Squad... basically everything that came out on its week except for JLA and Detective Comics.
    I don't know about being limited by release week. The 25-cent Walking Dead #163 released February 1 and Love Is Love anthology released December 28 still placed in the charts. I think the Best Seller List only showing that week's releases probably has more to do with tapering sales of the previous week's releases coupled with stronger sales of new releases.

Would be interesting if they published different charts showing best sellers by Year/Month/Week.

Alas, they're keeping those very close to the chest as proprietary data.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Post Diamond's Top 10 books released - Marvel's overship gives them #1 spot again

Marvel's 10% free overship of books (not requested by retailers) allowed them to take #1 again in market share...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02...e-whole-story/

Here are the Top 10 books...
    Diamond Top 10 Comics.jpg

Lots of Batman and Justice League does give DC 6 of the Top Ten books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    Marvel's 10% free overship of books (not requested by retailers) allowed them to take #1 again in market share...

I would have assumed it was the 50+ variant covers that did the job for U.S.Avengers, not the overship.

You know, if they're gonna do free overships for books anyway (particularly large overships for issues #1-3), why not just offer a low tester price $1.99-2.99? Might even help with sell through.

Waiting for Comichron monthly sales charts which shows dollar rankings to estimate how much actual overships are.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 02-17-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    Currently Following:

BANNED

You know, if they're gonna do free overships for books anyway (particularly large overships for issues #1-3), why not just offer a low tester price $1.99-2.99? Might even help with sell through.
    Well, FWIW, that would require them to print the different versions with the different pricing, which is more expensive to do.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Yeah, Marvel overshipping books may make their sales look good on paper but it is harmful to the industry in the long run and does nothing but give more books to dollar bins & use as lining for bird cages.

Glad to see A decent amount of DC books still going strong though.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Gotham Academy & Super Sons are both great books for readers young & old alike. Neither are "crap"!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Gotham Academy & Super Sons are both great books for readers young & old alike. Neither are "crap"!
    I never said they were.

BANNED

USAvengers is one of the funniest things Marvel has ever done. An ongoing series who's primary purpose is to sell variant covers. I remember walking into my store one week and half the shelf was taken up by those variants, it's a new low for cover gimmicks. Even worse than X-Men #1 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Well, FWIW, that would require them to print the different versions with the different pricing, which is more expensive to do.
    Huh, why would they? I meant across the board pricing for issues #1-3 so all the covers including variants would have the same price.

change from:
    Hawkeye #1 $3.99, est. overship 100%

to:
    Hawkeye #1 $1.99, no overship

Or just offer returnability same as DC. That way, Marvel's shouldering some of the risk if titles don't sell and not retailers.
    Currently Following:

I don't know about being limited by release week. The 25-cent Walking Dead #163 released February 1 and Love Is Love anthology released December 28 still placed in the charts. I think the Best Seller List only showing that week's releases probably has more to do with tapering sales of the previous week's releases coupled with stronger sales of new releases.

Would be interesting if they published different charts showing best sellers by Year/Month/Week.

Alas, they're keeping those very close to the chest as proprietary data.
    What I mean by dynamic is that it's updated on a daily basis, and most sales of new comics peak by the weekend after they come out.
    And unlike music, comic sales drop sharply the week after they're released, and even more the next week.
    So you would need to take a 'snapshot' of the two peaking days (Sunday and Monday, which reflect Saturday and Sunday) each week and compare side-by-side with each other for the month.

And keep in mind their charts also only show relative sales, meaning in relation to each other in the same chart.
    How I compensate for this is I look at the number of reviews the book has had (at the time of the snapshot) to give an idea of where each book of one week relates to each book of any other given week. While not everyone reviews a comic, every review is still a purchase (and the most concrete number we can get from Comixology).
    But it's important to compare number of reviews and chart rankings for each comic at the same point in their 'lifespan'.
    Meaning, if you're going to compare chart ranking and number of reviews after five days with one comic , you need to stay consistently at five days for every comic.

Doing this, it is possible to make a 'sales chart' that, while not completely accurate, would be the closest we could come to seeing monthly digital sales.

I hope this wasn't too confusing.
    I've been suffering an eye allergy.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-17-2017 at 02:01 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.