Page 83 of 175 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2616
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tula's boyfriend View Post
    I was a DC head most of my comic reading life (long eneegh) and with the promise of a more dynamic universe, characters, a restart, now I will be reading about 25 Marvel books, while my DC list shrinks, and shrinks....never thought the day of this, but for a mostly new reader, Marvel is exciting and DC is just not doing it for me anymore...anyone else feeling like this
    Marvel felt like an old fuddy duddy when the New 52 was coming out. This transitory momentum loss that DC has been afflicted with will pass as they rejigger their line up of books and the newness of Marvel's relaunch fades.

Quote Originally Posted by clar-el View Post
    Wow I honestly had no idea a #1 could bloat sales that much. So there must be some people out there whose collections are like 90% made up of #1s lol.

#1 issues really aren't anything special anymore, at least not for the big two, especially if you are a speculator. I mean owning Star Wars #1 is nice but since there are a million copies out there (plus reprints), the issue will never have value by itself. Even if 90% of all units were eventually lost or destroyed, there would still be a hundred thousand copies lying around. Completely valueless. That's why speculators traffic in rare variants now - because the rare variants posses the necessary scarcity to be valuable.

The problem with rare variants is that they are only valuable because we say they are. If the market falls out, like it did in the 90's, then the value of those variants would disappear overnight.

If you truly want a safe bet, it is better to buy indy publisher's #1 issues. You never know when one series will become popular (like, say, the Walking Dead, Saga or TMNT).
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 12-06-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Long Live the Legion! Paul Newell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFalcon182 View Post
    My point being with every new #1s, they're attracting new readers. Their marketing is super effective. Amateur reader sees a #1 and they think it's a perfect jumping on point. If they like it enough, they keep reading it.
    Except you have no proof that is what's happening...It's likely they are for the Star Wars books, but it doesn't appear to be translating into sales for Marvel universe....Especially as the drop-offs are as steep as they usually are for Marvel's #1 issues.

If that's the case, it's not effective marketing, it's providing a particular product, riding off the highly anticipated new movie of a major franchise.
    DRINK!

Quote Originally Posted by Tula's boyfriend View Post
    I was a DC head most of my comic reading life (long eneegh) and with the promise of a more dynamic universe, characters, a restart, now I will be reading about 25 Marvel books, while my DC list shrinks, and shrinks....never thought the day of this, but for a mostly new reader, Marvel is exciting and DC is just not doing it for me anymore...anyone else feeling like this
    I've had the exact opposite experience. I started reading right before convergence and secret war. Secret war was great, I was following multiple comics and having a blast, then they started releasing their new number ones, and I realized all the stories and characters I'd been following were done and gone. Even deadpool had a real poor showing for the first issue. It was a huge let down.

DC and some indies are basically all I buy now.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    I've had the exact opposite experience. I started reading right before convergence and secret war. Secret war was great, I was following multiple comics and having a blast, then they started releasing their new number ones, and I realized all the stories and characters I'd been following were done and gone. Even deadpool had a real poor showing for the first issue. It was a huge let down.

DC and some indies are basically all I buy now.
    That's a pretty similar experience of pre-New52 readers.
    New readers were fine with it, and there were a lot of them.

DC learned, though, that while the loss of readers was great, the influx of new readers was greater.
    The sacrifice was deemed worth it.

Marvel's loss probably won't be as great as DC's was, simply because they're not erasing everything like DC did.
    But their new reader increase may still match DC's because of the marketing, retailer support and spread out relaunches.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

DC learned, though, that while the loss of readers was great, the influx of new readers was greater.

Marvel's loss probably won't be as great as DC's was, simply because they're not erasing everything like DC did.
    But their new reader increase may still match DC's because of the marketing, retailer support and spread out relaunches.
    Worth noting that "Spidey", which tells high school adventures of Spider-Man, has Gwen Stacy attending Peter's high school

"erasing everything" - no. "potentially making retroactive changes" - yes.

Marvel never allowed continuity to get in the way of the stories they want to tell. Looking at sales it seams that majority of fans don't care that much about continuity in the first place unless you start saying words like reboot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

doesn't look like DC reality

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Marvel never allowed continuity to get in the way of the stories they want to tell. Looking at sales it seams that majority of fans don't care that much about continuity in the first place unless you start saying words like reboot.
    It depends. Geoff Johns can retcon a couple of things in every issue he writes, and people will cheer him on. But say the word "reboot" and those same people will throw a fit. They're OK with it being done in slow motion. They just don't want it done all at once.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    doesn't look like DC reality
    It is reality, regardless, just like it was 30 years ago.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    Marvel relaunches the titles everytime: Guess what? It works in the current marketplace

Yes, it works, stupid numbering like Wolverine 1000 and Whatever 900 and restarting a series with a number 1 every year in fact works. Sure it works, it has given a lot of money to companies and add to this 50+ variant covers and the earns multiply. But do this people give a bean for the heartbroken fans that see how greedy editors destroy their beloved comic universes to save their seats on the board? We cannot blame them, they produce comics to earn money, so who cares for the fans when sales are high? Arrogant people like D** D**** think they know what the fan needs but they will never notice what the fans ask. Only money cares not what you or I want.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    DC cares way too much about continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It depends. Geoff Johns can retcon a couple of things in every issue he writes, and people will cheer him on. But say the word "reboot" and those same people will throw a fit. They're OK with it being done in slow motion. They just don't want it done all at once.
    This is actually really accurate, and is the major difference between Marvel and DC, both do the same thing with their universes (if you think otherwise you're naive) but DC tends to be loud about changes while Marvel changes things so quietly you dont even notice.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    This is actually really accurate, and is the major difference between Marvel and DC, both do the same thing with their universes (if you think otherwise you're naive) but DC tends to be loud about changes while Marvel changes things so quietly you dont even notice.
    When Marvel is loud about it, people freak out and hold grudges (reference: One More Day).

BANNED

I think the reason DC is louder about it is because they need the readers worse so they want to make a bigger deal about the potential for a jumping-on point.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I think the reason DC is louder about it is because they need the readers worse so they want to make a bigger deal about the potential for a jumping-on point.
    I agree, Glenn. If their sales positions had been reversed all of these decades, Marvel would have been the one doing the reboots, not DC.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?