Page 20 of 175 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think the reason DC's gotten that reputation while Marvel hasn't is because DC's main franchises are solo characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc, while Marvel's franchises are more team-oriented.
    Marvel still has their Spider-Man and Wolverine but most of their franchises revolve around the X-Men or Avengers. This gives the illusion that they have more variety, although every comic could still fit in one of two or three camps over there, too.

DC's main reason for this image is, of course, all the Batman and Superman movies that they constantly relaunch instead of bringing something new to the table. Hopefully, the Justice League film will help expand the public awareness of other characters and help DC sell more non-Batman/non-Superman titles.
    Green Lantern was a good effort, but it did about as good as the Daredevil film.
    I have to agree. DC is all about BATMAN and SUPERMAN, along with other heroes and a team. Its kind of like Marvel back in the 80's and 90's - their hottest property were the X-Men and Spider-Man. The Avengers and the Fantastic Four were so unprofitable, the franchises were farmed off on Image. Marvel has really rehabilitated their Avengers family, to the point where they are fast becoming the second largest pole in the tent (after Spidey). It is obvious that the emphasis on the Movies (who had to be about the Avengers, since Marvel did not have the rights to their other "hot" properties) was the guiding hand behind the Avengers' rise to prominence. I think, in the same way, DC's TV shows and Movies will give them the springboard and cultural awareness they need to rehabilitate their secondary cast of characters and turn them into true tent poles.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I have to agree. DC is all about BATMAN and SUPERMAN, along with other heroes and a team. Its kind of like Marvel back in the 80's and 90's - their hottest property were the X-Men and Spider-Man. The Avengers and the Fantastic Four were so unprofitable, the franchises were farmed off on Image. Marvel has really rehabilitated their Avengers family, to the point where they are fast becoming the second largest pole in the tent (after Spidey). It is obvious that the emphasis on the Movies (who had to be about the Avengers, since Marvel did not have the rights to their other "hot" properties) was the guiding hand behind the Avengers' rise to prominence. I think, in the same way, DC's TV shows and Movies will give them the springboard and cultural awareness they need to rehabilitate their secondary cast of characters and turn them into true tent poles.
    It's actually ironic that Spider-Man and X-Men (Marvel's Batman and Superman previously) were gimped by the turn of events that restricted their use. So Marvel had to make lemonade out of lemons and turned the spotlight onto the Avengers (and, in turn, the Guardians). It's amazing what can happen with a bit of determination.

How can DC do the same, but without losing the full use of Batman and Superman to spur it?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

It's a good thing DC's branching out more in TV. Maybe someone other than Batman or Superman (like say Flash or Green Arrow) will make the cut one day.
    Yeah, I kinda hoped for Flash to get into it but on the other hand I don't feel like current Flash run is "goog enough".

Plus, it's also good to know that Rocket Raccoon and Star Wars were chosen by Loot Crate, and not suggested by Marvel.
    If I'm not mistaken they got huge discounts for their orders (which makes sense when your orders are so big) so its likely that they communicate over these things to an extent.

Extraordinary Member

How can DC do the same, but without losing the full use of Batman and Superman to spur it?
    You want DC to crap on Superman and Batman the same way Marvel crapped on the X-Men? As an X-Men reader who jumped shipped and now enjoys reading Batman and Superman, as well as many other DC titles, I would not wish that on any franchise.

What gets left out of any discussion about sales is that when a title or franchise become big sellers, those sales did not come from nowhere. They came from some other title or franchise. So until DC or Marvel find a way to pretty much double the sales of superhero comics, there will be a handful of top sellers and everyone else fighting over scraps until they are canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I know in 2012 digital comics accounted for $70 million in sales overall, and in 2013 they accounted for $90 million. That's never been broken down to anything more specific, but Comixology does list their best-selling comics in order every week, but not with any actual figures attached.

I'm completely digital-converted for monthlies, so it doesn't matter to me how they premiere.
    While those look like decent numbers, digital is not as profitable as many people assume. Comixology takes about a third of each sale and Apple/Google takes another third off the top. Digital is surely the future of the industry, but much work remains to be done.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."-
    Benjamin Franklin

Very cool info to see, It seems to me that the comics sales have been going up, but I guess that just isn't the case. I would have to assume that Images sales have gone way up compared to what they used to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    You want DC to crap on Superman and Batman the same way Marvel crapped on the X-Men? As an X-Men reader who jumped shipped and now enjoys reading Batman and Superman, as well as many other DC titles, I would not wish that on any franchise.

What gets left out of any discussion about sales is that when a title or franchise become big sellers, those sales did not come from nowhere. They came from some other title or franchise. So until DC or Marvel find a way to pretty much double the sales of superhero comics, there will be a handful of top sellers and everyone else fighting over scraps until they are canceled.
    I don't want them to.

I was just speculating on- is that what it would take?

I think DC will never expand on their universe and build other franchises up as long as they put every good effort into Batman and Superman.
    Just like when Marvel focused on Spider-Man and X-Men, to the dismay of all their other books.

I think Marvel shifting their focus from Spider-Man and X-Men to Avengers and Guardians has pretty much showed us that the two companies really only have enough vision and drive to maintain two franchises at a time. While everything else is just so much pretty pictures.
    It doesn't matter if they could have a new hit because they already have committed themselves to their two money-makers. And who can really blame them?

However, I think there's (logically) only so many titles a solo character can be in per month.
    What DC needs is a team franchise as one of their two.

I think What will help DC is Justice League. But they're going to have to either expand to three main franchises or move Superman's focus into Justice League, like Marvel did with Wolverine and X-Men.
    Then, they will need to expand the core team in the comics so they'll have more characters to work with.

It would be nice to see some real attention given to the more mystical charecters. Love Batman, he will always be my favorite, but i dont need this many titles. I'm only picking up one, and that is Detective. I also pick up RedHood, wich has been pretty removed from the Batverse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post

That's a valid point. I think it's fair to say that having movies out and cartoons and TV shows does raise the profile of the characters, so that when people DO stumble across the comics, they are more inclined to give it a try. I am constantly seeing people who like X-Men reference the 90's cartoon as what got them interested. I don't think it happens all at once, which is why we don't see a big push the week the movie first comes out. But over time, I think these things DO help bring in more readers, it's just a gradual process.

Never hurts for current comics fans to put a few images on their Facebook page to encourage others to give the comics a try. Repost "Free Comic Day" videos, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hammergiant View Post
    While those look like decent numbers, digital is not as profitable as many people assume. Comixology takes about a third of each sale and Apple/Google takes another third off the top. Digital is surely the future of the industry, but much work remains to be done.
    Well Diamond and retailers also take a cut from physical sales so its not as loopsided as it might look. Thou they probably take less than comixology/apple/google.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Well Diamond and retailers also take a cut from physical sales so its not as loopsided as it might look. Thou they probably take less than comixology/apple/google.
    I believe when all is said and done, DC comes out a little more ahead on digital than print, but not much. Like 10-cents per issue, in that range.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    That's a valid point. I think it's fair to say that having movies out and cartoons and TV shows does raise the profile of the characters, so that when people DO stumble across the comics, they are more inclined to give it a try. I am constantly seeing people who like X-Men reference the 90's cartoon as what got them interested. I don't think it happens all at once, which is why we don't see a big push the week the movie first comes out. But over time, I think these things DO help bring in more readers, it's just a gradual process.
    I also know a lot of people who got into Dc because of the cartoons, specially Batman and JL/JLU (Can't say why Superman is so overlooked, that cartoon was great).

Curiously, though, most of the people I had contact with this profile got into DC, but not into the "Justice League" brand.

I believe when all is said and done, DC comes out a little more ahead on digital than print, but not much. Like 10-cents per issue, in that range.
    Maybe back issues factor in the way DC sees profitability. People are beginning to binge-watch/binge-read stuff more every time, and the digital back issues really do cut a lot of the costs. Every time they have to have reprint a trade, they have printing and distributions costs, not to mention that unknown number of lost sales for people who can't find a particular trade. With digital, once it's there, that's it. Every single time someone looks for, say, Batman #254, they'll find it.

Those numberes may not be expressive in one particular series, but the total amount might be satisfactory (or more)

Something to look at...

This week's top sellers-

In print.
    From BleedingCool's comic shop retailer list, which uses reports from seven comic shops:

1. Batman #37
    2. Axis #8
    3. Justice League #37
    4. Batman And Robin #37
    5. Guardians Of The Galaxy #22
    6. Batman Eternal #37
    7. All-New X-Men #34
    8. Multiversity Thunderworld #1
    9. Sandman Overture #4
    10. Rumble #1

In digital.
    From Comixology:

1. Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Three #12
    2. Batman #37
    3. Axis #8
    4. Batman And Robin #37
    5. Justice League #37
    6. Multiversity Thunderworld #1
    7. All-New X-Men #34
    8. Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Three #1
    9. Ms. Marvel #10
    10. The Mice Templar #0

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Never hurts for current comics fans to put a few images on their Facebook page to encourage others to give the comics a try. Repost "Free Comic Day" videos, stuff like that.
    When I was a kid, I *loved* the Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons (especially X-Men). They really forged that initial interest I have in superheroes. Batman Beyond continued it, Justice League/Unlimited and Teen Titans cemented it. Even then, it took nearly 20 years to turn me from a lover of the TV shows back in the 90's into a devoted buyer of floppy comics (less for an intermittent buyer of trades). I imagine kids growing up today will have a similar journey as I had (I know many of my IRL friends were in a similar boat).

Something to look at...

This week's top sellers-

In print.
    From BleedingCool's comic shop retailer list, which uses reports from seven comic shops:

1. Batman #37
    2. Axis #8
    3. Justice League #37
    4. Batman And Robin #37
    5. Guardians Of The Galaxy #22
    6. Batman Eternal #37
    7. All-New X-Men #34
    8. Multiversity Thunderworld #1
    9. Sandman Overture #4
    10. Rumble #1

In digital.
    From Comixology:

1. Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Three #12
    2. Batman #37
    3. Axis #8
    4. Batman And Robin #37
    5. Justice League #37
    6. Multiversity Thunderworld #1
    7. All-New X-Men #34
    8. Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Three #1
    9. Ms. Marvel #10
    10. The Mice Templar #0
    Speaks volumes about how popular Ms. Marvel and Injustice are. Makes me wonder why DC is ending Injustice (seeing as it is so popular).
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 12-21-2014 at 07:47 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Makes me wonder why DC is ending Injustice (seeing as it is so popular).
    Maybe they feel there's not much left to milk from Injustice; I don't know if they have any information about how much of the comics buyers are gamers, but Injustice just entered playstation Plus list of free games this month; this might be a sign that the game stopped being profitable on his own.

2015 will have Arkham Knight which will be huge - probably the most successful in the Arkham series - and they might be moving resources for something tied to that in hopes of catching the same public. Or maybe, and this is something I suspect, the digital line will be re-worked as whole after the move, since they now have a trustworthy body info in what better works on this model.