Page 51 of 175 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I guess the main point of my post is that DC needs to build an image (no pun intended) of being THE place that creators want to go to. They should be a crowning achievement. Not a stepping stone.

Until they figure out how to wrestle that from Image, Image will only continue to grow.
    But Marvel and DC are just stepping stones now. The real money, for creators, is in independently created books.

Top 100 is out, and it doesn't look good.

I just hope it doesn't cause DC to stop doing what they're doing, because I'm really liking DCYou so far. Unfortunately, some of the best books are doing the worst.

5. Batman #42
    11. Justice League #42
    16. Justice League of America #2
    25. Harley Quinn #18
    31. Detective Comics #42
    36. Superman #42
    37. Cyborg #1
    38. Harley Quinn & Power Girl #2
    41. Robin: Son of Batman #2
    47. Batman / Superman #22
    51. Green Lantern #42
    55. Action Comics #42
    56. Wonder Woman #42
    57. Superman / Wonder Woman #19
    59. Flash #42
    62. New Suicide Squad #10
    65. Batman Beyond #2
    67. Grayson #2
    68. Starfire #2
    69. Deathstroke #8
    71. Batgirl #42
    74. Earth 2: Society #2
    76. We Are Robin #2
    77. Green Lantern: The Lost Army #2
    82. Flash Annual #4
    84. Batgirl Annual #3
    86. Teen Titans #10
    87. Aquaman #42
    90. Black Canary #2
    91. Constantine: The Hellblazer #2
    92. Red Hood / Arsenal #2

All other DCYou books fall outside of the top 100 (that portion of the sales for July hasn't been released yet, or at least I couldn't find it).

Gotham Academy
    Prez
    Martian Manhunter
    Midnighter
    The Omega Men
    Catwoman
    Justice League United
    Gotham By Midnight
    Green Arrow
    Dr. Fate
    Bizarro

^those are some of the BEST books out right now, and they're not even in the top 100! And they *should* be, because we're only getting into the second issue in most of them.
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 08-10-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I figured this thread would be doom and gloom today. The market share is pretty easy to sum up: Star Wars. When you add 4-5 books that all sell close to Batman levels your market share is going to increase. I don't see that going away anytime soon because those movies are going to be HUGE. Hell, at the MI:5 movie the whole theatre stopped to watch what is a fairly bare bones preview for SW and then clapped afterwards. But you know what - that's good for comics overall

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I figured this thread would be doom and gloom today. The market share is pretty easy to sum up: Star Wars. When you add 4-5 books that all sell close to Batman levels your market share is going to increase. I don't see that going away anytime soon because those movies are going to be HUGE. Hell, at the MI:5 movie the whole theatre stopped to watch what is a fairly bare bones preview for SW and then clapped afterwards. But you know what - that's good for comics overall
    Not to mention, the Star Wars books are $3.99-$4.99 per issue. That's crazzzzy, but it also boosts Marvel sales by far.

And it may be better for comics overall, but I hope it doesn't cause DC to do something stupid, like canceling a bunch of their best books (see my above list).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Not to mention, the Star Wars books are $3.99-$4.99 per issue. That's crazzzzy, but it also boosts Marvel sales by far.

And it may be better for comics overall, but I hope it doesn't cause DC to do something stupid, like canceling a bunch of their best books (see my above list).
    Lobo is on 12th issue, so I think Dc will commit to 12 issues at least to the new series

Top 100 is out, and it doesn't look good.

I just hope it doesn't cause DC to stop doing what they're doing, because I'm really liking DCYou so far. Unfortunately, some of the best books are doing the worst.

5. Batman #42
    11. Justice League #42
    16. Justice League of America #2
    25. Harley Quinn #18
    31. Detective Comics #42
    36. Superman #42
    37. Cyborg #1
    38. Harley Quinn & Power Girl #2
    41. Robin: Son of Batman #2
    47. Batman / Superman #22
    51. Green Lantern #42
    55. Action Comics #42
    56. Wonder Woman #42
    57. Superman / Wonder Woman #19
    59. Flash #42
    62. New Suicide Squad #10
    65. Batman Beyond #2
    67. Grayson #2
    68. Starfire #2
    69. Deathstroke #8
    71. Batgirl #42
    74. Earth 2: Society #2
    76. We Are Robin #2
    77. Green Lantern: The Lost Army #2
    82. Flash Annual #4
    84. Batgirl Annual #3
    86. Teen Titans #10
    87. Aquaman #42
    90. Black Canary #2
    91. Constantine: The Hellblazer #2
    92. Red Hood / Arsenal #2

All other DCYou books fall outside of the top 100 (that portion of the sales for July hasn't been released yet, or at least I couldn't find it).

Gotham Academy
    Prez
    Martian Manhunter
    Midnighter
    The Omega Men
    Catwoman
    Justice League United
    Gotham By Midnight
    Green Arrow
    Dr. Fate
    Bizarro

^those are some of the BEST books out right now, and they're not even in the top 100! And they *should* be, because we're only getting into the second issue in most of them.
    I think when it comes to retail, the brand names are going to sell, and the others will fluctuate. There's a lot of "Batman", "Justice League", "Superman", and "Harley Quinn" in the top selling titles. Perhaps they should rename some of these titles to "Grayson: Protege of Batman", "Batgirl: Sidekick of Batman", "Catwoman: Lover of Batman", "Omega Men: Ft. One-time JUSTICE LEAGUE member Kyle Rayner", "Black Canary: Best Friend of Batgirl (Sidekick of Batman)".

BANNED

Some of these books rank highly when it comes to digital sales, such as with both Batgirl books making the top six of Comixology's best sellers list for the week. Depending on just how many copies were sold digitally, some of these books might still be able to stave off cancellation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    I think when it comes to retail, the brand names are going to sell, and the others will fluctuate. There's a lot of "Batman", "Justice League", "Superman", and "Harley Quinn" in the top selling titles. Perhaps they should rename some of these titles to "Grayson: Protege of Batman", "Batgirl: Sidekick of Batman", "Catwoman: Lover of Batman", "Omega Men: Ft. One-time JUSTICE LEAGUE member Kyle Rayner", "Black Canary: Best Friend of Batgirl (Sidekick of Batman)".
    midnighter: Gay Batman

I hope it doesn't cause DC to do something stupid, like canceling a bunch of their best books (see my above list).
    That's my biggest fear. Like i said before, it's okay to be number two, as long you keep on publishing great books. Even taking digital into account, it's essential that the individual numbers for these books are above the cancellation mark. And there goes the old adage: if you want "diversity" on comics market, put your wallet where your mouth is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Some of these books rank highly when it comes to digital sales, such as with both Batgirl books making the top six of Comixology's best sellers list for the week. Depending on just how many copies were sold digitally, some of these books might still be able to stave off cancellation.
    True.
    A lot of the titles that retailers are passing over, readers are getting digitally instead.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Btw... here's the rest of the chart.
    It's not as dire as it looks.
    Most retailers just halved their orders on the second issues.
    Remember, this is a chart showing retailer interest, not as much reader interest, which also takes into consideration collectability and future customer interest (back issues of Batman are more valuable to a shop than back issues of most everything else, for instance).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...15-sales-chart

And if you want an idea of what people are really reading, bookmark this link and check it each week: https://www.comixology.com/comics-best-sellers
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-10-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

DC has already stated they will give all the DCYOU issues 12 issues so I think I can feel safe that Omega Men would at the very least get to complete the wonderful story that they are building. To me the book that is in the most trouble is Red Hood/Arsenal since all they really did was take away Starfire but their sales dropped from 41k to 26k.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Btw... here's the rest of the chart.
    It's not as dire as it looks.
    Most retailers just halved their orders on the second issues.
    Remember, this is a chart showing retailer interest, not as much reader interest, which also takes into consideration collectability and future customer interest (back issues of Batman are more valuable to a shop than back issues of most everything else, for instance).

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...15-sales-chart

And if you want an idea of what people are really reading, bookmark this link and check it each week: https://www.comixology.com/comics-best-sellers
    Oh wow, nearly every continuing title got a 15% drop. The new titles dropped 20-35%, which is somewhat expected.

Just reading the chart and not having actually read either title, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Gotham By Midnight and Lobo will be on their way out by the end of the year. Both under 15k, and neither have the advantage of being a DCYOU title.

It's a shame to see Catwoman take such a noticeable loss, it's the lowest selling 2011 book atm. I've said it before, but I really think the book should have been canned and completely relaunched under Valentine. Sales have improved, but it's not been day and night.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    DC has already stated they will give all the DCYOU issues 12 issues so I think I can feel safe that Omega Men would at the very least get to complete the wonderful story that they are building. To me the book that is in the most trouble is Red Hood/Arsenal since all they really did was take away Starfire but their sales dropped from 41k to 26k.
    Yeah, DC has promised that all of the new books will get 12 issues so I'm not to worried about the low sellers at this point in time. As for Red Hood/Arsenal it does do pretty well digitally so it's overall numbers may look far better there then they do according to Diamond. That may also be true of a lot if the lower sellers on this list.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG