Page 6 of 175 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I think the idea is that rather than Superman, Action, Superman Unchained, and Superman/WW coming out monthly, you just do a weekly Superman book.
    The amount of effort for a weekly is just too much. Look at 52. The model that should aspire to be would be something like Eternal or BND where a editor or writer takes the majority of the workload and planning and doles out the assignments and its parameters to the writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The amount of effort for a weekly is just too much. Look at 52. The model that should aspire to be would be something like Eternal or BND where a editor or writer takes the majority of the workload and planning and doles out the assignments and its parameters to the writers.
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you just said that a weekly is too much work to do, and then pointed out examples of where they did it and it worked?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    We still have a ways to go, but it seems that Eternal and what we've seen of Future's End have dealt with some of the problems they had with weeklies in the past - namely those books often felt like 4 or more stories being told that just happened to be in the same book. Now they are modeling them more after TV show writing where there is a "show runner" that guides the process, the whole plot has been decided on, and the original writing credits after the initial plot idea really are just the scripting functions. By having consistent writers writing certain characters you have consistency of character and by having the show runner you have consistency of story. Again, there is a long way to go, but these books seem much higher in quality
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-13-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    We still have a ways to go, but it seems that Eternal and what we've seen of Future's End have dealt with some of the problems they had with weeklies in the past - namely those books often felt like 4 or more stories being told that just happened to be in the same book. Now they are modeling them more after TV show writing where there is a "show runner" that guides the process, the whole plot has been decided on, and the original writing credits after the initial plot idea really are just the scripting functions. By having consistent writers writing certain characters you have consistency of character and by having the show runner you have consistency of story. Again, there is a long way to go, but these books seem much higher in quality
    Eternal I think uses the showrunner paradigm with Snyder and maybe Tynion as showrunner/head writer. I don't think F'E has escaped the problem. I don't think it uses a main writer. It still feels like 4 people writing one book. I don't think the problem can be or should be avoided in such instances. The main problem is editorial mandates and their dictates unduly shaping the story like it was in Countdown. Time has yet to determine if they can escape that problem. I know Earth's End probably won't escape it.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-13-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like you just said that a weekly is too much work to do, and then pointed out examples of where they did it and it worked?
    Eternal seems at least to me to be more Snyder/Tynion overseeing the story and getting these other writers to write these individual issues and characters while the main story is in the hands of Snyder/Tynion. 52 from what I recall was very collaborative and required all the writers breaking down and contributing to each issue and thus more work intensive.

BANNED

This. Over time, they are figuring out how to make it work, which definitely suggests that its possible they could do more of them. And obviously, to get the maximum benefit they would have to cancel other books to redirect that manpower and resources to the weeklies, so you'd see more weeklies and fewer monthlies.

I see comics moving in this direction. Virtually becoming a weekly instead of monthly medium, with the occasional monthly series by select creators. The weeklies would help push comics away from the "rock n' roll creator" where the writers and artists would melt together to where no one could get a "big name". Thus, returning the limelight to the company and its characters.

One day, the average reader won't know the names of the various writers or artists. Just the "important" people: the company publishers and ceo's.

However, we could see "studios" gain prominence. Much like a band of writers and/or artists that are hired as a group for projects/series. Like mini-companies within the Big2.

Long Live the Legion! Paul Newell's Avatar

April update:

DC Sales - Top 300 (Jan-Apr) 2014 - 7,447,209 estimated units.
    DC Sales - Top 300 (Jan- Apr) 2013 - 8,624,812 estimated units.

And here are the figures for 1997-2012:
    2013 - 28,184,085 estimated units
    2012 - 29,602,125 estimated units
    2011 - 26,522,201 estimated units
    2010 - 23,528,000 estimated units
    2009 - 24,126,336 estimated units
    2008 - 25,760,378 estimated units
    2007 - 29,597,217 estimated units
    2006 - 30,243,575 estimated units
    2005 - 26,995,698 estimated units
    2004 - 23,895,322 estimated units
    2003 - 22,344,120 estimated units
    2002 - 20,687,488 estimated units - Dan Didio joins DC as VP of Editorial.
    2001 - 21,220,332 estimated units
    2000 - 23,243,656 estimated units
    1999 - 25,141,760 estimated units
    1998 - 22,869,060 estimated units
    1997 - 26,323,968 estimated units

And, out of interest, here's the Marvel numbers:

Marvel Sales - Top 300 (Jan- Apr) 2014 - 9,858,996 estimated units.
    Marvel Sales - Top 300 (Jan- Apr) 2013 - 11,388,530 estimated units.

And here are the figures for 1997-2012:
    2013 - 31,243,347 estimated units
    2012 - 30,278,745 estimated units.
    2011 - 29,522,809 estimated units
    2010 - 29,998,200 estimated units
    2009 - 34,167,744 estimated units
    2008 - 37,269,988 estimated units
    2007 - 38,132,744 estimated units
    2006 - 34,647,105 estimated units
    2005 - 32,461,832 estimated units
    2004 - 32,021,066 estimated units
    2003 - 28,974,336 estimated units
    2002 - 28,473,404 estimated units
    2001 - 25,349,296 estimated units
    2000 - 21,948,494 estimated units - Joe Quesada becomes EIC.
    1999 - 24,111,104 estimated units
    1998 - 27,015,555 estimated units
    1997 - 32,664,192 estimated units
    DRINK!

Maybe is too soon for for such predictions, but I think that in the end, the DC Sales go back to 2012-2013 numbers (at least, the difference between 2013-2014 will be less than 2012-2013, if in the end 2014 didn't surpass 2013 numbers). But for Marvel, I didn't see right now anything that like that, and probably the Marvel numbers will be like 2010-2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomune View Post
    Maybe is too soon for for such predictions, but I think that in the end, the DC Sales go back to 2012-2013 numbers (at least, the difference between 2013-2014 will be less than 2012-2013, if in the end 2014 didn't surpass 2013 numbers). But for Marvel, I didn't see right now anything that like that, and probably the Marvel numbers will be like 2010-2011.
    Marvel got a huge boost with ASM 1, and DC has a bunch of big titles they're about to put out, so I'd be pretty surprised if that numbers for 2014 are significantly lower than the numbers from 2013. Add in digital growing every day, and I think things are looking pretty good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Marvel got a huge boost with ASM 1, and DC has a bunch of big titles they're about to put out, so I'd be pretty surprised if that numbers for 2014 are significantly lower than the numbers from 2013. Add in digital growing every day, and I think things are looking pretty good.
    Frankly, if DC's numbers stay above 2010, I think it's all good.

I was going to make a point that comics sales overall are down now, so lower sales for DC should be discounted, but I can't say that I remember how comics sales were doing overall in the pre-relaunch period either so it wouldn't be fair to discount on one side and not the other.

Ultimate Member

Frankly, if DC's numbers stay above 2010, I think it's all good.

I was going to make a point that comics sales overall are down now, so lower sales for DC should be discounted, but I can't say that I remember how comics sales were doing overall in the pre-relaunch period either so it wouldn't be fair to discount on one side and not the other.
    Comic sales were dismal before the re-launch.

The new 52 really re-energized the industry (despite several nay sayers) sales wise. DC really took control of the market for a while (it obviously wasn't going to last forever) but it was extremely impressive for a while. If DC stays above 2010 numbers, then that'll be great.

That being said, putting out more product and trumpeting increased sales isn't the way to go IMO (which is what pumping out weekly series will simply do). Marvel have been doing something like that with their double shipping but sales per unit have been going down however the increased output is simply masking the decline.

If sales per unit are trending down (which is what is happening) then it's an industry wide problem that needs addressing. For DC (and the major publishers) concrete strategies should be employed to get more people into stores and convert more people digitally which is an area that Marvel to their credit have been pushing very effectively. Stuff like a DC Unlimited app (with DCs very vast library) should be employed and for customers outside the US, access to the DC app should be re-addressed (it's no longer available on most foreign apple app stores).

The weeklies aren't actually creating more product, as each one is replacing four cancelled titles. The New 52 will still be averaging 13 books per week, as usual.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    The weeklies aren't actually creating more product, as each one is replacing four cancelled titles. The New 52 will still be averaging 13 books per week, as usual.
    Oh, really?

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Oh, really?

I stand corrected.
    This is the most recent list I found, which doesn't include the Earth 2 weekly:

Justice League
    Justice League United
    Justice League 3000
    Aquaman
    Aquaman and The Others
    Wonder Woman
    The Flash
    Green Arrow
    Earth 2
    Worlds' Finest
    Secret Origins
    Batman
    Detective Comics
    Batman and...
    Batgirl
    Batwoman
    Batwing
    Birds of Prey
    Catwoman
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Harley Quinn
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Superboy
    Supergirl
    Batman/Superman
    Superman/Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Red Lanterns
    Sinestro
    All-Star Western
    Infinity Man and the Forever People
    Star-Spangled War Stories
    Justice League Dark
    Swamp Thing
    Constantine
    Trinity of Sin: Pandora
    Trinity of Sin: Phantom Stranger
    Batman Eternal
    Future's End

42 or 48 depending on how you count the weeklies.
    4 more books a month would make it 52.