Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Thank God they established a credible romantic relationship for Lana instead of the old Smallville sweetheart routine.
    What i was meaning in my reference to Smallville was more about her physical appearance, foundational personality and general mannerisms.

I also wasn't very happy with a lot of what the creative teams in Smallville did with her... especially the stuff with Lex made me want to walk into the ocean and never return, although they did a fairly decent job of redeeming things from that ghastly Lex story arc and the seemingly endless lying to her and keeping her in the dark, thankfully. But yeah... There was a lot of things i was frustrated with from a creative view, but even with it's faults that version of Lana is so strongly connected to me after 161 episodes that it's difficult to separate when going so far away from it.

[Which i admit is more of an issue with myself and something i can't get over in that regard of physical appearance, etc, than a commentary on Pak/Kuder's version of Lana. If others connect with it, fair enough.. this Pak/Kuder run simply isn't for me and i'll patiently await something that is, going forward]
    Last edited by SXVA; 11-05-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I like the Lana and John Henry coupling.

So what happened?

Enjoyed this issue.

BANNED

Man the times they are a changing.

15 years ago people would have gone Ape$hit over a Lana/ Steel relationship. Nice to see we have come a long way in 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post

15 years ago people would have gone Ape$hit over a Lana/ Steel relationship. Nice to see we have come a long way in 15 years.
    15 years? I'm assuming that you mean the comic scene exclusively? Because the late 80s/90s were very progressive in general... maybe 30-40 years ago.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    15 years? I'm assuming that you mean the comic scene exclusively? Because the late 80s/90s were very progressive in general... maybe 30-40 years ago.
    It was still Taboo even then. In the last 10 to 15 years people have really come to accept interracial relationships. Comics in general it was unheard of.

It was still Taboo even then. In the last 10 to 15 years people have really come to accept interracial relationships. Comics in general it was unheard of.
    I don't know, i'm a 90s kid and from my viewpoint of the world things seemed extremely progressive in general during that time. There was a lot of mixing of different cultures in everything from music to dating. The late 80s/90s is when the whole independent movement scene happened which can be seen reflected throughout music and movies for example [with the countless indie bands and indie movies]. I'm not sure about comics as i basically just picked some comics off a rack at a local store and wasn't a part of any comic community at the time.

Maybe my perspective of things then wasn't completely accurate, i can't say with absolute certainty but that's how it seemed to me. I'm sure it was frowned upon in certain circles, it still probably is even now and going forward but in general i felt like there was a very strong progressive and independent movement during that time.
    Last edited by SXVA; 11-05-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

Created in 1988:

Extraño.jpg

Never forget.

Fourteen years ago, Lois Lane's sister, Lucy Lane, married and had a baby with Ron Troupe, a black man.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Fourteen years ago, Lois Lane's sister, Lucy Lane, married and had a baby with Ron Troupe, a black man.
    Yeah, but aside from the likes of us who gives a crap about Lucy Lane and Ron Troupe? Heck, as one of us, I don't even really care about them.

And it was a big deal within the story itself as a I recall, at least with her parents.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Yeah, but aside from the likes of us who gives a crap about Lucy Lane and Ron Troupe? Heck, as one of us, I don't even really care about them.

And it was a big deal within the story itself as a I recall, at least with her parents.
    I was just pointing out that interracial couples aren't new to the Superverse. It was an issue that was tackled 14 years ago, and in doing so paved the way for stories like this one.

Jumped back on with this issue and enjoyed it. But Im not sure how I feel about Superbeard. I too like the Lana and John couple. Not a pairing I'd have thought of but have no complaints. A little morbid in tone, as I was hoping for a little lighter fair, but I guess we'll see how it turns out. If I catch up with Supergirl, I'll be reading every book in the Superman line, which will be nice. I don't recall doing that since like 1993 haha.

BANNED

my friend said that luke cage and jessica jones got a lot of bashing because of interacial relationship, and ww and trevor barnes also got it. people even callef to DC.

I just thing is a forced relationship...that is just common on superman comics. unfortunaly

I like it. Could have stood to be built up more instead of hinted at once then going in full steam ahead thanks to the 60 day timeskip, but all the same I enjoy their dynamic.