Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default What old Vertigo series to read?

I just finished Y The Last Man as well as Sandman and loved them both! I'm reading through Sweet Tooth and Fables atm but I'm looking for another series for when I finish those two. I have a few ideas of what to read but I can't decide which to read first.

100 Bullets

Transmetropolitan

Preacher

The Invisibles

All of them appeal to me for different reasons and I honestly can't decide. Which series would you suggest? Would you even suggest one not on this list?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Personally, I like The Invisibles the best, but you won't go wrong with any of them. I guess it kinda depends on what you're most into? If you like crime, 100 Bullets. Sci-fi satire? Transmet. Weird, conspiracy craziness? The Invisibles. A modern day western? Preacher.

I'd also recommend The Unwritten, Lucifer, and Deadenders.

Preacher for sure.I can recommend American Vampire.Punk Rock Jesus and Scalped are great reads also.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

You can't go wrong with almost anything Vertigo published between 1993 and 2003.

Seriously.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

The Invisibles is the best one on that list.

Don't read the invisibles unless you know you can tolerate Grant Morrison's paticular brand of pretentious paranoia. I'm reading it right now and well... It's what you'd expect from a guy who holds cross-dressing seances and thinks his ideas were implanted in his head by aliens.
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 11-03-2014 at 07:15 PM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Every one of those are great. But Invisibles is an aquired taste, I'd recommend reading some other Morrison books before that like Animal Man, Doom Patrol and Batman.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Old Vertigo series that I like:
    100 Bullets
    Hellblazer
    Human Target
    The Losers
    Lucifer
    Madame Xanadu
    Preacher
    The Sandman
    Sandman Mystery Theatre
    Scalped
    Shade, the Changing Man
    Transmetropolitan
    Unknown Soldier by Dysart
    Young Liars

I wasn't a fan of The Invisibles but it has its fans.
    BB

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Every one of those are great. But Invisibles is an aquired taste, I'd recommend reading some other Morrison books before that like Animal Man, Doom Patrol and Batman.
    I've read his Animal Man and Batman. Loved both!

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    I've read his Animal Man and Batman. Loved both!
    Then read it! I've only read ASS, the first Batman deluxe and Seven soldiers before that, but I knew I was intrigued by his ideas. Some parts are harder to understand than others but overall it's a great story, one of my favourites.
    The Filth is good too but I found it a bit harder to decypher and a bit too gross at parts (still great, and ther artwork is very very good).
    Haven't read all of Transmetro but what I've read I absolutely loved.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Don't read the invisibles unless you know you can tolerate Grant Morrison's paticular brand of pretentious paranoia. I'm reading it right now and well... It's what you'd expect from a guy who holds cross-dressing seances and thinks his ideas were implanted in his head by aliens.
    By the end the story changes several times and I think the overall concepts evolve as Morrison's worldview matured a bit. Or...well maybe it was his plot all along, but there are several hints at the beginning that not everything is what it seems (not big plot twists, rather conceptual elements).

Transmet is like the best thing ever.

Preacher sounded like something I wouldn't like, but I kept seeing it mentioned and ended up loving it.

Tried to read Invisibles a few times now, and couldn't even finish the first trade. But, other than All-Star Superman, I'm not much of a Morrison fan.

Nobody recommends Nevada?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Nobody recommends Nevada?
    I only mentioned ongoing series in my posts. The list would be longer with limited series.
    Is Nevada out of print?
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Soo.....you like Grant Morrison, or no? I can't tell.