Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Default Gotham Academy #2 Preview/Discussion

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...demy-2-preview

Hmmm, I wonder what we'll see next. Either way, pretty art!

BANNED

Art is so pretty

Always Rakzo

This was even better than the previous issue. Much more content.

Astonishing Member

Ha! The Bookworm!

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I really hope people support this book. It is unlike anything I can ever remember DC putting out and the quality deserves to be rewarded. And I think the potential to make this into a cartoon is huge

Spectacular Member

Huh.. First issue was everything I expected, and I loved it.

I also loved this issue, but it wasn't what I expected. Not neccesarily bad, but the pacing is really weird (which does kinda throw me off) and it is really adventurous. I love all the references, especially Aunt Harriet! And I am intrigued.. who is her mother? And what is up with those helmets and the bat stuff? This series is going to dig deep into the Batman lore, I do think.

BANNED

It definitely has a fun "Harry Potter mystery" vibe. And the art is gorgeous.

Astonishing Member

Well things got really interesting in this issue. Glad the book is digging into horror and conspiracies, and not sticking exclusively to school drama.

As a nitpick, they're probably overdoing the ancient feel of the school. Even schools like Harvard have white boards and projector screens, though I guess it doesn't look as authentic.

"Im gonna loot the crap out of this place"

Ha, ha, ha this was fun.

My only nitpick is that the colorist seems to skimp on the detail when it comes to the girls' plaid skirts. The artist draws wrinkles and folds in the material, but then the plaid is just sort of slapped over it, with no effort to make the pattern conform to the drawings. Perhaps it's easier that way, but it does kind of bug me.

But otherwise, good second issue. Really enjoying this book so far and its characters, and I hope it lasts for a good time. I'm no "Big Two Hater," but it does feel more like an indie title than something from DC.

And yeah, "I'm gonna loot the crap out of this place" really made me laugh.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Thoroughly enjoyed it. MAPS was her usual brilliant self. I Really hope this book lasts a while; it has So much potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    My only nitpick is that the colorist seems to skimp on the detail when it comes to the girls' plaid skirts. The artist draws wrinkles and folds in the material, but then the plaid is just sort of slapped over it, with no effort to make the pattern conform to the drawings. Perhaps it's easier that way, but it does kind of bug me.
    That style is used in animations all the time, and given how this book often has a look that resembles animation cells more than tradition comic styles, I have no problem with it.

Ya I rather like it. It reminds me of Chowder.

Astonishing Member

I didn't see him coming but had historically wondered if there would ever be a place in modern continuity where Roddy McDowell Bookworm was appropriate. BINGO.

Gotham needs more colorful penny-ante rogues.

It was nice to see the cast expand a little bit, open up and breathe, and introduce some more mysteries. Load up on those mysteries, young novelists!

Another win.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Oh, wow. I hadn't even realized the guy in the library was a pre-existing character. It's been years since I've seen much of the '60s Batman TV show and didn't remember Bookworm.

However, I did wonder if the chemistry teacher with the bowl cut was supposed to be Professor Milo.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010