Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Loved the issue but wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. So, what exactly is up with what happened to Olive this past summer? Is this something that was mentioned/explained in the first issue or just something that is slowly being revealed? Also, is there any hint that we should know who Olive's mother is?

Astonishing Member

Is there and significance to the Bookworm being named Mr. Scarlett?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    My only nitpick is that the colorist seems to skimp on the detail when it comes to the girls' plaid skirts. The artist draws wrinkles and folds in the material, but then the plaid is just sort of slapped over it, with no effort to make the pattern conform to the drawings. Perhaps it's easier that way, but it does kind of bug me.
    I actually think that its a conscious artistic choice on the colorist's part. Plus, like FHIZ said, that technique is used in animation from time to time (especially animes) and this book definitely has an anime type feeling to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I didn't see him coming but had historically wondered if there would ever be a place in modern continuity where Roddy McDowell Bookworm was appropriate. BINGO.

Gotham needs more colorful penny-ante rogues.
    Huh. Hadn't thought of that.

Actually, I'd take it further. I think Gotham needs some colorful penny-ante rogues that Batman actually saves and converts to a lawful life (as well as some that he doesn't save).

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Loved the issue but wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. So, what exactly is up with what happened to Olive this past summer? Is this something that was mentioned/explained in the first issue or just something that is slowly being revealed? Also, is there any hint that we should know who Olive's mother is?
    You're not missing anything. It's one of the book's mysteries that will unfold as the story plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I actually think that its a conscious artistic choice on the colorist's part. Plus, like FHIZ said, that technique is used in animation from time to time (especially animes) and this book definitely has an anime type feeling to it.
    Interesting. I don't think I've ever noticed anything like that done in animation before, so it stood out as an odd conflict with the rest of the superb art detail and felt a little like time-cutting laziness more than anything else. Still a bit of annoyance to me, but like I said, ultimately not a big deal.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

All-New Member

I still don't like it, but i will still give till the first arc is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Interesting. I don't think I've ever noticed anything like that done in animation before, so it stood out as an odd conflict with the rest of the superb art detail and felt a little like time-cutting laziness more than anything else. Still a bit of annoyance to me, but like I said, ultimately not a big deal.
    Yeah, I'll admit it's a jarring effect when you start noticing it, but I think it can contribute to a project's overall aesthetic in some interesting ways. Luckily if it still bothers you, it's only a few plaid skirts and not all over the place.

And just for reference, cus why not, here's a clip of the style in motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoTEb3Ky68

This book just doesn't do anything for me. The first issue was sort of interesting and I gave it more of a break because it had to take care of a lot of exposition but overall this is a book where not a lot happens. I think that part of the fun is probably supposed to be the mystery but I don't think this book lends itself well to the monthly format. I understand not a lot is happening to build suspense but suspense is hard to maintain over the course of a month.

Hands down my favorite issue this week
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

Quote Originally Posted by jaygarrick'shelmet View Post
    This book just doesn't do anything for me. The first issue was sort of interesting and I gave it more of a break because it had to take care of a lot of exposition but overall this is a book where not a lot happens. I think that part of the fun is probably supposed to be the mystery but I don't think this book lends itself well to the monthly format. I understand not a lot is happening to build suspense but suspense is hard to maintain over the course of a month.
    I would disagree that "not a lot happens"

The art is just too cute for words.

Looking forward to more revelations.

The art is amazing. I love it.

The story... well, things are happening, but I'm not sure yet what this is going to be about. Many intriguing elements, but they better make sense once we know more. It's frustrating that we have to wait another month. Monthlies are such a slow way to follow a story. I'm on board for the moment, though.

I like Maps. Her "I'm gonna loot the crap out of this place" was the best line of the issue.

But what the hell were those kids doing with that weird ritual? And isn't it a bit blatant the way the walk through the campus in full sight of anyone who happens to look through the window?

Olive seems to want to keep her distance from Maps and her family, so I don't know why she always seems to end up doing her investigations with her.

Quote Originally Posted by db105 View Post
    . . . Olive seems to want to keep her distance from Maps and her family, so I don't know why she always seems to end up doing her investigations with her.
    Don't forget, in issue #1 Olive was put in a sort of "mentoring" position with Maps.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm loving this book so far, and although I love the slow burn mystery they're playing out I have to admit that it felt like I had missed an issue while reading this one, so much so that I went online to double check if there had been like a Halloween special that I missed or something that took place between issue one and two.

I gave the first couple issues of this series a try after reading all the good press, and it's decent but I'm not really getting all the hype.

I like most of the little things and the series on a superficial level. The art is really nice. I've always liked Karl Kerschl, his style is extremely likable and blends modern American animation and manga influences really nicely. The colors are unique and do a lot to set the atmosphere. The writing on a technical level (dialogue, scripting, pacing) is fine. The covers highlight some fun scenes that are naturally exciting and appealing (dangerous rappelling, cult worship stuff, etc). The series is obviously a really nice change of pace from DC's dreary monotone house style.

I'm just not into the bigger picture stuff. Maps is cute and some of the weirdo faculty (Hammer, the dude in the library) have great designs, but none of the characters are really interesting or compelling at all. I don't really have any reason to care about Olive or what's going on with her. The hints at "what happened last summer" or whether the mansion is haunted feel like cover-ups to hide a pretty nonexistent plot or larger reason for the series to exist. It's fine if they want to reveal things slowly but I think they needed to drop some bigger bombs in the first issue or two to give readers more of a reason to come back. Unless I read some crazy plot spoilers I probably will not buy further issues...I definitely think Batgirl is the more impressive of the Brendan Fletcher Bat-books at this stage.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Is there and significance to the Bookworm being named Mr. Scarlett?
    The Batman wiki page (http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/The_Bookworm) lists "A.S. Scarlet" as an alias of the bookworm, but I'm not sure where that originally comes from.