Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Kid Flash: Wallace West Appreciation Thread

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to create this thread as the other wally west thread is tailored towards those interested in old school wally. This thread are for those that are interested, curious, or like Nu 52 Wally West and would like to talk about the character with like minded individuals. For those that do not like or care about the character, please do not comment in the thread.

So it seems like we're finally starting to see a transition with Wally, which is good. It kinda of reminded me of what they did with Shazam, how Shazam was changed into a more problem child format that later became a hero, it looks like they are taking that road with wally.

BANNED

I'm curious to see what they do with him. I've been enjoying him so far.

I liked what Venditti done with future Wally in the latest issue.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I'm curious to see what they do with him. I've been enjoying him so far.
    He has potential, but DC is moving the ball *way* too slowly on his development. I'm hoping (and expecting) that changes soon.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    He has potential, but DC is moving the ball *way* too slowly on his development. I'm hoping (and expecting) that changes soon.

Indeed what would have been better if Wally was the one that got the blue suit and Evil future Barry was Quicksilv...I mean chrome Flash.

I think that the flash book in general is one of the few nu52 books that did the reboot thing write. They gave us a good writer to start with, second writer following up isn't bad and Wally has been changed and is young but this is a Flash story that takes place in a rebooted universe. Only issues I have with it is nu52 launched with an impulse(sort of) and an adult nightwing, Jason Todd, and almost adult Tim. As long as you don't think about it there isn't anything wrong with the rebooted flash series to have a younger wally west who eventually becomes kid flash and then flash.

Astonishing Member

Same here, and I notice that the same issue they had with Shazam. Billy took a relatively long time to progress with his development so it's interesting our eerily similar their cases our. But I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they have in the future.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Basically my sentiments, BA.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Article On Brett Booth and the redesign of Wally West

BRETT BOOTH on Redesigning WALLY WEST & Bringing the Future THE FLASH
    by Vaneta Rogers, Newsarama Contributor
    Date: 06 November 2014 Time: 05:20 PM ET
    1122 131 Reddit7 Submit0
    DC Comics January 2015 soliciations
    CREDIT: DC Comics
    View full size image

For the last seven months, Brett Booth has been not only been defining the look of DC's The Flash, but (as he pointed out to Newsarama), he's already added a couple new Flashes to the mix.

That includes the New 52 version of Wally West as a speedster. Wally, sparked mixed reactions from internet fans when he was introduced to the New 52 in April, because his racial heritage and origin had been changed.
    The Flash #35
    [Pin It] CREDIT: DC Comics
    View full size image

But in last month's The Flash #35, Wally appeared in a Booth-design Flash costume to save the world from Booth's other newly designed Flash, a jaded, future version of Barry Allen.

After our interview last month with Flash co-writers Robert Venditti and Van Jensen, Newsarama talked to Booth to find out more about his approach to the new Flash characters and what he's drawing now for future issues.

Newsarama: Brett, the last time we talked was before your first issue of The Flash was released. At the time, you were hoping that Wally West fans would be happy with the way he was introduced and portrayed. What's been the response so far, and what's your hope for the future of the character?

Brett Booth: Hard to tell really. I had to stop reading most of the comments. The purists aren't happy because he was changed, but the rest of folks seem to be OK and even happy with the change. I know some bi-racial fans are very happy; they are now represented in the Flash Universe.

My hope is to get him some powers and maybe a spin off book! Wally was cool because he was an out superhero, and while the secret identity works for most characters, he is simply the Flash; you get what you see, warts and all. Doing that with a teen would be interesting and could be a lot of fun!

Nrama: Let's talk about your design for Wally's costume. What was your thought process as you put together his futuristic Flash costume?

Booth: Wally's costume is actually based on a proposal I did years ago. He's sort of a hybrid between Flash, Kid Flash and Max Mercury. I had to talk very fast to get them to change the open top to the regular skullcap.

The silver is both a nod to Walter West and Max Mercury. In my pitch I had Wally come back as a descendant of Max — it was why the Speed Force seemed drawn to the Wests. Max was family.

When I got the scripts, I saw Wally Flash would only be temporary, so I figured I'd see if they would let me use the already done design (it's just a one-off, so it's an easier process then a regular design). They seemed to go for it.

I just futured up the ear pieces and arm and leg bands. I'm just glad most people seem to like it.

Nrama: We've been told that the Barry from the future, who's leaned toward playing the role of villain so far, will be more like a protagonist in upcoming stories, as he gets a second chance at living his past. Can you describe how you draw this Barry from the future without his costume, and how you signify that he's not the Barry we know?

Booth: Well, he's 20 years older, so he's a bit thinner in the face, with stubble and thinning hair. They are the same guy so it's not a big change. He's also usually frowning, so furrowed brows and a bit of jowls.

http://www.newsarama.com/22658-brett...the-flash.html
    You can find the whole article here but it's pretty interesting stuff. Can't post the whole thing because of the 10k character limit.

Astonishing Member

Quick Question BTW, I know a part of the change is due to Wally West appearing as biracial in the television show, does anyone know when he's supposed to make his appearance? Has it been confirmed yet?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Quick Question BTW, I know a part of the change is due to Wally West appearing as biracial in the television show, does anyone know when he's supposed to make his appearance? Has it been confirmed yet?
    He'll be on the show eventually.

I really like the new 52 Wally. His origin may not be anything out of the box, but it was interesting and it is cool to see Wally s a kid again and possibly watch him grow up with Barry as kid Flash just like older readers got to with pre Flashpoint Wally. I really liked the moment him and Barry had at the bseball game and last months issue of Flash as well as the Futures End tie in were really good for Wally in terms of character development.

I remember reading in 2012 I believe that Francis Manapul said him and Buccellato had a proposal for new 52 Wally and it was on Didio's desk or someone in charges desk. Does anyone know anything about their Wally and if he was drastically different from what we got?

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    He will probably make an appearance in the season 1 finale or very early in season 2. At least that is my guess.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    I remember reading in 2012 I believe that Francis Manapul said him and Buccellato had a proposal for new 52 Wally and it was on Didio's desk or someone in charges desk. Does anyone know anything about their Wally and if he was drastically different from what we got?
    i don't think anyone knows what their pitch was, but I bet it's pretty different.

BANNED

Careful. I don't think that you are allowed to like the Wally West on here. :-P im joking of course.
    I really like the new 52 Wally. His origin may not be anything out of the box, but it was interesting and it is cool to see Wally s a kid again and possibly watch him grow up with Barry as kid Flash just like older readers got to with pre Flashpoint Wally. I really liked the moment him and Barry had at the bseball game and last months issue of Flash as well as the Futures End tie in were really good for Wally in terms of character development.

He will probably make an appearance in the season 1 finale or very early in season 2. At least that is my guess.
    Last edited by Starchild; 11-11-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

OH I agree, I believe his progress is slow, but it is progressing, we will definitely get to see some heroism eventually and I'm looking forward to that silver costume.

But regarding the show, I'm surprised that they haven't even announced who the actor was going to be for Wally West, we already got Jason Rusch already so I'm guessing wally is going to come out even later.