All-New Member

Default How can I get better at writing?

Hi, I'm new, I've been writing for a few years under a different username, but I'm not sure how this will go, so I used a different username so nobody will know who I am in case things so wrong.

Anyway... How do I become a better comic book writer? I've written stories, fanfics, original stories, even the occasional song, but I'd like to get into the comic book writing business. I may or may not have read PDF files of college-level Writing courses, along with Psychology, Symbolism, Graphics Design, and other topics. I have read the TV tropes page of every comic I've ever read, and memorized every trope relevant to comics, characters, writing tricks and others.

I'd like to write comics. And maybe also write better fanfics, but mostly the comics thing. How do I get started?

(Also, on an unrelated note, does this forum have a section where you walk in and go "Hi, I'm new here. My name is this, and I like X. I don't like blank, and my dream is to insert dream here."?)

Hi Ingenium.

If you would like to introduce yourself there is a thread here to do so.

As far as writing goes, it sounds to me like you are already on the right track. You are already writing often so thats the first step. I guess what you need to decide now is what your goals are. Specifically, what do you want to accomplish in writing? Do you want to continue to do it as a hobby or do you wish to pursue it as a profession? Do you want to make independent comics, webcomics, or do mainstream work for a big publisher? What kindof stories do you want to tell (humor, fantasy, superhero, horror, crime, war, manga, young reader, political) ? Knowing some of these things will give a better idea of what you should do next.

It sounds to me like youre at the point where you need to collaborate with an illustrator. I think this would be a good way to see how well your scripting stands up and where refinements need to be made.
    Last edited by Ghost; 11-05-2014 at 06:57 PM.

All-New Member

I can offer two pieces of advice:

1) Keep writing, and just as importantly FINISH what you write. The only way to learn to write better is to keep doing it. Read Joss Whedon's advice to writers here. It's pretty good.

2) As Ghost said, find an illustrator to collaborate with. Comics is a weird medium where writing is essential and yet virtually nobody will ever want to read just a script (unlike TV and film, both visual mediums where you often sell things on the script alone), so working with an illustrator is key. Also, you will learn a LOT by seeing your script illustrated, and you'll learn even more by working with a talented artist.

You're on the right path. KEEP GOING!

Spectacular Member

I'm not saying I'm good at it, but I start with the DC method then finish with the Marvel method. Basically I write a script full enough that the illustrator knows what's going on, through in references and my ideas for layouts; but give the artist license to ignore me. Then when I get the drawn/colored pages back I letter them. My lettering processes also involves a lot of improving the dialogue.

Some more thoughts... Is there really anyone on earth that would pay you to write though? I abandoned that hope before even investigating it. I just assume that if you want to see your work in comic book form you have to send the artist a check first. Though for more skilled writers maybe it's possible. I'm not a skilled writer, more of a crazy idea man. I don't guarantee that my ideas are good, only original.

Incidentally, I'm assuming the same thing about publishing that I assume about illustrating. I'm not going to waste my life auditioning for publishers that aren't going to buy anyway. I'm going straight to the vanity presses. Though I might skip them too, and ask a friend to be my translator while I place a call to a printer in China.
    Why did so many mythic persons have magical powers and flowing white beards? http://www.electromagnate.net/

If you want to become a better writer first of all its very important to write every day, because you need a lot of practise. Also follow successful journalists and writers on twitter, facebook and so on. Sometimes you can find something really useful in their posts. Spend some time looking for communities for writers. As for me, I started to write at the university and now my skills are not bad because of tonns of essays, paper works and so on.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_g View Post
    If you want to become a better writer first of all its very important to write every day, because you need a lot of practise. Also follow successful journalists and writers on twitter, facebook and so on. Sometimes you can find something really useful in their posts. Spend some time looking for communities for writers. As for me, I started to write at the university and now my skills are not bad because of tonns of essays, paper works and so on.
    What would you recommend to a poor person who can't get into a university?

marta

In that case, you might look for ways to exchange script critiques.

All-New Member

Just keep writing and get critiques.
    As one the above posters mentioned, finish what your write.

Yup, go with the writing but also do plan ahead with what you want to write. Not just a plot outline but who are the characters? Where did they come from? What inspires them? What do they sound like? What kind of world do they live in? You'll find it a lot easier if you have a 'real' world there as the basis as the characters will pretty much write themselves!

All-New Member

Some good advice here. I would add that writing has to become part of your daily ritual.

This has been hard for me. For the longest time I went through spurts and starts. I'd bang out 7 to 10 pages in a weekend and then nothing for the next week or so. It was hard for me to work it into my schedule, fulltime job and a family at home. So set aside and hour or even 30 min. a day to just write. And I don't mean twitter posts. Make it creative and make it relative to your goals. ... Don't get me started on goal setting.

Don't just focus on comic/script writing. I got my start with short fiction in college and that really drove home the point of character and the concrete reality of the situation. Short fiction is also good for those without an artist. Ultimately you will figure out what is best for you.