View Poll Results: What is your overall reaction to the first year of Superman/Wonder Woman?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • A: I've shipped these two for ages and think this title's amazing. Perfect storytelling

14 22.95%
  • A: I dont care if they are together but this title rocks every single month.

1 1.64%
  • A: I hate these two together but even I cant deny this book is fantastic.

0 0%
  • B: I ship these two hard and this book is consistently above par. Not much to change

8 13.11%
  • B: I dont care about them together but the book is pretty damn good.

6 9.84%
  • B: I shudder at the relationship but the overall book is mostly high quality.

2 3.28%
  • C: I adore them together and the book is okay. I still want some thingss done better.

14 22.95%
  • C: Meh on the relationship and the story. The latter is okay for what I pay for it.

2 3.28%
  • C: The relationship is awful but overall the book is solidly put together.

0 0%
  • D: I have wanted these two to hook up but am disappointed with the delivery.

1 1.64%
  • D: The romance means nothing to me and the delivery has some flaws that need urgent attention

5 8.20%
  • D: I hate the idea of them together and there is not much to change my mind here.

4 6.56%
  • E: After shipping them for ages this is the biggest letdown possible. I want to cry!

1 1.64%
  • E: I didnt care about the relationship before but now I think its just awful.

3 4.92%
  • E: I thought I hated them together, but I didnt really know hate until I read the book.

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well, of the 37 votes in A B or C so far, 30 are from those who ship the couple.
    I didn't expect anything else...

I was indifferent to the relationship prior to the book. As an idea, it just seems so dated, kinda like something out of the seventies. And ultimately, the writing in the book supported that. As a couple, they have zero chemistry, and across X issues of the book, it still seems like the only reason they're together is... well, because they are. The painfully bland characterisation of both characters (but Diana especially) in the book obviously didn't help either. These are quite possibly the dullest two characters currently residing in any DC book on the shelves right now.

Who knows? Perhaps a really good writer might have made this relationship work. And if it goes the distance, maybe someone eventually will. But for now, this was a book with mostly pretty art but absolutely no actual substance whatsoever.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    I didn't expect anything else...
    I have to admit, Gaelforce's B was something of a surprise.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I think it's a falsehood to claim it's a falsehood. You always see sexual-tension between them? Good for you; enjoy yourself. Not everyone always sees them that way all the time. I doubt every writer has always written them that way. Personally, I saw no sexual-tension in Rucka's WW run, eg, with Clark showing up with his proof-read copy of her book (proof-reading is not sexy); I saw a close friend. And, no, I don't believe "When Harry Met Sally." SM/WW fans won't like me playing this card: what episodes of JL/JLU had their sexual tension? Any? No?

Imo, it's largely been (and largely still is) a bring-your-own-chemistry relationship. Some writers even ship it. But "always"? No, not buying (I don't bring enough chemistry, I suppose).
    In my experience reading and watching the cartoons, smww I never got the "chemistry", the sexual tension. It always read to me as a siblings relationship and not one from games of thrones

Extraordinary Member

Huh.

That tapered off pretty quickly.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Hmmm. I wonder how many people would have voted on this poll in the Superman thread. As I recall, didn't you once poll something for SM/WW in both threads?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    In my experience reading and watching the cartoons, smww I never got the "chemistry", the sexual tension. It always read to me as a siblings relationship and not one from games of thrones
    There's a reason for that.

Your experience with these characters, by your own admission, is watching them on the Justice League cartoon and reading the New 52 books. In the New 52, the sexual tension was there from Day One. And in the Justice League cartoon, both characters were written horribly.

Superman and Wonder Woman have had sexual tension moments from the Silver Age all the way into the modern day. There have been multiple Elseworlds stories in which they are together. Even married, in a few of them. The idea of these two icons hooking up is not remotely new. The New 52 just happened to give DC the opportunity to really go for it.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 11-18-2014 at 10:27 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoureStrongIKnow View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder how many people would have voted on this poll in the Superman thread. As I recall, didn't you once poll something for SM/WW in both threads?
    I did, yes.

But in this case I will just post a link.