Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
    I'd love to see a show like Brave and The Bold, but with more of the Bat-family. Something I could watch with my kid. Pretty much the opposite of the Batman I want in my comics and movies! ha
    I can see this, but it would need decent writers.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardNigma View Post
    I would love a new Batman show. They still haven't even matched The Animated Series. It is time for a darker Batman cartoon again.
    ...I just want more TAS yall. They should just copy comic storylines into a TAS mold. And the straight to Netflix idea is gold.

Extraordinary Member

While BTAS did feature the Bat-Family, Id say we've yet to see a show that exploited the family to its greatest potential. If you focused a series around the Batfamily, and I'm talking a Batfamily roughly on par with a Power Rangers team in numbers and differentiation (red-head Jason, Arabic Damian, cowled Tim, Cass Cain Batgirl, Babs Oracle, Daddy Batman, Big Bro Dick, whatever), you've got base of characters who you can have develope as a family and give individual character arcs to. And even the most cynical Batfans, and I'm talking the ones who despise either the idea of Robin or the idea of multiple Robins, must admit that there is an economic appeal to having different specialized versions of successful archetypes.

Differentiating the Robins and Batgirls would be paramount: give each charcater a distinct code name and profile, a distinct personality and flaw, and varying levels of trust and a heirarchy in the family. Have Dick and Babs be junior-partners in the leadership of the team with Batman, or have one be a peer and consigliere type advisor, or go ahead and start the series with Dick putting on the cowl and recapture some Batman Beyond magic. Have Dick and Jason as rival role models for Tim, Damian and Tim as sitcom arch enemies, have Babs be the cool big sis to Steph or Cass while having a cooler relationship with an autonomous Huntress, just make sure that everyone has a unique relationship with everyone else.

And exploit the full rogues gallery. Beware the Batman was good at bringing up c and d listers, but you know what's cooler than a reinvented Magpie? A reinvented Magpie competing with and acting as a foil to Catwoman. Or if Ra's shows up, establish his rivalry and war with a not-luchadore Bane. Or have all the A-list villains portrayed as major, multi-hero threats: Poison Ivy with full plant monster abilities, while Pig and Toad are villains Tim or Damian can tackle themselves. Similarly, maybe we see Fright try and usurp Scaecrow's position and witness her fall. And make Joker the once a season HSQ he could be.

The biggest argument against a show, any show at this date, is that high-quality cartoons don't seem to move merchandise nearly as much as they used to. But there's some way to make a Batman show profitable once more. I just hope it is something wildly different from the last few iterations. And I think a large ensemble with heavy character interactions, even if they end up as primarily comedic, would be one way to change that recipe. Just imagine a show where you know that Steph's going to "babysit" Damian, or where we see Selina torn between her friends in the Sirens and Birds and treating that like a sitcom.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    While BTAS did feature the Bat-Family, Id say we've yet to see a show that exploited the family to its greatest potential. If you focused a series around the Batfamily, and I'm talking a Batfamily roughly on par with a Power Rangers team in numbers and differentiation (red-head Jason, Arabic Damian, cowled Tim, Cass Cain Batgirl, Babs Oracle, Daddy Batman, Big Bro Dick, whatever), you've got base of characters who you can have develope as a family and give individual character arcs to. And even the most cynical Batfans, and I'm talking the ones who despise either the idea of Robin or the idea of multiple Robins, must admit that there is an economic appeal to having different specialized versions of successful archetypes.
    For the non reader it going to be rather confusing with several Robins.
    Jason is not really a part of the team but more pissed of. You will also have to tell his story somehow either through flashback or by telling the story from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Differentiating the Robins and Batgirls would be paramount: give each charcater a distinct code name and profile, a distinct personality and flaw, and varying levels of trust and a heirarchy in the family. Have Dick and Babs be junior-partners in the leadership of the team with Batman, or have one be a peer and consigliere type advisor, or go ahead and start the series with Dick putting on the cowl and recapture some Batman Beyond magic. Have Dick and Jason as rival role models for Tim, Damian and Tim as sitcom arch enemies, have Babs be the cool big sis to Steph or Cass while having a cooler relationship with an autonomous Huntress, just make sure that everyone has a unique relationship with everyone else.
    IF you want Dick and Babs as junior characters how will you fit Tim Drake and Jason in as characters?

The rest of the post I pretty much agree with.

Double post.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 11-09-2014 at 12:52 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    For the non reader it going to be rather confusing with several Robins.
    Jason is not really a part of the team but more pissed of. You will also have to tell his story somehow either through flashback or by telling the story from the beginning.

IF you want Dick and Babs as junior characters how will you fit Tim Drake and Jason in as characters?

The rest of the post I pretty much agree with.
    I think he meant junior partners (as in a law firm). I do like idea of a Bat family of around 5 or so members, each member with their distinct role, and relationships with one another.

BANNED

I'd prefer DickBats and Oracle. Black Mirror style

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Cactus View Post
    I think he meant junior partners (as in a law firm). I do like idea of a Bat family of around 5 or so members, each member with their distinct role, and relationships with one another.
    Ah..of cause, that makes sense. Didn't read it like that the first time.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, and that's exactly what I meant. If you have more than three members of the family, I feel it's important to have a generational difference where one is clearly a "rookie younger sibling." BTNAS did that, but I feel a grand scale application would be better. I would, however, require Dick and Babs to have seniority over all members save Bruce.

And I really do think you could have Dick, Jason, Tim, and Damian in the same show if they were Nightwing (black and blue, taller, slim design with dominoe mask and pretty boy hair), Red Hood (Helmet, jacket, bulkier build, red headed underneath), Red Robin (with the cowl and a medium height, maybe add diversity by giving him mixed ancestry like Damian) and Robin (classic looking suit with hood, sneer, half pint height, definite Middle Eastern look). Kids can handle a team composed of ninjas in palette swapped outfits; They can handle the Batboys when they're not being hammered into "the all black haired, blue eyed, and red and black wearing dominoe masked brothers."

And the same could apply for the Batgirls.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP