Page 6 of 158 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

All I ask for is good special effects.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Pass on anyone and anything from the Batverse coming into SUPERGIRL to make her look incompetent or easily manipulable. See the recent FLASH vs ARROW crossover episode on TV: Oliver should have had multiple broken bones in his body after Barry went all ape-sh#t on him at superspeed, but nope, he's fine, because Barry has no idea how to fight, apparently. Ugh. Non-humans: so dumb; humans: so smart.
    Yeah I saw that stupidity in motion 2 days ago and people trying to defend it. As a Batman fan who is trying hard to respect Superman these days (because oh God that guy really needs some love) I really do hope they don't go that way in Batman V Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I don't know what Atwood's design is likely to be like, but it can't be a bad thing to have a Supergirl costume designed by an actual designer (and a woman) for once. Somehow I feel the idea of putting a belly shirt on a woman in her mid 20s wouldn't get very far.
    she did the best and most functional Black Canary costume, so i think she will gor for something better than a skirt and a top shirt that doesn't even cover her belly

Incredible Member

Please no pants. They put Kara in a pair o pants several years ago, and to these eyes, just didn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    Please no pants. They put Kara in a pair o pants several years ago, and to these eyes, just didn't cut it.
    Oh, I disagree.

I would LOVE to see the CBS crew take some risks with their visual presentation of the character. Pants for Supergirl? I'm onboard! Let's see if there are any examples online:

by periwinklepixie

by sxeven

by naliaw

Probably won't actually look like any of these (admittedly awesome) amatuer redesigns, but I can't wait to see what they come up with for Kara!

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    All I ask for is good special effects.
    Based on The Flash and Arrow, I think we can expect that. I do hope however that they get away from having nearly all their action scenes at night, because that would get pretty old in a Supergirl show.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    she did the best and most functional Black Canary costume, so i think she will gor for something better than a skirt and a top shirt that doesn't even cover her belly
    Yeah, I'm very happy with Atwood's designs for Green Arrow, Flash, and both Canaries so I expect good things from her.

When? I'm pretty sure mainstream continuity Kara has never worn trousers, or at least not for long - maybe there are some 70s costumes she had with trousers I don't know about? The new space armour she just got is the first full-body costume she's had in the modern era. Only Elseworlds and the Smallville comic have gone there before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I doubt they will use that costume if they want to attract women to the show (which happen to be a far greater percentage of the viewing audience than is the case regarding female comic book readers).
    Quoted for truth: if this show is to succeed then having a substantial female audience is essential. I'm told that both Smallville and Lois and Clark had that demographic specifically in mind when they were conceived, and I don't expect this to be any different, especially as they're going for two female leads. Pandering too obviously to the male gaze is going to be a non-starter on TV - as it will very soon be in the comics medium too, quite rightly.

In terms of blending the traditional skirt look with trousers or leggings, something a bit like Alura's New Krypton costume would be pretty cool:

BANNED

Smallville has both versions I would go with,first her Tshir,jeans and jacket look from the show,then her actual suit in the digital comic,both can fly with a female demographic.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    Based on The Flash and Arrow, I think we can expect that. I do hope however that they get away from having nearly all their action scenes at night, because that would get pretty old in a Supergirl show.

Yeah, I'm very happy with Atwood's designs for Green Arrow, Flash, and both Canaries so I expect good things from her.

When? I'm pretty sure mainstream continuity Kara has never worn trousers, or at least not for long - maybe there are some 70s costumes she had with trousers I don't know about? The new space armour she just got is the first full-body costume she's had in the modern era. Only Elseworlds and the Smallville comic have gone there before.

Quoted for truth: if this show is to succeed then having a substantial female audience is essential. I'm told that both Smallville and Lois and Clark had that demographic specifically in mind when they were conceived, and I don't expect this to be any different, especially as they're going for two female leads. Pandering too obviously to the male gaze is going to be a non-starter on TV - as it will very soon be in the comics medium too, quite rightly.

In terms of blending the traditional skirt look with trousers or leggings, something a bit like Alura's New Krypton costume would be pretty cool:
    I personally have zero problems with Kara wearing either a skort or cheerleader shorts underneath a skirt.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    Number 3 for me; Supergirl is my number one comic character.

As for casting: Jimmy Olsen will be a black established actor; Cat Grant will be Hispanic or Asian newcomer; Schott will probably be a little older; Henshaw will be a name and Alex Danvers will be a brand new actress (white/Jewish). This is how Hollywood does all of its casting nowadays, to make sure no one is forgotten.

You can reverse the Cat/Jimmy ethnicities if you like, as long as both groups are covered, it works either way.
    Alright, TheFrozenReptile, let's see if I can imagine some of this casting with your premise.

James Olsen, played by an established 30something Black tv actor: Rainbow Francks (age 35) of STARGATE ATLANTIS fame

Cat Grant, played by a 40something Asian or Latino tv actress: Constance Marie (age 49) of THE GEORGE LOPEZ fame

Huh. That's actually ... not bad.

Y'know, I started this post wanting to gently mock your casting premise, but I think I could come around on this. Still unsure about aging up Jimmy to James, but maybe it needn't be so bad.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 12-07-2014 at 04:21 PM.

I would love to see them use pants on Kara's costume. Haven't read the Smallville book but I loved the Supergirl design. If they go with the suit origin of it being Kryptonian having a skirt would be pretty silly.

Going back to that open casting for Olsen and Grant and flipping it

J. Olsen via 30something Latino actor candidate: Jay Hernandez (NASHVILLE tv series)

C. Grant via 40something Black actress candidate: Essence Atkins (ARE WE THERE YET? tv series)

And according to *

This is very first time I've heard the name "Kara KENT" being thrown around. I have no idea what the credibility of MoviePilot as a reliable source actually is, but if it IS credible, that would indicate two things to me.

1) This show would tie a lot more into the established lore of the Superverse than I initially thought. "Kara Kent" would definitely mean Jonathan & Martha Kent, either in the present or the past, existing in this show. It would also indicate that Clark himself exists as well (esp since all the promotional descriptions for the show keep mentioning Kara's "famous cousin") in some capacity.

2) This show would likely not set on Earth-CW ... which would be fine by me. I like the idea of a DCU world that basically lacks both Super- and Bat- families (Huntress notwithstanding) of heroes. Also, SUPERGIRL being set on its own world (Earth-CBS?) allows the show to set its own pace and not have to keep track of what two other shows (on a different network) are doing.

* - sorry, can't get the MoviePilot article to hyperlink. Just Google "Supergirl" and click on "news" and sort by date. You'll find it.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 12-08-2014 at 07:18 AM.

* - sorry, can't get the MoviePilot article to hyperlink. Just Google "Supergirl" and click on "news" and sort by date. You'll find it.
    Calling her Kara Kent instead of Kara Danvers contradicts the earlier information from the casting calls. They don't have a source for that - they don't even attribute it to anything, they just state the name in the middle of their article - so I'm not going to give it any weight at the moment. Seriously, there are tons of websites commenting on entertainment news and gossip like this online, and all most of them are doing is recycling each other's news, and it's a mistake for one website's extrapolation or inaccuracy to suddenly become everyone else's big talking point - remember that 'rumour' about Wonder Woman in BvS supposedly being Kryptonian which, when you actually read the article it came from, was clearly pure speculation but no one had bothered to look at it for more than 5 seconds to actually realise that? This is why I don't expend energy on trying to piece together the details of a show or film when you know barely anything about it. It's like trying to do a 100-piece jigsaw with only 4 pieces and you start seeing stuff that's not there.

Have patience, everyone. Until anything is officially confirmed, treat all such information as highly suspect. Not that this means we can't discuss hypotheticals of course, just remember to keep things in perspective and knowing this stuff isn't going to get us to the show's premiere any faster.

I wonder ... what are some Supergirl solo stories that could be at least loosely adapted for the upcoming TV show? Nothing involving COIE or the Legion, just Supergirl herself? Or, could some of Power Girl's stories be worthy TV fodder?

I'm sure they could revamp and update characters from the 1984 SUPERGIRL movie to fit into their new setting.

Speaking of revamping and updating ...

by ash7croft

I'm seeing multiple articles stating that Claire Holt is out of the running for the lead role of Kara in CBS's SUPERGIRL tv show.

She has already signed to appear in NBC's Charles Manson series AQUARIUS. Back to the drawing board we go.

Presuming this show will debut in September 2015 with the rest of the network's season premieres, only 9 months to go!

by Tompach

Going back to that open casting for Olsen and Grant and flipping it

J. Olsen via 30something Latino actor candidate: Jay Hernandez (NASHVILLE tv series)

Jay looks like he could be a great Louis Lane.

C. Grant via 40something Black actress candidate: Essence Atkins (ARE WE THERE YET? tv series)

And according to *

This is very first time I've heard the name "Kara KENT" being thrown around. I have no idea what the credibility of MoviePilot as a reliable source actually is, but if it IS credible, that would indicate two things to me.

1) This show would tie a lot more into the established lore of the Superverse than I initially thought. "Kara Kent" would definitely mean Jonathan & Martha Kent, either in the present or the past, existing in this show. It would also indicate that Clark himself exists as well (esp since all the promotional descriptions for the show keep mentioning Kara's "famous cousin") in some capacity.

2) This show would likely not set on Earth-CW ... which would be fine by me. I like the idea of a DCU world that basically lacks both Super- and Bat- families (Huntress notwithstanding) of heroes. Also, SUPERGIRL being set on its own world (Earth-CBS?) allows the show to set its own pace and not have to keep track of what two other shows (on a different network) are doing.

If they are doing this as if Superman were a girl. They could have her real kryptonian name be Kara-El. And her alter ego being Clara Kent. Hell they can use Clark Kent as her human name. It would not be the first time a girl has a "boy's" name.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.