Page 2 of 158 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Re member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I don't want her to be a teenager on the show, simply because Kara is a teenager currently in the comics, and all I've seen so far is angry emo teen, or thinks she knows it all in Justice League united. I'd kind of like to have her angst issues out f the way at the start please.
    These are creative choices, not requirements. Teenagers aren't all that way any more than all comic book readers are socially challenged nerds, scientists are lab-coated villains, or any of the other commonly used stereotypes and tropes.

Continuing on with the mentioned candidates to play Kara on SUPERGIRL ...

Lyndsy Fonseca

DOB: 01/07/1987 (currently 27 years old)
    Height: 5'5"

Ashley Hinshaw

DOB: 12/11/1988 (currently 25 years old)
    Height: 5'7"

Yvonne Strahovski

DOB: 07/30/1982 (currently 32 years old)
    Height: 5'9"

And, just to be completist about it,

Laura Vandervoort

DOB: 09/22/1984 (currently 30 years old)
    Height: 5'7"

Don't really know much about any of these 7 (aside from Laura already playing Kara on SMALLVILLE).*

I will say that, out of those 7, Leven Rambin would get my vote to play Kara on SUPERGIRL.

She's got the face, the body frame, and the age, for starters.

Glancing at her resume: she's had smaller roles in movies like THE HUNGER GAMES, PERCY JACKSON - SEA OF MONSTERS. She's had a recurring role in the short-lived TERMINATOR - THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES tv show, and is currently guesting on the CW's TOMORROW PEOPLE tv show.

I really hope the show merges Kara Zor-El and Kara Zor-L, and is about Supergirl's progression into becoming the more interesting Power Gal (similar to Robin's progression into Nightwing).

* - As an aside, that Yvonne Strahovski should be a lock to play Carol Danvers in Marvel's CAPTAIN MARVEL movie (if PARKS & REC's Chris Pratt can shoulder GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY despite being a TV star, then she should be given the same consideration for CAPTAIN MARVEL). She's got the look, right age, right height, etc.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 11-13-2014 at 03:17 PM.

If an article says it's "rumoured" that the following x people are being considered, you should treat it as complete fiction until proven otherwise. Those articles are lazy clickbait. I do wish the casting for Kara and Alex was race-blind like the casting for Cat Grant and James Olsen. They feel safe enough with people of colour in the supporting cast but not in the lead, it's disappointing but unfortunately wholly predictable.

As for the age of Kara in this, I'm glad that she's an adult and not a teenager for a lot of reasons. 1) It distances it from Smallville comparisons 2) If Superman is either not in this or rarely in it, there's no reason to have her be younger than him and thus constantly looking up to him or in his shadow and she can stand on her own 3) It means she can have a job and a career, and the supporting characters that setting provides (these casting calls already indicate that's important) 4) it means the show can avoid being pigeonholed in the young adult/teen demographic, and appeal to adults as well as younger viewers. I'm sure I could think of more reasons I welcome this decision.

My feeling on race/gender-swap casting in general is this: if said actor/actress does not LOOK like the already-established character (thus making it a bigger buy-in requirement from fans), then they better be able to ACT more like the established character (and make me believe that they are this character).

The reason I'm against the Jimmy Olsen race-blind casting is simple: if the character description holds true (30-something alpha male), then the show's giving us a Jimmy Olsen who acts nothing like Jimmy Olsen ... and on top of that, he's also going to look nothing like Jimmy Olsen? The Buy-in requirement as a fan becomes too high for me and I check out. Now, if the character description had read early 20-something weirdness-magnet with a penchant for getting into trouble, I'd be a lot more comfortable with the race-blind casting. At least, he'll act like Jimmy, if not look it. You can change behavior or appearance, but not both. You can't go 0 for 2 in both categories. Need at least a 1, preferably 2 for 2. You may as well use a different or all-new character in that case.

See also: Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm, now the ADOPTED black brother to white Sue Storm in the upcoming-but-already-reviled FANTASTIC FOUR reboot. Actually, that movie has bigger problems than casting, from what I hear.

So, I'm glad TV Kara herself will at least look recognizably like the character I know. Whether or not she'll act like it is another story entirely, but the show is already open to changing enough aspects as it is, imho.

And now I see that the 30something male lead character on SUPERGIRL will not be called "Jimmy Olsen", but "James Olsen" on the show.

OK, probably best just to think of him as a different character altogether from the comix version, barring any future reversals.

What Superverse characters would you like to see on this show next year (if it goes beyond the pilot)?

My wishlist:

- Clark Kent (but not Superman, used in the pilot and then very sparingly afterward)
    - Mxyzptlk
    - Silver Banshee
    - Maxima
    - Bizarro Supergirl
    - Livewire
    - Volcana
    - Faora/Ursa
    - Cyborg Superman (either the already-established Hank Henshaw or undead Zor-El)
    - John Henry Irons (as a love interest/comp for James Olsen)
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 11-20-2014 at 08:56 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    And now I see that the 30something male lead character on SUPERGIRL will not be called "Jimmy Olsen", but "James Olsen" on the show.

OK, probably best just to think of him as a different character altogether from the comix version, barring any future reversals.

What Superverse characters would you like to see on this show next year (if it goes beyond the pilot)?

My wishlist:

- Clark Kent (but not Superman, used in the pilot and then very sparingly afterward)
    - Mxyzptlk
    - Silver Banshee
    - Maxima
    - Bizarro Supergirl
    - Livewire
    - Volcana
    - Faora/Ursa
    - Cyborg Superman (either the already-established Hank Henshaw or undead Zor-El)
    - John Henry Irons (as a love interest/comp for James Olsen)

Jeez u forgot the one and many at the same time= kon-el

If they do indeed use the Danvers name and use a costume similar to Kara's look in the Smallville comic that could throw a small wrench in Marvel's masterplan for Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    If they do indeed use the Danvers name and use a costume similar to Kara's look in the Smallville comic that could throw a small wrench in Marvel's masterplan for Captain Marvel.
    Hah! Well, they won't be able to say Kara is ripping off Carol, not when Kara precedes Carol in the comics and is still far more well-known.

That does bring up a valid point ... what SHOULD Supergirl's tv costume look like?

Personally, I like her classic look, as demonstrated by Helen Slater in the otherwise forgettabe SUPERGIRL movie from 1984:

maybe just update it a little.

Or they could combine her New52 look with something akin to her cousin's MAN OF STEEL costume, as illustrated here by TSbranch:

Just please: NO belly-shirts!

Incredible Member

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing that outfit or a variation of that outfit on Miss Kara.

So, apparently, there are some reports mentioning that the upcoming SUPERGIRL tv series has been given a formal order, not just a commitment.

And, as an aside, today marks the 30th anniversary of the release of 1984's SUPERGIRL movie!

I guess this counts as news about SUPERGIRL on CBS ... the show may be in the same TV-universe as the CW's ARROW and THE FLASH

The CW is 50% owned by CBS and 50% owned by Warner Bros. So, it would be possible to sidestep the usual different-networks-don't-play-nice-with-each-other nonsense.

What do you think of this possibility? How does the idea of SUPERGIRL coexisting with ARROW and THE FLASH sound to you? Real good chance it won't come to pass, but if it did ...

Incredible Member

I just hope the producers have the same great casting on Supergirl that hey do on Arow and Flash.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I guess this counts as news about SUPERGIRL on CBS ... the show may be in the same TV-universe as the CW's ARROW and THE FLASH

The CW is 50% owned by CBS and 50% owned by Warner Bros. So, it would be possible to sidestep the usual different-networks-don't-play-nice-with-each-other nonsense.

What do you think of this possibility? How does the idea of SUPERGIRL coexisting with ARROW and THE FLASH sound to you? Real good chance it won't come to pass, but if it did ...
    I'm all for a big, shared universe, so I really hope they can make this happen.

The only thing I'd find strange about Supergirl being part of the same universe as Arrow and Flash? In Season One of Arrow, it seemed fairly apparent that costumed vigilantism was very rare, if not nonexistent. The arrival of "The Arrow" in Starling City was a big deal and cause for considerable alarm amongst the law enforcement community. Yet, we know that part of the story for Supergirl is that Superman has been around for some time already. If Superman were active in the Arrow universe, it seems strange to think that the reaction toward The Arrow would've been as strong. Also? If Superman were active, you'd think by now some people would be talking about him in Arrow and/or Flash, comparing these new heroes with Superman and the like.

It's a minor continuity nitpick, of course. And it's easy enough to explain this: Arrow was started with no intention of being part of a larger universe. But it will still require at least some amount of discussion.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--