Page 7 of 158 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

No, no, a thousand times no!

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Jay looks like he could be a great Louis Lane.
    Just wanted to point out you said this, not me. Problems with the /quote tag, I presume.

If they are doing this as if Superman were a girl. They could have her real kryptonian name be Kara-El. And her alter ego being Clara Kent. Hell they can use Clark Kent as her human name. It would not be the first time a girl has a "boy's" name.
    I will bet my entire nerd credibility that they (DC/CBS) will not go this route at all.

It would be disrespectful to both Kal-El and Kara Zor-El as characters to simply merge them into some Super-Frankenstein for this show. Supergirl has carved her own niche within the Superverse and there are stories you can tell with her that you couldn't (without stretching a lot) with Kal and vice versa.

Furthermore, it'd be a gigantic bait-and-switch if you advertise the character as Kara and mention her "more famous cousin" and then get neither in the actual product. SUPERGIRL will feature Kara Zor-El, not a gender-swapped Kal-El.

All they're doing is padding their show with Superman's bells and whistles, but the story will belong to Kara.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Just wanted to point out you said this, not me. Problems with the /quote tag, I presume.

I will bet my entire nerd credibility that they (DC/CBS) will not go this route at all.

It would be disrespectful to both Kal-El and Kara Zor-El as characters to simply merge them into some Super-Frankenstein for this show. Supergirl has carved her own niche within the Superverse and there are stories you can tell with her that you couldn't (without stretching a lot) with Kal and vice versa.

Furthermore, it'd be a gigantic bait-and-switch if you advertise the character as Kara and mention her "more famous cousin" and then get neither in the actual product. SUPERGIRL will feature Kara Zor-El, not a gender-swapped Kal-El.

All they're doing is padding their show with Superman's bells and whistles, but the story will belong to Kara.

I have no idea what route DC & CBS intend to take with Supergirl. Generally I find most (if not all) tv & movie depictions of Superman (& Supergirl) to be disrespectful to them as characters. Tony stark/Ironman is one of the few characters to not get the Hollywood lobotomy, when adapted to tv of movies.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Here's the weird thing: while I'm 100% against them merging Kal-El and Kara Zor-El into one gender-bent Superwoman show, I have 0% problem with them merging Kara Zor-El (Supergirl / Linda Lee) and Kara Zor-L (Power Gal / Karen Starr) into one unified Kara. Mainly because I think Karen Starr was the more developed character and Supergirl stayed too young for too long. Still holding out hope that the CBS show uses more of Karen's traits than Linda's.

Incredible Member

I believe they film pilots the end of Jan./beginning of Feb. so they need to have casting done pretty quicjk since the actress will need to practice her harness work to look believeable flying.

Astonishing Member

jimmy olsen needs to be a red head. just saying.

Incredible Member

Maybe we could toss Babs Gordon & Step Brown into it to make an appearance everyone now and again

Here's a new op-ed article on how to build a great supergirl tv show in five steps or less

Their five steps (and my reactions):

1. Addressing the origin issue (totally agree, pick one origin and stick to it)

2. Don't ignore her family ties (totally agree, Superman has to exist and be accounted for)

3. Cameos, supporting cast and more cameos (kinda meh on this one, a few guest stars is good, too much would be very bad)

4. She has to be Supergirl from the start (totally agree, getting tired of prequel series)

5. Give her things she can hit (totally agree, let her cut loose as much as you can on a network tv budget)
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 12-30-2014 at 11:04 AM.

If Marvel tries to rush Carol Danvers to the big screen before this show, say in an appearance in Avengers 2, I wonder if there would have to be changes made to the pilot. Two blonde super powered heroes named Danvers may not sit well with WB execs. I hope this tv Supergirl gains as much prominence as GL and Flash so people will realize that Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel is the knockoff and not the other way around.

The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    If Marvel tries to rush Carol Danvers to the big screen before this show, say in an appearance in Avengers 2, I wonder if there would have to be changes made to the pilot. Two blonde super powered heroes named Danvers may not sit well with WB execs. I hope this tv Supergirl gains as much prominence as GL and Flash so people will realize that Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel is the knockoff and not the other way around.
    So very, very TRUE!

Carol Susan Jane Danvers Ms. Marvel since 1977
    Linda Lee Danvers Supergirl since 1959

The year isn't over yet so ;
    Happy 55th anniversary (1959-2014) Kara Zor-El the Supergirl from Krypton!
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 12-30-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    4. She has to be Supergirl from the start (totally agree, getting tired of prequel series)

5. Give her things she can hit (totally agree, let her cut loose as much as you can on a network tv budget)
    These two are really important things for me with the show. I don't want to see the "girl version" of Smallville. I want a Supergirl show.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    jimmy olsen needs to be a red head. just saying.
    I agree, it would be a shame to lose Olsen along side Wally West as two of the few redhead men from comics. I'm fine with whatever the ethnicity is of the actor they cast as Jimmy, but he should still be a redhead. It's been a pretty identifiable characteristic for the character since well...forever.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    These two are really important things for me with the show. I don't want to see the "girl version" of Smallville. I want a Supergirl show.
    That's one of the things that I found odd about Smallville. The "super deeds while in hiding", "confused about the future", "who am I going to be", and other tropes applied to Clark/Kal were traditionally Supergirl character points going back to the Silver Age. Seeing Kal-El in that role felt strange.

Maybe that's why we're getting a more adult Supergirl, that character arc was already used on TV for Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    I believe they film pilots the end of Jan./beginning of Feb. so they need to have casting done pretty quicjk since the actress will need to practice her harness work to look believeable flying.
    Really? I mean, in general, if a pilot episode airs in September, they shoot the episode that early in the year? Then I guess official casting announcements will be made this month (January 2015) itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    If Marvel tries to rush Carol Danvers to the big screen before this show, say in an appearance in Avengers 2, I wonder if there would have to be changes made to the pilot.
    Interesting. DC's Supergirl is a far more recognizable character worldwide, but Marvel's Captain Marvel is aiming to be the official female face of her company, something that Supergirl can never be at DC, due to Wonder Woman's permanent queen bee status. Cap's public status is likely going to skyrocket in the next few years due to her presence in the MCCU. Maybe even an official pre-Cap Carol Danvers on this (or next) season's AGENTS OF SHIELDS tv show. So there may be a legitimate fear of confusing potential fans.

I wonder if that fear of confusion may lead to a script change at CBS where Kara Zor-El takes the name "Karen Starr" (or maybe an amalgamated "Linda Starr") to further differentiate herself from the competition's flying blonde powerhouse surnamed Danvers. I've always thought Power Girl was the best version of Kara, and would welcome any of her traits being absorbed into CBS's Kara.

Why does Superman have to exist? Their origins can easily be replaced cause I seriously doubt Superman is going to be allowed since he's got a movie franchise going on atm so why not just make her the only survivor of Krypton instead of Clark? If anything I think her importance to this universe would be far greater if she was its resident "Superman" or Wonder Woman figure if this show is somehow tied to Arrow & Flash.

I've been wondering about how long this takes to get going. I'm not a TV industry person so all I can do is make a comparison with something that already exists. Let's look at the timeline of events on 'The Flash'.

The CW 'fast-tracked' The Flash in mid 2013.
    Grant Gustin was cast in September 2013.
    We saw the first shot of Gustin in-costume (only his head though) in February 2014.
    The Flash pilot was seen by Mark Waid in May 2014 - so it must have been mostly complete?
    The Flash pilot was finally broadcast in October 2014.

So it was barely three months after The Flash got the go-ahead that Gustin was cast. Waid saw the pilot eight months after that, and it was just over a year after the casting that the show premiered. Supergirl doesn't have as much time until Autumn 2015, but I'd presume it's still enough, right? Supergirl was given a series commitment by CBS in September 2014, and casting director David Rapaport has tweeted that the casting for Supergirl will be announced very soon.

Speaking of Mark Waid, he's sure to have opinions about this show too. He loves Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Why does Superman have to exist? Their origins can easily be replaced cause I seriously doubt Superman is going to be allowed since he's got a movie franchise going on atm so why not just make her the only survivor of Krypton instead of Clark? If anything I think her importance to this universe would be far greater if she was its resident "Superman" or Wonder Woman figure if this show is somehow tied to Arrow & Flash.
    I don't think he has to exist - but whether he exists in it or not is only as big a deal as the writers want to make it, because the show isn't about him. If the audience ever starts caring more about if he exists, or seeing him, or wanting him to appear than they do about Kara, it's because they've failed to do their jobs properly and didn't create compelling central characters. If they have done their jobs properly, then having him occasionally appear on it would be a nice bonus and not having him at all wouldn't matter.

An analogous situation is the recently concluded Nickelodeon series, Legend of Korra. Early on plenty of people wanted to see more of what happened to the characters of the show it was a sequel to, Avatar:The Last Airbender, which is natural as we already knew those characters. As the writers got into the groove of their new characters, we cared about those and therefore whenever someone from the old series did show up, it was a nice surprise rather than something we'd been more concerned about than the story they were actually telling. Superman is far more famous than the characters in Avatar, sure, but the principle is exactly the same.
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 01-01-2015 at 05:39 PM.