Page 8 of 158 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Why does Superman have to exist?
    Why indeed? There's a philosophical question for ya: What would the DCU look like without him as a character? Or the real world without him as a franchise? What does his existence ... oh, you meant "on the SUPERGIRL tv show", didn't you? My bad.

Supergirl is a wholly derivative character, like Batgirl. Her origin, powers/skills, costume and insignia are derived from Superman (like Batgirl from Batman). Her existence is solely due to the popularity of Superman. The only reason she is getting a show on CBS is due to her proximity to the proven cash cow that is Superman and not her own solo efforts (of which there has been exactly one: the SUPERGIRL movie in 1984, not exactly a vote of confidence).

Their origins can easily be replaced cause I seriously doubt Superman is going to be allowed since he's got a movie franchise going on atm so why not just make her the only survivor of Krypton instead of Clark?

No they can't "easily be replaced". That's a bait-and-switch of the worst kind, and CBS would get called out on that maneuver immediately.

Superman may be hampered from showing up on TV due to the DCCU. But Clark Kent certainly is not. See Bruce Wayne on Fox's GOTHAM. Clark can show up, in civilian guise, in the series premiere, the series finale and a handful of episodes in between (maybe once a season) without ever stealing the spotlight from Kara. This Supergirl likely will not be a planetary protector (b/c that's Superman's job ... and also network tv budget reasons), but more likely a city-based protector with her own issues to deal with. That's having your cake and eating it too.

If they deny Superman's existence on the show, then I deny my viewership to the show. As will a lot of Superman-first fans, who outnumber Supergirl-first fans by a conservative margin of 100 to 1. CBS knows how many more Superman fans than Supergirl fans there are. They want as many viewers as possible for their show. They cut out Superman entirely, they cut out a whole lot of potential viewers as well. That's a lot of ad money to throw away. And they know this fact.

If anything I think her importance to this universe would be far greater if she was its resident "Superman" or Wonder Woman figure if this show is somehow tied to Arrow & Flash.
    It's unlikely. CBS does not want to be beholden to what the CW has started, it wants its very own sandbox to play with. Networks don't play nice with each other, not even when one (CW) is technically half-owned by the other (CBS) and the showrunner has ties to both networks.

N7 Krypton Elite N7 Joseph Shepard's Avatar

I seriously never understood why there cant be a movie and a TV show happening at the same time. I mean say what you want about how bad it was, but Smallville and Superman Returns happened at the same time, Batman v. Superman is happening at the same time as GOTHAM, the super hero names might not be on the show but it is clearly them so come on lol.

If this show does ignore Superman and if the show descriptions are true.....I like Supergirl (mostly her Power Girl version) but I'm skipping this like I do ARROW.

I would love to see a crossover with Arrow and The Flash. Ollie is already that world's Batman and it would be cool if Kara was the world's lone Kryptonian. Supergirl would then have all the huge responsibilities that Kal usually has. She would be an incredibly important figure in the world that they've been building.

So, I'm seeing a lot of new chatter from various sites (including Cinemablend, Bleeding Cool News, the Superman Super Site and this very one) that British actress Gemma Atkinson has reportedly auditioned for the lead in CBS's SUPERGIRL tv show

Never heard of Gemma Atkinson before, so some quick digging reveals ...

Also,

- DOB: November 16, 1984 (currently 30 years old)

- Height: 5'9", without heels

- Most famous works: Hollyoaks (tv show, 2001 - 2005), Devil's Pass (movie, 2013), Casualty (tv show, 2011 - 2014)

- No relation to Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean)

Initial thoughts: Gemma = Dead Ringer For Power Girl.

If she does get the part, it raises my hopes that CBS's SUPERGIRL will indeed be an amalgamation of Supergirl and the far more interesting Power Girl.

What do y'all think of Gemma Atkinson as a possibility for tv's Kara?

Kinda reminds me a bit of Kaley Cuoco looks-wise.

This is a good thing, lol.

BANNED

She did many things, but I still never heard of her. It's not a good thing.

She looks more like Power Girl, also she is 30, even better for power girl

I think she would be great. Never seen anything she has been in but the reviews I have read were very positive and she looks like Kara to me.

Used to watch Hollyoaks, she was actually a good actress in it. And for a British actor to actually come out of a soap and go for bigger things, its really rare. So good luck.
    That is the land of lost content, I see it shining plain, the happy highways where I went and cannot come again.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Why indeed? There's a philosophical question for ya: What would the DCU look like without him as a character? Or the real world without him as a franchise? What does his existence ... oh, you meant "on the SUPERGIRL tv show", didn't you? My bad.

Supergirl is a wholly derivative character, like Batgirl. Her origin, powers/skills, costume and insignia are derived from Superman (like Batgirl from Batman). Her existence is solely due to the popularity of Superman. The only reason she is getting a show on CBS is due to her proximity to the proven cash cow that is Superman and not her own solo efforts (of which there has been exactly one: the SUPERGIRL movie in 1984, not exactly a vote of confidence).

No they can't "easily be replaced". That's a bait-and-switch of the worst kind, and CBS would get called out on that maneuver immediately.

Superman may be hampered from showing up on TV due to the DCCU. But Clark Kent certainly is not. See Bruce Wayne on Fox's GOTHAM. Clark can show up, in civilian guise, in the series premiere, the series finale and a handful of episodes in between (maybe once a season) without ever stealing the spotlight from Kara. This Supergirl likely will not be a planetary protector (b/c that's Superman's job ... and also network tv budget reasons), but more likely a city-based protector with her own issues to deal with. That's having your cake and eating it too.

If they deny Superman's existence on the show, then I deny my viewership to the show. As will a lot of Superman-first fans, who outnumber Supergirl-first fans by a conservative margin of 100 to 1. CBS knows how many more Superman fans than Supergirl fans there are. They want as many viewers as possible for their show. They cut out Superman entirely, they cut out a whole lot of potential viewers as well. That's a lot of ad money to throw away. And they know this fact.

It's unlikely. CBS does not want to be beholden to what the CW has started, it wants its very own sandbox to play with. Networks don't play nice with each other, not even when one (CW) is technically half-owned by the other (CBS) and the showrunner has ties to both networks.
    You make me laugh. Thank you. To kind of put what you said into perspective I think that you "Denying your viewership" if superman is not recognized in the show is fine but to say that the shows popularity might be negative effected by this would be insane because comic book readers are only a small percentage (most likely less than 1%) of viewers so I dont think they are going to take this into consideration when making determinations like this. And in terms of "Origins being change" Have you not been watching Flash and Arrow? Origins have been changed to make the transition to Television easier and more viewer enticing and to go along with today's relevant events. Also CBS owns 50% of the CW and the other 50% is owned by Time Warner who... Wouldn't you know it... Owns DC... so I dont see them standing in the way of tie-overs between networks to connect stories and create continuity. ALSO wouldnt you know it... Time Warner owns TNT who is going to be creating a for TV Titans series... so I can see Kara showing up there too.. If you connect the dots Time Warner and CBS are creating a real Television DC Universe between their subsidiaries. So back to the original argument, Superman most likely will be referenced so I dont know what the big deal is here... I agree that if he wasnt it would be kind of silly but in the grand scheme of things for the Budding Television Universe I dont see it being a huge deal as some people are making it out to be. Phase 1: Arrow and Flash... Phase 2: Supergirl, A.T.O.M, Fire Storm... Phase 3: Titans. Watch it unfold and enjoy.

Yeah, I could definitely buy her as Power Girl...which kinda in a way makes her good for Supergirl as well .

Regardless of who they choose they definitely will make the casting choice sometime this month or next month at the latest in order to start filming to meet their fall debut. But I think Gemma would be great.

I consider Atkinson a very unlikely casting, mostly due to her age which is outside of the range the initial casting call specified. It also seems less likely that they would go outside of that age range to cast an actress without much name recognition or acclaimed body of work - Atkinson was ok on Hollyoaks, sure, but it's Hollyoaks, it's not a very good soap and she was on it a decade ago. So I don't take this rumour that seriously.

If she was cast, she'd definitely bring some physicality to the role as she currently works as a fitness model as well as an actress. They would definitely avoid the trap of casting a slim woman in a superhero role - she's noticeably more muscular than say, Gal Gadot for example. I really like the idea of Supergirl being athletic, that's one of the reasons I like Mahmud Asrar's depiction of her with the definition of a gymnast over someone like Ian Churchill who drew her limbs like twigs. Given that nearly every on-screen SuperMAN has been massive, I'd consider a fit Supergirl entirely appropriate. But it would be a bonus, not a requirement - all things considered I'd rather they went for a better actress who isn't as buff over an actress who looks athletic but isn't anything special on camera.
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 01-02-2015 at 03:11 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I consider Atkinson a very unlikely casting, mostly due to her age which is outside of the range the initial casting call specified. It also seems less likely that they would go outside of that age range to cast an actress without much name recognition or acclaimed body of work - Atkinson was ok on Hollyoaks, sure, but it's Hollyoaks, it's not a very good soap and she was on it a decade ago. So I don't take this rumour that seriously.

If she was cast, she'd definitely bring some physicality to the role as she currently works as a fitness model as well as an actress. They would definitely avoid the trap of casting a slim woman in a superhero role - she's noticeably more muscular than say, Gal Gadot for example. But all things considered I'd rather they went for a better actress who isn't as buff over an actress who looks athletic but isn't anything special on camera.
    well Supergirl was never muscular, power girl is the one more muscular. Anything about phisical looks can be solved at gym, this shouldn't be a priority. Flash is pretty slim and it worked

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    well Supergirl was never muscular, power girl is the one more muscular. Anything about phisical looks can be solved at gym, this shouldn't be a priority. Flash is pretty slim and it worked
    She has been athletic when drawn by several artists - Gary Frank's Matrix/Linda Danvers certainly was, and Mahmud Asrar's New52 Supergirl was very defined too. In any case I agree, this is a fairly minor concern.

She looks the part but she's a bit too old to play the classic teens to early 20s Supergirl. But they may be going their own way with this show. There may be no Superman in this world so maybe they want Kara to be older and more mature as she would have to fill Kal's huge role in this version of the DCU.