Page 9 of 158 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 2368
  1. #121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    Watch it unfold and enjoy.
    Or not due to various production companies being involved, logistics, different shooting locations and more. For instance, the production company behind Titan is different from the production company being involved in Arrow/Flash. With all these factors, the likelihood of crossovers between shows on different networks is close to zero percent.

    And if Time Warner really wanted to create a DC universe on TV, why putting Constantine on a rival company network (NBC) ? So I am pretty sure the shows being on different networks will remain separate. After all, Geoff Johns was speaking about the multiverse theory regarding anything related to live action.

    Also that "CBS owns 50% of the CW and the other 50% is owned by Time Warner" reason make me laugh because nobody mention who owns the other 50%. Maybe the other 50% is just not interested in crossovers between networks ? Some people need to consider this possibility to not end up disappointed.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 01-02-2015 at 06:25 PM.

  2. #122
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMC005 View Post
    You make me laugh. Thank you.
    Oh, believe me, your post more than returned the favor for me.


    To kind of put what you said into perspective I think that you "Denying your viewership" if superman is not recognized in the show is fine but to say that the shows popularity might be negative effected by this would be insane because comic book readers are only a small percentage (most likely less than 1%) of viewers so I dont think they are going to take this into consideration when making determinations like this.
    Reading comprehension, Holmes: Nowhere in my post did I mention "comic book readers". I mentioned "Superman-first fans". Do you know who they are? Anyone who is a fan of Superman for any reason, through any media.

    That means anyone who likes Superman due to: the Christopher Reeve movies, the Brandon Routh movie, the Henry Cavill movie, the SuperFriends cartoons, the Superboy tv show, the Lois & Clark tv show, the Smallville tv show, the S:TAS and Justice League cartoons, the George Reeves Adventures of Superman tv show, the Ruby-Spears Superman cartoon, the Filmation Superman/Superboy cartoons, the Bob Holiday Superman musical, the Fleischer cartoons, etc.

    Many of these Superman-first fans have never or rarely picked up a comic book in their life. They completely outnumber your "comic book readers" by a ridiculous margin. They potentially number in the tens of millions in America alone. Even a fraction of that = ratings lifeblood for a network tv show. So, yes, CBS will take their massive, casual fanhood into consideration.


    And in terms of "Origins being change" Have you not been watching Flash and Arrow? Origins have been changed to make the transition to Television easier and more viewer enticing and to go along with today's relevant events.
    Completely different scenario that does not match what I was saying at all. The equivalent would be if they gave Barry Allen's origin to a tv version of Jesse Quick and then said Barry doesn't exist. The Flash fans would riot and the show would have really bad p.r. and a trumpeted loss of "credibility" before the Jesse Quick pilot would ever air. Don't believe early bad press can kill a pilot? See 2011's Wonder Woman fiasco. The bad p.r. that project got early on absolutely played a role in its abortion.


    Also CBS owns 50% of the CW and the other 50% is owned by Time Warner who... Wouldn't you know it... Owns DC... so I dont see them standing in the way of tie-overs between networks to connect stories and create continuity. ALSO wouldnt you know it... Time Warner owns TNT who is going to be creating a for TV Titans series... so I can see Kara showing up there too..
    The CW won't be the network standing in the way of a cross-over. It will be CBS that wants no part of it. Time-Warner has no authority over CBS, at all, and needs their cooperation for the SUPERGIRL show to succeed. If CBS doesn't want to mix their show with others, Time-Warner will honor that request.


    If you connect the dots Time Warner and CBS are creating a real Television DC Universe between their subsidiaries. So back to the original argument, Superman most likely will be referenced so I dont know what the big deal is here... I agree that if he wasnt it would be kind of silly but in the grand scheme of things for the Budding Television Universe I dont see it being a huge deal as some people are making it out to be. Phase 1: Arrow and Flash... Phase 2: Supergirl, A.T.O.M, Fire Storm... Phase 3: Titans. Watch it unfold and enjoy.
    Keep dreaming. Atom and Firestorm aren't getting their own solo tv shows, now or anytime in the foreseeable future. They will merely serve as competent beta players to Green Arrow and the Flash, respectively.

    Back to these rumors of Gemma Atkinson:



    I keep seeing Power Girl. And I'm not complaining. At all.

  3. #123
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Wow, Gemma is really a pretty young lady. Definitely see the Kara/Power Girl combination. If picked, I could see this work out.

  4. #124
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Reading comprehension, Holmes: Nowhere in my post did I mention "comic book readers". I mentioned "Superman-first fans". Do you know who they are? Anyone who is a fan of Superman for any reason, through any media.

    That means anyone who likes Superman due to: the Christopher Reeve movies, the Brandon Routh movie, the Henry Cavill movie, the SuperFriends cartoons, the Superboy tv show, the Lois & Clark tv show, the Smallville tv show, the S:TAS and Justice League cartoons, the George Reeves Adventures of Superman tv show, the Ruby-Spears Superman cartoon, the Filmation Superman/Superboy cartoons, the Bob Holiday Superman musical, the Fleischer cartoons, etc.

    Many of these Superman-first fans have never or rarely picked up a comic book in their life. They completely outnumber your "comic book readers" by a ridiculous margin. They potentially number in the tens of millions in America alone. Even a fraction of that = ratings lifeblood for a network tv show. So, yes, CBS will take their massive, casual fanhood into consideration.

    *snip*
    Don't believe early bad press can kill a pilot? See 2011's Wonder Woman fiasco. The bad p.r. that project got early on absolutely played a role in its abortion.
    I've said this earlier in the thread - this show will live or die on how it handles it's star and the supporting cast. Not the character who she shares a powerset and branding with. And if they DO have him in it, it can't be that often or her central role will be undermined and that would also kill the show.

    Although I'm sure the existing brand recognition of Superman is a factor, I don't believe that most Superman fans would be as petty as you are suggesting and just not watch it simply if he's not in it, because it's not ABOUT him and his name isn't in the title. It's success will be down to how they handle Kara! Which leads me on to your point about Wonder Woman there, because it supports my point - Wonder Woman was being questioned even from the script alone because it was clear that the showrunner had no idea how to handle Wonder Woman, and the pilot that got screened for critics only vindicated that scepticism. Supergirl's situation will be comparable to that one if the script comes out and it's got scenes of her talking to her cat, torturing criminals and repeatedly breaking the law, not because of how major or minor a role Superman has.

    Superman has had enough damn movies and TV already without us worrying about him here. How about we talk about what we'd like to see for Kara herself in this show, not Clark?

    Seeing as Kara's going to have an adoptive sister in this, I hope their relationship is going to be more supportive than it is combative, because there's honestly not a lot of sisterhood in this daddy-issues obsessed genre. I also hope that Cat Grant is a good character in this too. Quite importantly, I hope that Kara as a civilian is as interesting if not more so than Supergirl is - that's why Lois & Clark was so great, given that Superman in costume tended not to appear for more than about 10% of the screentime.

  5. #125
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I've said this earlier in the thread - this show will live or die on how it handles it's star and the supporting cast.
    Because no tv show that was well-written and acted has ever met an undeserved early demise, right? Not exactly. This show will live or die on whether or not it builds a consistently big enough audience. I refer you to FIREFLY vs THE BIG BANG THEORY.


    Not the character who she shares a powerset and branding with.
    You mean the character to which she OWES a powerset and branding and motif and origin AND supporting characters (Jimmy Olsen and Cat Grant belong to Superman, not Supergirl)? The one with enormously larger fan base? That guy? Yeah, ok. He won't be a factor at all [/sarcasm].


    And if they DO have him in it, it can't be that often or her central role will be undermined and that would also kill the show.
    Pretty much said the same thing: Use Clark Kent as opposed to a costumed Superman, as a recurring guest star: just have him drop in once a season or so for support and advice (and occasionally as a plot point) and then send him on his way back to Metropolis.


    Although I'm sure the existing brand recognition of Superman is a factor, I don't believe that most Superman fans would be as petty as you are suggesting and just not watch it simply if he's not in it, because it's not ABOUT him and his name isn't in the title.
    The existing brand recognition of Superman is a huge factor and a major reason there's going to be a show in the first place. Superman fans will likely tune in for the pilot episode, but on the revelation that there is no Kal-El anywhere and never will be on this show (i.e. died on Krypton), I'd wager a lot of them would simply not tune in for the second episode. And I think CBS is aware of that possibility. And her name being in the title means little when it's so derivative and requires HIS emblem.

    That's the problem with all these derivative "sidekick"-type heroes (Batgirl, Supergirl, Wondergirl, Superboy, Robin, Kid Flash, Arsenal, etc): You can't do a solo project (TV/movie/animation/video game) on any of them without bringing in their respective and more popular mentors in some tangible manner without feeling dishonest.

    If CBS wanted a truly "independent woman" superhero show, they should have gone with Vixen or Zatanna (technically a derivative of Zatara, but she is far more popular than her father ever was) or a Fire & Ice show. But they wanted a piece of the Superverse and all the goodies that comes with it, including HIS rogues gallery (Hank Henshaw: also one of SuperMAN's rogues).


    It's success will be down to how they handle Kara!
    NO. It's success will be down to whether they find an dependable audience for this show. Well-written/acted shows get cancelled all the time. Well-watched shows don't.


    Which leads me on to your point about Wonder Woman there, because it supports my point - Wonder Woman was being questioned even from the script alone because it was clear that the showrunner had no idea how to handle Wonder Woman, and the pilot that got screened for critics only vindicated that scepticism. Supergirl's situation will be comparable to that one if the script comes out and it's got scenes of her talking to her cat, torturing criminals and repeatedly breaking the law, not because of how major or minor a role Superman has.
    Superman's role doesn't have to be major (in fact, I'd prefer it was closer to minor), but he does have to be accounted for on the show. My point was that Wonder Woman's fanbase was large enough and strong enough to help raise a racket about the pilot's flaws. They played a big role in the negative p.r. that 2011 Wonder Woman tv show got.


    Superman has had enough damn movies and TV already without us worrying about him here.
    That's completely your own opinion and not at all objective. There is no Supergirl without Superman. That's never changing. THAT's a fact.


    How about we talk about what we'd like to see for Kara herself in this show, not Clark?
    Fine. I'm hoping that since this show already has Kara in her mid-20s, way older than the mainstream comic-book version has ever been, I really hope what we're really getting is a POWER GIRL tv show in everything but costume and name.


    Seeing as Kara's going to have an adoptive sister in this, I hope their relationship is going to be more supportive than it is combative, because there's honestly not a lot of sisterhood in this daddy-issues obsessed genre. I also hope that Cat Grant is a good character in this too.
    Seem unlikely. The Alexandra Danvers character decription reads like an amalgamation of Alexandra Luthor (of SUPERMAN:EARTH-ONE) and Lena Thorul (Lex Luthor's secret sister). I can predict a vibe similar to the one between SMALLVILLE's Clark and Luthor. Cat Grant's character description reads kinda like the boss on UGLY BETTY played by Vanessa Williams.


    Quite importantly, I hope that Kara as a civilian is as interesting if not more so than Supergirl is - that's why Lois & Clark was so great, given that Superman in costume tended not to appear for more than about 10% of the screentime.
    Seems unlikely. LOIS & CLARK was Kal-El's 3rd solo live-action tv show (after ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN in the '50s and SUPERBOY in the '80s) and the whole pitch revolved around the then-unexplored aspect of Clark Kent as the real persona of Superman. That's why it wasn't called SUPERMAN. This show is called SUPERGIRL. It's her first solo live-action show. I'd be surprised if they don't spend a LOT of time with Kara in costume ... way more than 10%. Hopefully closer to 50%.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 01-03-2015 at 08:46 PM.

  6. #126
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'd be surprised if they don't spend a LOT of time with Kara in costume ... way more than 10%. Hopefully closer to 50%.
    Oh, I hope so too, just saying they can't neglect Kara's civilian ID either. I wonder how they're going to play this - like The Flash does where it's clear than Barry Allen is The Flash, he just puts a costume on, or more like Superman himself, where one persona is more of an act and the other closer to the real person?

    And regarding the sister's relationship, even if some of the text of the casting call suggests a female Lex Luthor analogue, that does not preclude the existence of genuine familial feelings there. I'd like to see it because it's so damn rare in the superhero genre for supportive female relationships to be shown at all. It would be a huge missed opportunity if this show drove a wedge between them immediately given that it's the first superhero TV show led by a woman in some considerable time. For the same reason I hope there are a decent number of other female recurring characters.

  7. #127
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Not to be snarky, but I'm sure that Kara as Supergirl will be in the show a lot since the show is called Supergirl. You see Arrow and Flash in their costumes a lot in their shows and the same guy is producing.

  8. #128
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,887

    Default

    Greg Berlanti has stated, in an interview I think, that when he goes into making a Superhero TV show he does it with the intention of giving those shows the same feel as one might get from reading the comics. And that includes seeing plenty of the Superhero in costume, and I'm not expecting Supergirl to be an exception .

  9. #129
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,839

    Default

    So will Superman be involved at all with this show? Or will they be merging Superman & Kara into one. And the actress is beautiful. I really hope they don't bring the Red Lantern stuff into the show, it wasn't my cup of OJ.
    Last edited by Starchild; 01-04-2015 at 09:11 PM.

  10. #130
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    So will Superman be involved at all with this show? Or will they be merging Superman & Kara into one. And the actress is beautiful. I really hope they don't bring the Red Lantern stuff into the show, it wasn't my cup of OJ.
    While I'd love to see Green Lantern in the DCTVU (not that it seems feasible to do or that Supergirl is even in that continuity), I doubt the Red Lanterns will be a factor in Kara's new series especially in the first season at least .

    I think, for all intents and purposes, Supergirl will be the only Kryptonian Superhero in Metropolis for the sake of her narrative and series. Which I expect will lead to a lot of Clark's Rogues being used as villains for her, and I recall a casting call for Hank Henshaw...

  11. #131
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Greg Berlanti has stated, in an interview I think, that when he goes into making a Superhero TV show he does it with the intention of giving those shows the same feel as one might get from reading the comics. And that includes seeing plenty of the Superhero in costume, and I'm not expecting Supergirl to be an exception .
    They seem to have got that right in the case of The Flash, so I hope it carries over to Supergirl too. And the effects work on both CW shows is pretty damn good. Flash's action scenes are handled very well in terms of how long they last (they never overstay their welcome) and how they integrate the live-action and CGI while keeping to a TV budget, so if they bring that level of quality to Supergirl the action scenes should be great.

  12. #132
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think, for all intents and purposes, Supergirl will be the only Kryptonian Superhero in Metropolis for the sake of her narrative and series. Which I expect will lead to a lot of Clark's Rogues being used as villains for her, and I recall a casting call for Hank Henshaw...
    I don't know about that.

    Here's a CBS direct quote promoting their developing SUPERGIRL tv show:

    "Based on the DC Comics character, the drama tells the story of Kara Zor-El, who was born on the planet Krypton, but escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin Superman. But now, at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be."

    And here's a direct quote from CBS regarding the casting the lead for their SUPERGIRL tv show:

    "For Kara Zor-El aka Kara Danvers, the show is eyeing Caucasian females, age 22 to 26, to play 24. As the series’ mythology goes, Kara at age 12 was sent from her dying home planet of Krypton to Earth, where she was taken in by the Danvers, a foster family who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers. After repressing said skills for more than a decade, Kara is forced to bust out her super moves in public during an unexpected disaster. Energized by her heroism for the first time in her life, she begins embracing her abilities in the name of helping the people of her city, earning herself a super moniker along the way."

    The bolded parts are mine.

    In the first quote, CBS is directly referencing Superman as "her famous cousin". It's seems unlikely that Superman won't exist on the show (in some form) if he's already one of the marketing points.

    In the second quote, it's what CBS does NOT directly reference that is telling: there's no mention of Metropolis at all. If the show was going to take place in Metropolis, CBS would have been flaunting the city's name loud and clear, not being vague about "her city". I won't be surprised if the show takes place in Midvale, Supergirl's traditional hometown.

    The quotes can be found here: http://screencrush.com/cbs-supergirl...n-kara-zor-el/
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 01-05-2015 at 02:26 PM.

  13. #133
    Veteran Member MikeMC005's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    I am less interested in the story behind the show (though it is important) than I am in the cast they decide on. A good cast can build a great story but a good story cant save a bad cast. Its very important that they get the right people for the main cast.

  14. #134
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,317

    Default

    Very interesting roundtable discussion by The Hollywood Reporter.

    2/3rds of the way through the discussion, it's briefly revealed that showrunner Greg Berlanti's contract with CBS allows for their SUPERGIRL to crossover with the CW's ARROW. But it doesn't go more than a sentence or two.

    This doesn't tell me that SUPERGIRL is set on Earth-CW with ARROW and THE FLASH, only that CBS is open to the idea of a crossover episode somewhere down the line. Because otherwise they'd be making a huge deal about a 3rd connected show. They're not. I think tv's Earth-CW and Earth-CBS will be kinda like comics' Earth-1 and Earth-2: occasional crossovers (maybe once or twice total), but otherwise separate universes.

  15. #135
    Veteran Member MikeMC005's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Very interesting roundtable discussion by The Hollywood Reporter.

    2/3rds of the way through the discussion, it's briefly revealed that showrunner Greg Berlanti's contract with CBS allows for their SUPERGIRL to crossover with the CW's ARROW. But it doesn't go more than a sentence or two.

    This doesn't tell me that SUPERGIRL is set on Earth-CW with ARROW and THE FLASH, only that CBS is open to the idea of a crossover episode somewhere down the line. Because otherwise they'd be making a huge deal about a 3rd connected show. They're not. I think tv's Earth-CW and Earth-CBS will be kinda like comics' Earth-1 and Earth-2: occasional crossovers (maybe once or twice total), but otherwise separate universes.
    I think they are the same universe and will reference each other quite often like Felicity does with Barry all the time during season 2 when he was in a coma.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •