Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Different reviewers, different standards, no accounting for taste and all that. I get the feeling that reviewer was kind of reserved with handing out the perfect scores (which is reasonable) whereas this guy might be a little looser (which is also okay). Not a grand statement, just a little "hey, this is weird, shows how inexact this whole process can be".

...but yeah, totally, on every level.
    Exactly though. A review is simply a published opinion. There's nothing which says one review/opinion is more valid than another.

Personally, I detested All-Star Superman but not because of the story. I loved the story but the art never sat well with me because I can't stand Quitely. Comics being a merging of visual and written mediums need both to appeal to the reader so if one doesn't work then it can ruin the entire experience for a person. For me, Jim Lee's art overwhelms any minor flaws in the story and makes me feel more attached to Unchained than All-Star because of it.

I almost get the impression that Snyder can do no wrong as far as official CBR reviews are concerned. But hey, we're all entitled to our opinions, unless this were a video game site, in which case reviews are regularly bought off.

Although the story was obviously no All-Star Superman, I still think I'm gonna buy the hardcover for my bookshelf. It's probably been my favorite Super-story of the New 52, given that I wasn't crazy about Doomed. But that's just my opinion.

It's been very good ... but not without one or two minor flaws

ie the art would've worked better if Jim Lee had completed it all ... and I think that fold-out page in the first issue was unnecessary ... and those brief moments when Lois refers to Clark as 'Smallville' ... that's too much like the pre-existing universe IMO

(this is just nit-picking, I realise, but if these errors had been rectified IMO 'Unchained' would probably be close to perfect)

Judging by just the responses that support this statement and ignoring all others, a series that has consistently outshined the other Superman titles during its run."
    Fixed, CBR.

It always felt like this was more of a creative team show piece they threw together for the Superman 75h Anniversary rather than a good stand alone Superman story. It did lose a lot of momentum and you sort of wonder how this series will be remembered down the road. If a lesser creative team told this same story then it probably would have just gotten slightly above average ratings, but in a market where creative teams carry SO much weight you can't really fault people rating things higher because certain creators are attached.
    Last edited by Badou; 11-05-2014 at 07:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Fixed, CBR.

c'mon unchained just did what my soccer team did today just top quality
    Last edited by Blacksun; 11-05-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default Way better than All Star, for my money.

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    Although the story was obviously no All-Star Superman, I still think I'm gonna buy the hardcover for my bookshelf. It's probably been my favorite Super-story of the New 52, given that I wasn't crazy about Doomed. But that's just my opinion.
    Yeah, it was WAY better than All Star!!!

Forget "For Tomorrow". This is Jim Lee's best Superman story. I hope he and Scott Snyder get a chance to do another story arc again in the future.

One thing that would have made it better *spoilers* if there was a little more exposition as to why Wraith decided to/was able to show up at the end. But, that just gives us something to speculate about here. I understand why Snyder didn't say anything ahead of time, it would have tipped his hand. But maybe a little epilogue or something...

I enjoyed the whole thing! Looking forward to reading it again.

Extraordinary Member

Actually I kinda expected Wraith to come in at the end. He had a begrudging respect for Superman even though they had different philosophies they were alot alike too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post

Forget "For Tomorrow". This is Jim Lee's best Superman story. I hope he and Scott Snyder get a chance to do another story arc again in the future.
    Lee have to start working right now to deliver it on time

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post

One thing that would have made it better *spoilers* if there was a little more exposition as to why Wraith decided to/was able to show up at the end. But, that just gives us something to speculate about here. I understand why Snyder didn't say anything ahead of time, it would have tipped his hand. But maybe a little epilogue or something...

I enjoyed the whole thing! Looking forward to reading it again.
    Well, I like All-Star Superman better than Unchained IMO but I definitely agree that it's the better of the 2 Jim Lee Superman stories! Definitely a re-read-worthy book!

Amazing Member

Why did Wraith kill his own people? Couldn't he have said ok guys let's turn around and go home?

Completely agree with this review. Despite the delays, Superman Unchained has been one of the most thorough, complete Superman stories since All-Star Superman. It hits all the right notes, challenging Superman in a novel way and highlighting all his greatest strengths. This issue did everything it needed to do to complete the story. It didn't have any crazy twists. It didn't try to reinvent Superman in any radical way. It just stuck to the basics and did so extremely well. While it probably won't reveal anything that readers don't already know about Superman, it nicely shows why he's one of the greatest heroes of all time. Very happy with this. Was definitely worth the wait.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

LumbreMcAllen

I just finished Unchained #9 last night - I think it was a fitting end and a nice way to sum up who Superman is. Although I have to say, I have grown a bit weary of the whole "morality" thing with Superman. It seems his battles, no matter the books in the New 52, are always more internal than external. But, I guess that's his whole mystique now - is he or isn't he worthy? The story as a whole is a good one, but the length of time it took to get complete lessens the overall effect. Going back and rereading for the full effect is necessary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It always felt like this was more of a creative team show piece they threw together for the Superman 75h Anniversary rather than a good stand alone Superman story. It did lose a lot of momentum and you sort of wonder how this series will be remembered down the road. If a lesser creative team told this same story then it probably would have just gotten slightly above average ratings, but in a market where creative teams carry SO much weight you can't really fault people rating things higher because certain creators are attached.
    I think this is the first time we've ever agreed entirely on something. Besides your avatar (Askeladd ).