All-New Member

Default Axis and Avengers/ New Avengers

I'm stuck.

I've been reading the Avengers series since its relaunch in 2012 and have enjoyed the events so far and am looking forward to its conclusion in the 8 months time runs out storyline, however I'm confused where axis falls into all this. I was browsing comics a few weeks back and bought axis #1 and started to read it and thought why is Steve Rodgers working with Tony again? I thought he was on his hit list before they jumped 8 months ahead. Has everyone forgotten the fact that worlds are colliding?

I then thought ok so the cabal are off stopping the incursions so that means it frees the illuminati and avengers up to do there own thing for abit. But the wholes things got me way confused.

Can anyone please explain what the hell is happening?

Incredible Member

It really doesn't add up. Marvel is apparently having continuity issues. Try not to think too hard about it and enjoy the story as it commences. That's the best I can tell you. Just know Axis comes before Times Run Out.

Fantastic Member

you have to remember that Avengers/New Avengers is now running several months ahead of the Marvel Universe and should hopefully be in sync when time runs out (April, IIRC)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    you have to remember that Avengers/New Avengers is now running several months ahead of the Marvel Universe and should hopefully be in sync when time runs out (April, IIRC)
    Yea I got that, it's just the stuff that happened before the time jump doesn't make sense for axis. It's like they're set in 2 different worlds. I'de be fine if it was set on another Earth but it's not. I've read that the aftermath of axis is going to mean big changes to the current line up and I don't want to miss out. I suppose I could go back and read the build up to axis etc but I might just carry on with Avengers and New Avengers. It's just daft how we are all behind Steve as cap to take on the illuminati for like a mini civil war which then fizzle out and he's now lost his power because of a different storyline.
    They should bring back the index they had for infinity to make things a bit easier for people who can't afford to buy every comic for each character.

Extraordinary Member

Hickman and Remender aren't really interested in each other's continuity and Marvel isn't forcing them to coordinate (even though they have the same editor). Uncanny Avengers didn't tie in with Infinity, and Hickman isn't tying in with Axis. As others have said, they're almost writing completely different Avengers books with separate continuities. When these stories end, they'll synch up a little more, but they'll never completely synch up, just as it's still very hard to figure out where Uncanny Avengers fit into what was going on in Avengers at the same time. Marvel decided a while ago that they would not try to maintain tight continuity between their team books.

BANNED

I think Hickman was given cliff notes and not the story on Axis in detail, but I'm sure as the coming issues follow up it'll be clarified.

Same thing happened on the recent final issues of Cap's solo book, where Steve is already an old man thanks to the Iron Nail and when Zola invaded Manhattan he and Tony were on good terms. Which doesnt make a lot of sense since Steve cleary remembered about the Illuminati's actions early on in Original Sin, which clearly happened before the super soldier serum was extracted - so one would expect at least some amount of animosity between them.

But then again, Marvel doesn't care about such details. Brevoort shrugged it off with a really thin explanation recently.

All-New Member

Yea I guess I need to brush it off a bit and wait and see how it all pans out! The Brevoort article helped abit. I prefer Hickmans storyline so far but I'm going to give axis ago just to keep up to date with going ons. I really enjoyed the original sin story where we saw Groot, thought that was ace!

Marvel editors don't care much for continuity anymore. I wouldn't think too hard about it.