Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Image Comic of the Week Nov 5/14 - Chew #44, Tooth and Claw #1, God Hates Astronauts #3

Last Week's Winner

Holy smokes! Saga is definitely not losing any momentum at all. Last week's issue 24 picked up a record 18 votes, the most ever for any Image title this year. It appears Saga is picking up some new readers who's jumped aboard the train, all the better I say. Let's get Saga to sell 100K copies.

So normally the first two weeks of the month for Image is notoriously slow. However this week Image has gone crazy and has released 25(!) titles today including 4 new series. There will be no poll today as CBR's poll only allows for 15 options. I'm not leaving 10 titles out of the poll this week as there are a lot of great titles released today. So let our readers know what you love and what they should be picking up this week. Also give the creators some love as we know they're reading these forums.

The big story this week is Chew #44. This issue promises to be a game changer and will be the most talked about issue of Chew in years. Lot's of hype going into this one. If you read it already please don't post any spoilers here please, lots of people picking this one up in trade. Also there are 4 new Image titles today. Kurt Busiek and Ben Dewey's long awaited Tooth and Claw #1 is out. A giant double sized 48 page monster for just $2.99, it's beautiful. Also out is the Humans #1, and miniseries Penny Dora and the Wishing Box #1, and the weekly American Legends #1.

Image Releases This Week

68 HOMEFRONT #3
    AMERICAN LEGENDS #1
    ARTIFACTS #40
    BIRTHRIGHT #2
    CHEW #44
    FUSE #7
    GOD HATES ASTRONAUTS #3
    HACK SLASH SON OF SAMHAIN #5
    HUMANS #1
    IMPERIAL #4
    LIL DEPRESSED BOY SUPPOSED TO BE THERE TOO #2
    MADAME FRANKENSTEIN #7
    MERCENARY SEA #7
    NAILBITER #7
    NIGHTWORLD #4
    PENNY DORA & THE WISHING BOX #1
    PUNKS THE COMIC #2
    REAL HEROES #4
    SPAWN #248
    SPREAD #4
    SUPERANNUATED MAN #4
    TECH JACKET #5
    TEN GRAND #11
    TOOTH & CLAW #1
    VELVET #8

Highly Recommended Chew #44

Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

HUMANS. Definitely.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Not a bad week to start of November for Image Comics and all of the Indies (though I didn't read The Evil Within #2 this time). Here's how my list looked from best to worst:

Chew #44
    Velvet #8
    Birthright #2
    Terrible Lizard #1
    Penny Dora and the Wishing Box #1

Best book hands down was Chew #44. Just... wow! This will certainly have fans talking.

Is there a poll up that I can't see or is it just not up yet? No matter.

The Mercenary Sea #7 gets my vote. Thanks to the few posters on here who shed light on that book for me. So good.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post

The Mercenary Sea #7 gets my vote. Thanks to the few posters on here who shed light on that book for me. So good.
    No poll this week, I couldn't fit 25 titles in the poll and didn't want to leave out so many titles as it only allows max 15.

Speaking of Mercenary Sea, I might have to revisit this title. I remember being so excited for it when it was first solicited. This should be a series that I would absolutely love. I read the first issue and was pretty disappointed with it as nothing much happened and dropped it. However it seemed to be universally loved by our readers here and they have been on point. I'll give this another shot as I really want to like this.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

God Hates Astronauts gets my automatic vote. If you aren't reading it yet, you're doing comics wrong.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    No poll this week, I couldn't fit 25 titles in the poll and didn't want to leave out so many titles as it only allows max 15.

Speaking of Mercenary Sea, I might have to revisit this title. I remember being so excited for it when it was first solicited. This should be a series that I would absolutely love. I read the first issue and was pretty disappointed with it as nothing much happened and dropped it. However it seemed to be universally loved by our readers here and they have been on point. I'll give this another shot as I really want to like this.
    Ah ok, that makes sense.

I picked up the first arc last week and really enjoyed it. The art is something you don't really see anywhere else in comics and it feels like a combination of Firefly and Uncharted to me. Two really good things.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post

Glad you picked it up and are enjoying it! I didn't have a chance to read issue 7 last night, but am eagerly anticipating it tonight!

Tooth and Claw #1 took it for me. From the writing down to the lettering, the creative team just hit a home run on every level. I have a feeling I'll be buying this in singles and in trade.

Chew #44 was great, but the book is often so over the top that I think a little of the impact due that amazing fight scene was lost. Close runner-up, though, and quality as always.

Birthright is still right on the edge of being dropped. I feel like the reveal from last issue doesn't work nearly as well as a tension-building element as it's meant to. It's a mega-spoiler for the flashback elements, and doesn't work well as a threat in the present because, outside of some basic human empathy for the family's plight, I just don't like most of the characters. If this book was any more expensive, I'd probably have dropped it this issue, but it's just cheap enough to keep up with.