Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sewersaint View Post
    I've had to think about whether or not I should make a comment or not.
    I decided not to respond to the article itself, it is misguided at best and I will withhold my real feeling about it. As you point out, the article is so full of flaws it is not worth the time.

I love all of these characters.

Carol is Captain Marvel
    Kamala is Ms Marvel
    Billy is Shazam

THE END.

I really don't like the imputation of casual misogyny to anyone who still prefers to call Billy Batson's alter ego "Captain Marvel," rather than "Shazam." For me at least, that's a completely separate issue from calling Carol Danvers "Captain Marvel."

Shazam is a bad name that doesn't fit the existing naming pattern of the Marvel family. I'd have preferred Captain Thunder.

As for Carol as Captain Marvel, I have no problems with her using the codename that I didn't have with Mar-Vell. I think it's a good name, I think she's a worthy character to bear it (as was Monica Rambeau), but I simply don't associate the name with Marvel comics. After forty-odd years of trying Marvel still hasn't been able to claim that name in the public eye.

If you do a search for Captain Marvel on IMDB, Billy Batson comes up first, Carol comes up around 105th place and that's as Ms. Marvel.

I still call her Captain Marvel, that's what it says on the book and that's how its filed in my collection, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't believe the name belongs at Marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    If you do a search for Captain Marvel on IMDB, Billy Batson comes up first, Carol comes up around 105th place and that's as Ms. Marvel.
    Well, the answer to that is because Billy Baston as Captain Marvel has already appeared in movies and series over the decades, as far back as the 40s and 50s and 70s and beyond.

Even the pre-52 media was calling him that at the time, such as in Mortal Kombat vs. DC.

But the whole thing changed with the last several years. Even with that title, people were still often and frequently calling him "Shazam" and DC agreed. He's now "Shazam" in the following media (including Injustice, by the same people who put him in MK vs. DC).

Carol, however, has not yet established herself in mainstream media outside of comics as Captain Marvel, either in animation, TV, or movies. That is about to change and to change quickly. I will very much wager that, once the movie comes out, Carol Danvers and not Billy Batson will be the one to come up first.

As stated before, Carol may not have had the title first, but she's about to become the one that people know of best, like Nightwing, the Human Torch, and Batwoman before her. Even Hal Jordan's Green Lantern is vastly more well known that the original Alan Scott incarnation.

This change was a LONG time coming, and it's going to be fascinating seeing things change on a large scale. After all, it was the movies that turned characters like Falcon, Rocket Raccoon, Drax, Loki, and Groot into household names. Captain Marvel's going to make similar waves.

I always thought that Warbird was Carol Danvers' best superhero name. Gender-neutral, does not have that controversial word "Marvel" as part of the name, and sounds very cool. But, hey, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I agree with this 200%. Between this article and the previous article attacking folks who would rather have a Black Widow movie as "Troll Face Haters," Brett White hasn't done himself any favors, and single handedly killed what little interest I had in a Carole Danvers movie.
    I do not understand why we cannot have a Black Widow movie and a Captain Marvel movie. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    It's also an easier transition for his supporting cast (Mary Thunder, Captain Thunder Jr., The Thunder Family, ect.). Shazam's a cool word, but a bad name.
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. What exactly are Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Junior called by DC now? Mary Shazam and Shazam Junior?

My preference will always be to call the character "Captain Marvel". I will admit, however, that Captain Thunder is better than Shazam any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BH123 View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. What exactly are Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Junior called by DC now? Mary Shazam and Shazam Junior?
    I'm as confused as you are.

Listen, fans made 'Spider-Gwen' a thing, so let's all just agree to to call him 'Captain Thunder' and maybe DC will eventually follow suit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I decided not to respond to the article itself, it is misguided at best and I will withhold my real feeling about it. As you point out, the article is so full of flaws it is not worth the time.
    True. This is pandering to feel relevant. I had an issue with a Storm article in the past with him stating it could help people contemplating suicide and help with racial tensions if they would basically just read and believe. I had a reaction to it for personal reasons but was destroyed by members of the SAT whom infect and thread with her name. He gained a lot of friends that day and has since been getting worse and worse. That was the article that made me have most likely a permanent negative feeling to this joker. It was juvenile, dumb, and dangerous the way the article was written.
    Like I stated, he has to know someone.
    Last edited by Daymare; 11-06-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Elliot

Yikes. Defending the right of Carol Danvers to be called Captain Marvel is all well and good, but this article goes well beyond that down some deeply problematic paths. Copyright law is not an excuse to demand that longtime fans of Billy Batson are forbidden to call him the same name he's always had. Billy is Captain Marvel, to nearly all his fans, and it's oddly childlike of the author to demand that no one but his favorite is allowed to be called Captain Marvel, and to then resort to insisting that fans of Billy Batson hate women. That's a troubling view of a non-issue. Two characters - who aren't even from the same company - can have the same name. It doesn't diminish either of them to share.

While this article has had an adverse effect on how the author is perceived as a comic book fan (sorry), I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt here. He's clear at the start of the article that this has become an emotional subject, and I don't doubt there were some trolls out there who provoked this. There's a well-intended core to this article about what the Captain Marvel name means to Carol and her fans. It's just unfortunate that it was derailed into an us-versus-them zero-sum game. This is one case where sleeping on it would've been for the best.

I think you're missing the point though. YES, it's well good that the Billy Batson fans defend the original usage of the name. But sometimes they're not any better when those same people insult Carol's usage of it.

Spectacular Member

Well I really loved Ms. Marvel ever since she joined the Avengers. I loved Captain Marvel ever since the Earth-S heroes crossed over with the Justice League and Justice Society. I have hated everything they have done to these characters.

Ms. Marvel fell in love with her son. She returned and lost her powers. She got new powers and became Binary. Rejoined the Avengers and took the name Warbird, and was turned into an alcoholic. Changing her name to Captain Marvel and giving the name Ms. Marvel to someone else just seems off.

And Captain Marvel I, he was so cool before Crisis. He has one of the best rogue's gallery in comics. But then when DC merged all the earths together (because people weren't buying DC comics because something like multiple dimensions confused them) Cap became redundant to Superman. It seems like the only good moments he's has since was when he's fighting Superman. I think officially changing his name to Shazam is dumb. I can see doing something to get out of the Marvel thing (maybe have a contest/vote to come up with a completely new name (Captain Thunder doesn't work for me)).

Amazing Member

Just out of curiosity, has it been confirmed that the Captain Marvel movie will star a woman Captain Marvel, and not the Kree guy?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by soundskinky View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has it been confirmed that the Captain Marvel movie will star a woman Captain Marvel, and not the Kree guy?
    Yes, Carol Danvers is the Captain Marvel in Marvel Studio's announced list of future movies.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES