Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Tooth & Claw, #1

"Tooth & Claw" #1 from writer Kurt Busiek and artist Benjamin Dewey, with colors from Jordie Bellaire and letters from Comicraft delivers a clinic on how to introduce a new universe filled with stunning characters.

Full review here.

5 star rating! Nice, can't wait to read it.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I fully intend on picking this up, I love everything Mr. Busiek puts out. Plus, I've been looking for a new Image title to hop onto and this may be the perfect chance to do just that!

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

It was a very good comic, but more in the 4-4.5 range. All in all, a great introduction with a lot of interesting worldbuilding, but it falls a little short of perfection in my book. Can't wait for the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    It was a very good comic, but more in the 4-4.5 range. All in all, a great introduction with a lot of interesting worldbuilding, but it falls a little short of perfection in my book. Can't wait for the next issue.
    I agree. I gave it a 9.5 out of 10. It was a little...slow in its execution. Still, a very good book indeed.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

I really enjoyed it. Such a good value, too. Can't wait for issue 2.

I haven't read this yet, but i've been looking forward to it for a while, glad to see people are enjoying it.

Absolutely gorgeous comic with solid world building. I can't wait for the next issue.

All-New Member

Trust me, I'm a hard-core comic book reader.

If any other comic book first couple pages doesn't appeal me, I would toss it over my shoulder.

And my response to this very recent released, Tooth & Claw, #1

This, a 44-page, no-ad for a mere $2.99 is, without a doubt, a simply gorgeous, period!

I highly recommend it for all age, all gender, all human, all robots, all aliens, all wizards and, oh hell yeah, all animals!

5-Stars? Silly, it is a 6-Stars!

All-New Member

I dunno if I'd give it five stars either, probably 4 to 4.5 but I do understand why they took 40+ pages. This book has an ambitious premise that does a lot of world-building in its debut. I think for this kind of read, that's necessary. Does it make it seem a little slow out of the gate? Yeah, maybe a little. But the longterm reward is definitely there, and with a ton of exposition out of the way, I think there's a great chance for it to pick up with issue 2 and so on.

Great artwork. I can't say much else except that this was the first thing that drew me in when I received the I is for image promo from SDCC. I'm in for the first arc on the artwork alone.

I picked this up yesterday after looking at preview panels and seeing the gorgeous art, reading the plot synopsis (I'm a sucker for sprawling fantasies), seeing the Image logo associated with it, and because it's only $2.99 with 48 ad-free pages. How could you possibly go wrong?

I have to say, this is honestly one of the best comics I've picked up. Every single panel-- and I mean that, literally, every single panel-- had flawless, gorgeous art with mind-blowing detail packed in, and the coloring and inking is phenomenal. I can safely say this book has some of the best art I've ever seen.

Aside from that, there's a vast world that has been established and intriguing characters with all of the classically charming fantasy elements you'd expect to find, expertly executed.

Well-deserving of the 5-star rating. Kudos. Ku. Dos.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Amazing first issue. Probably the best first issue since Saga. Definite 5 Stars. Honestly the only way this book could let me down is if spoilers:
    the Great Champion ends up being Human
    end of spoilers.

Simply because that feels too blatantly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    I picked this up yesterday after looking at preview panels and seeing the gorgeous art, reading the plot synopsis (I'm a sucker for sprawling fantasies), seeing the Image logo associated with it, and because it's only $2.99 with 48 ad-free pages. How could you possibly go wrong?

I have to say, this is honestly one of the best comics I've picked up. Every single panel-- and I mean that, literally, every single panel-- had flawless, gorgeous art with mind-blowing detail packed in, and the coloring and inking is phenomenal. I can safely say this book has some of the best art I've ever seen.

Aside from that, there's a vast world that has been established and intriguing characters with all of the classically charming fantasy elements you'd expect to find, expertly executed.

Well-deserving of the 5-star rating. Kudos. Ku. Dos.
    I felt the same way you did. This issue really blew me away, it wasn't on my 'must get' list when I first saw it solicited but now I can't wait for the next issue. Blew away all my expectations. I still can't get over how beautiful every single panel was, it was so majestic. This might be one of the most ambitious first issue I have ever read. Beautiful world, charming characters, I can't gush about this series enough.

Another well deserved 5 star rating from me as well. Anyone who hasn't picked this up yet needs to do so now.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
    Amazing first issue. Probably the best first issue since Saga. Definite 5 Stars. Honestly the only way this book could let me down is if spoilers:
    the Great Champion ends up being Human
    end of spoilers.

Simply because that feels too blatantly obvious.
    I think that was implied, or at least how I read it. It might be somewhat obvious, but it could still lead to some excellent stories.

It's easily the most fully-realized, self-assured debut issue I've read in ages. I get what some reviewers are saying about the amount of exposition, but this is the kind of story where that approach actually helps.

(By the way, Benjamin Dewey's webcomic is sublime. Highly recommended.)