Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Fraction brought Dazzler back and made her a star, at that. divisive, sexist, and bloviated that most of his stories were, i dig his run for that alone.

Plus yeah, his run actually did have the decency of plot progressions and really read like old school Uncanny in that he wrote stand alone stories, showcased minor characters often (Utopia was just a good period for the books in general) and tied in elements of classic x-men with his sometimes wild interpretations of characters. I don't care what you say, the issue where Storm and Wolverine having the big talk after she finds out about X-force is a new classic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    Fraction's run was fucking brilliant.

I was the ONLY one supporting his run here.
    This is true. During that run Torpor spoke up for Fraction and even defended stories such as the Sisterhood.

BANNED

Torpor criticized heavily Fraction's run mid-point and then joined the other team. Pixie might have something to do with that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    Torpor criticized heavily Fraction's run mid-point and then joined the other team. Pixie might have something to do with that.
    Fraction had few supporters. I remember whole threads being taken down because they were too negative. Now in retrospect people are practically begging for that era to return.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Majin_O.A.W. View Post
    Fraction had few supporters. I remember whole threads being taken down because they were too negative. Now in retrospect people are practically begging for that era to return.
    People were saying it couldn't get worse than Fraction. BMB. Proved. Them. Wrong!

I miss Utopia era CBR. Such fun times.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Fraction brought Dazzler back and made her a star, at that. divisive, sexist, and bloviated that most of his stories were, i dig his run for that alone.

Plus yeah, his run actually did have the decency of plot progressions and really read like old school Uncanny in that he wrote stand alone stories, showcased minor characters often (Utopia was just a good period for the books in general) and tied in elements of classic x-men with his sometimes wild interpretations of characters. I don't care what you say, the issue where Storm and Wolverine having the big talk after she finds out about X-force is a new classic.
    I'm with you on this...not so much on the Dazzler parts but on the rest of it.

The Utopia period really was a good time for the books...it was a great backdrop for a ton of different stories and the approach Fraction took with the book basically centering on Scott but bringing EVERYONE into the stories as called for worked really well and allowed the other books to center more on smaller casts...it really felt like a flagship book and most of the run had an optimistic vibe to it that is often missing from the x-books. I'd take that over what we have now in a heartbeat.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Pixie was in it from the beginning. What happened? I got what Fraction was trying to do here. I stopped taking corny dialogue like "You're never alone, Peter" at face value and I understood the modern, pop-cultured X he was trying to implement. Ironic. Disjointed. Stilted. Yet a collaged greater sum of just its disparate parts. And beautiful, beautiful intrapersonal conflict and tension.

I confess not being up on it as soon as I could have been, but lord, when it clicked, a light shone on me from up on high like a manna sent straight from the beautiful messiah herself. Verre.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Pixie was in it from the beginning. What happened? I got what Fraction was trying to do here. I stopped taking corny dialogue like "You're never alone, Peter" at face value and I understood the modern, pop-cultured X he was trying to implement. Ironic. Disjointed. Stilted. Yet a collaged greater sum of just its disparate parts. And beautiful, beautiful intrapersonal conflict and tension.

I confess not being up on it as soon as I could have been, but lord, when it clicked, a light shone on me from up on high like a manna sent straight from the beautiful messiah herself. Verre.

I'm thinking you probably took more from that run, than he ever had the insight to put into it in the first place:

I for one will never forget, though to be fair Bendis isn't much better......

People were saying it couldn't get worse than Fraction. BMB. Proved. Them. Wrong!
    If subsequent runs being worse constitutes mediocre runs to be X-Men classics, then no wonder the X-Men franchise is in trouble.

Fantastic Member

It was pure spice. I enjoyed every minute of it. It was refreshing to have an x-writer not fall into the trappings of safe, conventional characterizations.
    See, this is where we have to agree to disagree. Fraction's run did little to excite me, and we saw the team jobbed out to Empath.

Fantastic Member

That was such a freaking unique era on the boards. The debates were lively... fans were restless and eager for change. Now the X-marks go back and romanticize some of the worst periods of the series calling them the good ol' days and when storytellin' was at an all time high!!!!

LOL, exactly. I KNEW people were going to complain about how much they missed Fraction once Bendis came on board and screwed up the X-Men like he did the Avengers.

Bendis is so horrible he automatically makes Fraction's mediocre run look classic and groundbreaking...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    LOL, exactly. I KNEW people were going to complain about how much they missed Fraction once Bendis came on board and screwed up the X-Men like he did the Avengers.

Bendis is so horrible he automatically makes Fraction's mediocre run look classic and groundbreaking...LOL!
    Meh. The current period is always the worst one.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Meh. The current period is always the worst one.
    I stand by Fraction having had the worst Uncanny run to date and it being responsible for much of the state of the X-Books today.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starsmoar View Post
    I stand by Fraction having had the worst Uncanny run to date and it being responsible for much of the state of the X-Books today.
    Not even close to as bad as Chuck Austen...no one is.