Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default Can "Wonder Woman" Make Its Mark in a Crowded Superhero Movie Landscape?

While fandom is in a tizzy over Marvel's "Captain Marvel" movie, fans are oddly quiet regarding Warner Bros. "Wonder Woman" -- but will it succeed?

Full article here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    While fandom is in a tizzy over Marvel's "Captain Marvel" movie, fans are oddly quiet regarding Warner Bros. "Wonder Woman" -- but will it succeed?

Full article here.
    Ironically funny since the fans never shut up about wanting a WW movie before it was made official. Make up your minds people!!

... Not sure what the alleged backlash is about. Gal Gadot was already announced as Wonder Woman long ago. It should go without saying that she would eventually be set up for a solo film. So the impact was somewhat muted-- if they announced Gal as Diana plus the solo movie months ago, then that would have set the tone of enthusiasm.

historically, in the general public psyche-- WW doesn't have an iconic villain. (certain) cartoon fans and (some) comics fans know about Cheetah, Ares, Circe, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, etc., Jane Soccer Mom does not. Similarly, the depths of her traditional origins are not known to the general public like Batman, Superman or Spider-Man.

To my knowledge, they have yet to announce the head producer, writer and director yet. When that happens, then there will be a better gauge on fan reaction.

It would be curious if Joss Whedon's treatment ends up being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    historically, in the general public psyche-- WW doesn't have an iconic villain. (certain) cartoon fans and (some) comics fans know about Cheetah, Ares, Circe, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, etc., Jane Soccer Mom does not. Similarly, the depths of her traditional origins are not known to the general public like Batman, Superman or Spider-Man.
    What Captain America villain did Jane Soccer Mom know about before the Captain America movies? Thor? Iron Man? 99.9% of supervillains are known because of the movies that introduce them to the public eye. Once Cheetah or Circe or whoever gets slapped into the Wonder Woman movie, they'll be recognizable to people who aren't just comic fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    What Captain America villain did Jane Soccer Mom know about before the Captain America movies? Thor? Iron Man? 99.9% of supervillains are known because of the movies that introduce them to the public eye. Once Cheetah or Circe or whoever gets slapped into the Wonder Woman movie, they'll be recognizable to people who aren't just comic fans.
    Exactly. IM didn't even have any iconic villains either but did that stop three movies from being made? Double standards all over the place I tells ya.

Retired

I understand the thinking in putting forward a warrior-woman style Wonder Woman in muted colours. Today's adults are jaded and can accept dark warrior types over brightly costumed hero types.

It's ironic that--if any comic publisher was known for stand-up and cheer superheroes--it was DC. Whereas, Marvel became famous for the anti-hero that makes you think about all the problems in the world. Yet in the recent movies, it's Marvel that presents the stand-up and cheer hero moments. While DC makes you think about closing the garage door and leaving the motor running.

But the most common go-to costume for a girl, woman or gay man that wants to appear fun and full of pride has to be the red, white and blue Wonder Woman costume.

Well, at least the Red Chinese government will have no sleepless nights about Wonder Woman representing depraved imperialist Yankee dog capitalism to their unsuspecting movie-going citizens. So maybe the trade-off is worth it for Warner Brothers who want to sell their popcorn movies abroad.

However, I believe that the stand-up and cheer movie is the one that American audiences really want to see. The problem is that's a much harder nut to crack. Doing dark, depressing movies about the meaningless of existence in a godless universe is a pretty easy movie to shoot. A movie that tries to be inspirational has a greater chance of falling on its face, because if it goes too broad it can come across as corny, attracting derisive giggles. And if it is too understated, people will just yawn and, rather than stand-up and cheer, they'll just stand-up and leave.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I understand the thinking in putting forward a warrior-woman style Wonder Woman in muted colours. Today's adults are jaded and can accept dark warrior types over brightly costumed hero types.

It's ironic that--if any comic publisher was known for stand-up and cheer superheroes--it was DC. Whereas, Marvel became famous for the anti-hero that makes you think about all the problems in the world. Yet in the recent movies, it's Marvel that presents the stand-up and cheer hero moments. While DC makes you think about closing the garage door and leaving the motor running.

But the most common go-to costume for a girl, woman or gay man that wants to appear fun and full of pride has to be the red, white and blue Wonder Woman costume.

Well, at least the Red Chinese government will have no sleepless nights about Wonder Woman representing depraved imperialist Yankee dog capitalism to their unsuspecting movie-going citizens. So maybe the trade-off is worth it for Warner Brothers who want to sell their popcorn movies abroad.

However, I believe that the stand-up and cheer movie is the one that American audiences really want to see. The problem is that's a much harder nut to crack. Doing dark, depressing movies about the meaningless of existence in a godless universe is a pretty easy movie to shoot. A movie that tries to be inspirational has a greater chance of falling on its face, because if it goes too broad it can come across as corny, attracting derisive giggles. And if it is too understated, people will just yawn and, rather than stand-up and cheer, they'll just stand-up and leave.
    Good point, the Wonder Woman costume in the article looks like it belongs in a "300" movie more than a Superhero movie.

BANNED

It's all about track record right now. People will get more hyped about Wonder Woman if BvS is the greatest thing since Michael Jackson.

WW doesn't have an iconic villain. (certain) cartoon fans and (some) comics fans know about Cheetah, Ares, Circe, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, etc., Jane Soccer Mom does not.
    There's a reason for that.

WW deal with her enemies by turned them into friends.

I've read some WW comic. Most of her villain is one-shot because she deal with them clearly. I mean... who remember Decay and The Hellions, WW villains?
    Last edited by Kencana; 11-07-2014 at 05:07 AM.

The skepticism and/or hesitancy revolving around the Wonder Woman film vs. the Captain Marvel film seems to be attributed to an already thriving interconnective Marvel movie franchise, which DC has yet to be explored.

Simply put: DC hasn't done it yet.
    DC has certainly made incredible strides in many multimedia formats that Marvel has yet to truly succeed in (animation for example, imho) but the Marvel movies being interwoven in the way that they are is unique to themselves.

That's all.

Its not about FEMALE VS FEMALE, and its actualy pretty ridiculous that they're making such an implication (probably to catch readers' eyes).

Additionally, I'd like to add -- addressing the posters who are arguing there wasn't a fervent fanbase crying out for Captain Marvel film -- you're sorely mistaken, and clearly not one of said fanbase. I'm not saying that there were armies of starburst clad groupies storming Marvel's offices, but there's be a very vocal insistence throughout social media (discussion threads, twitter, facebook, tumblr, etc) as well as a very strong presence expressing this desire at conventions and even within the industry from other creators/writers/artists/etc. Simply being unaware of something because one's own interest is lacking, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But to address the topic, yet again, its a simple matter of uncertainty.
    Its not about men vs women.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    There's a reason for that.

WW deal with her enemies by turned them into friends.

I've read some WW comic. Most of her villain is one-shot because she deal with them clearly. I mean... who remember Decay and The Hellions, WW villains?
    Yeah, I don't think the lack of a well-known villain means much. I think the general public knows who Lex Luthor is but I don't know how many think he's a memorable villain. It's more like he's just gotten the most exposure due to being Superman's primary antagonist. I dare say Giganta or Cheetah would make an even more interesting villains to the general audience because they're so... different. Wonder Woman just needs a good movie. That's all she's lacking. I don't think they should play on her being a woman in the "man's world" either (it was never an issue when I watched Justice League), but I'm afraid DC or WB feel the need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the lack of a well-known villain means much. I think the general public knows who Lex Luthor is but I don't know how many think he's a memorable villain. It's more like he's just gotten the most exposure due to being Superman's primary antagonist. I dare say Giganta or Cheetah would make an even more interesting villains to the general audience because they're so... different. Wonder Woman just needs a good movie. That's all she's lacking. I don't think they should play on her being a woman in the "man's world" either (it was never an issue when I watched Justice League), but I'm afraid DC or WB feel the need to.
    Really? I think it was an issue in early episodes and it was definitely one in her first reboot in the 1980s. Plus, I think it's kind of unavoidable.

BANNED

That picture of Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman pretty much sucked the excitement out of me as well. I forgot to mention earlier that I just can't see Wonder Woman in it.

If this were a serious problem, few Marvel movies would be made.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post

Full article here.
    Fandom is in a tizzy? You mean how Disney got a few "journalists" to write a one page story promoting the new Captain Marvel movie?
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284