Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Say they did push the movie and the movie still bombed. Then yes the audience are to blame because they too play a part in a films success and failure.
    Well, the time for that kind of discussion will be when it actually exists and is out there, not now when it doesnt even have a script or a director, yeah? And guess what, if it bombs, it's still going to be the studio's fault, either because of a bad marketing campaign, a poor response to the preceding appearance of the character in Batman v Superman, or just a plain bad film. This is Wonder Woman we're talking about, even though most people don't know much about her the name recognition factor should be a given. It's up to WB to actually make something that people want to go and see, and which enters the pop-cultural zeitgeist the way The Dark Knight did back in 2008. Remember that? The story was "You gotta see this movie!" or "Have you seen The Dark Knight yet, it was awesome!". Man of Steel on the other hand, that was more like "You shouldn't take your kids to see this" or "That's a really dreary film" or "It was loud and obnoxious at the end". That's why after the first weekend the movie failed to draw the same crowds it had in the first few days, it's why TDK and Avengers made a billion and Man of Steel didn't.

I have some sympathy for the argument that 'the audience' is to blame when an original film like say, 'Edge of Tomorrow' or 'Pacific Rim' underperforms, as so much Sci-fi does these days, because audiences, particularly American ones, are more reluctant to spend money on things they don't recognise. You can't make that argument for a superhero movie from one of the world's major studios about a widely recognisable icon appearing on toys, t-shirts and make-up kits. At all. So don't even try. Make a good superheroine film and we'll turn up. Try to sell us a turkey and we'll take our money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Say they did push the movie and the movie still bombed. Then yes the audience are to blame because they too play a part in a films success and failure.
    Very true. And, personally looking forward to Wonder Woman more. Have an actor, have some knowledge on this version, a look. More to go on than CM, but yes, similar kind of deal to Hercules, or Thor.

And, hopefully both're good, don't have an overly negative effect on female led films for superheroes, and helps with myth and cosmic films, and respective universes.

Astonishing Member

WONDER WOMAN will be a colosssal sucess at least for the premiere. This is an icon. Every woman you know that wears a Wonder Woman shirt will be going to that movie. Every girl that has parents who put her in a Wonder Woman shirt is going to that movie.

Quality will be the factor on whether it does GOTG money but it will do Man Of Steel money just by being there.

I hope it kills all other superhero movies in the BO so everybody will shut up.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I hope it kills all other superhero movies in the BO so everybody will shut up.
    You need a few Marvel movies to bomb before that happens. But yeah this crap is making me wish superhero films never went mainstream

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    historically, in the general public psyche-- WW doesn't have an iconic villain. (certain) cartoon fans and (some) comics fans know about Cheetah, Ares, Circe, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, etc., Jane Soccer Mom does not. Similarly, the depths of her traditional origins are not known to the general public like Batman, Superman or Spider-Man.
    What Captain America villain did Jane Soccer Mom know about before the Captain America movies? Thor? Iron Man? 99.9% of supervillains are known because of the movies that introduce them to the public eye. Once Cheetah or Circe or whoever gets slapped into the Wonder Woman movie, they'll be recognizable to people who aren't just comic fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    What Captain America villain did Jane Soccer Mom know about before the Captain America movies? Thor? Iron Man? 99.9% of supervillains are known because of the movies that introduce them to the public eye. Once Cheetah or Circe or whoever gets slapped into the Wonder Woman movie, they'll be recognizable to people who aren't just comic fans.
    Exactly. IM didn't even have any iconic villains either but did that stop three movies from being made? Double standards all over the place I tells ya.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    historically, in the general public psyche-- WW doesn't have an iconic villain. (certain) cartoon fans and (some) comics fans know about Cheetah, Ares, Circe, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, etc., Jane Soccer Mom does not. Similarly, the depths of her traditional origins are not known to the general public like Batman, Superman or Spider-Man.
    Like previous posters have pointed out, neither were a few of the Marvel heroes that have stormed the box-office.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomstick View Post
    The reason I'm not particularly excited for it is that it's the DC Cinematic Universe, the same people who made Green Lantern. I hope it is awesome, but do I expect it to be? Nope.
    I wouldn't worry about that. That GL movie won't be anywhere near the new DCCU.

Retired

I understand the thinking in putting forward a warrior-woman style Wonder Woman in muted colours. Today's adults are jaded and can accept dark warrior types over brightly costumed hero types.

It's ironic that--if any comic publisher was known for stand-up and cheer superheroes--it was DC. Whereas, Marvel became famous for the anti-hero that makes you think about all the problems in the world. Yet in the recent movies, it's Marvel that presents the stand-up and cheer hero moments. While DC makes you think about closing the garage door and leaving the motor running.

But the most common go-to costume for a girl, woman or gay man that wants to appear fun and full of pride has to be the red, white and blue Wonder Woman costume.

Well, at least the Red Chinese government will have no sleepless nights about Wonder Woman representing depraved imperialist Yankee dog capitalism to their unsuspecting movie-going citizens. So maybe the trade-off is worth it for Warner Brothers who want to sell their popcorn movies abroad.

However, I believe that the stand-up and cheer movie is the one that American audiences really want to see. The problem is that's a much harder nut to crack. Doing dark, depressing movies about the meaningless of existence in a godless universe is a pretty easy movie to shoot. A movie that tries to be inspirational has a greater chance of falling on its face, because if it goes too broad it can come across as corny, attracting derisive giggles. And if it is too understated, people will just yawn and, rather than stand-up and cheer, they'll just stand-up and leave.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I understand the thinking in putting forward a warrior-woman style Wonder Woman in muted colours. Today's adults are jaded and can accept dark warrior types over brightly costumed hero types.

It's ironic that--if any comic publisher was known for stand-up and cheer superheroes--it was DC. Whereas, Marvel became famous for the anti-hero that makes you think about all the problems in the world. Yet in the recent movies, it's Marvel that presents the stand-up and cheer hero moments. While DC makes you think about closing the garage door and leaving the motor running.

But the most common go-to costume for a girl, woman or gay man that wants to appear fun and full of pride has to be the red, white and blue Wonder Woman costume.

Well, at least the Red Chinese government will have no sleepless nights about Wonder Woman representing depraved imperialist Yankee dog capitalism to their unsuspecting movie-going citizens. So maybe the trade-off is worth it for Warner Brothers who want to sell their popcorn movies abroad.

However, I believe that the stand-up and cheer movie is the one that American audiences really want to see. The problem is that's a much harder nut to crack. Doing dark, depressing movies about the meaningless of existence in a godless universe is a pretty easy movie to shoot. A movie that tries to be inspirational has a greater chance of falling on its face, because if it goes too broad it can come across as corny, attracting derisive giggles. And if it is too understated, people will just yawn and, rather than stand-up and cheer, they'll just stand-up and leave.
    Good point, the Wonder Woman costume in the article looks like it belongs in a "300" movie more than a Superhero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steele View Post
    Actually, there were quite a few people clamoring for a Captain Marvel film. Feige said on more than one occasion that the two movies he got asked about the most, even more than Avengers movies, were the possible Black Panther and Captain Marvel movies. There did seem to be quite a groundswell of support for a Captain Marvel film. I know I'm much more excited about a Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) film than I am a Wonder Woman film, especially with the darker approach the DC movies seem to be taking. And I have a hunch modern audiences might connect more with Captain Marvel (Air Force officer gaining superpowers) than Wonder Woman (daughter of Zeus).
    He got asked more about those since this last summer due to internet rumor mills working nonstop. I was expecting a Black Widow movie, but since Wonder Woman is getting a solo I think that sparked Marvel to take Captain Marvel off the back burner because she's not an ordinary human.

BANNED

It's all about track record right now. People will get more hyped about Wonder Woman if BvS is the greatest thing since Michael Jackson.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    He got asked more about those since this last summer due to internet rumor mills working nonstop. I was expecting a Black Widow movie, but since Wonder Woman is getting a solo I think that sparked Marvel to take Captain Marvel off the back burner because she's not an ordinary human.
    Or perhaps the rumor sites were reporting on interest in a Captain Marvel movie because people were expressing interest in seeing one.

The article totally leaves out the massive press attention to WW's live-action film debut in BvS. And all the PR Gal has received after being cast as WW. Then the WW costume reveal trended online as well.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    It's all about track record right now. People will get more hyped about Wonder Woman if BvS is the greatest thing since Michael Jackson.
    Right. And if even one Marvel movie underperforma the opposite will be true for Capt Marvel.

For the record, I want to see both movies. Very excited!
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo