Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by superfictious View Post
    I actually agree with you on that. The burdensome part always stemmed from the perception that Wonder Woman is the one icon WB/DC absolutely cannot screw up. Crappy Batman and Superman movies? We can deal with that. We can laugh at GL's yellow turd monster and Bat-nipples and Superman snapping mofo's necks and feeling up Lois Lane in the aftermath, even if that laughter is only to drown out our silent fanboy sobs.

But messing up Woman Woman on the big screen? Ho Ly Sheet. A bad Wonder Woman movie, in this Tumblr day and age, will end all things. Tectonic plates will shift. Birds will fall from the sky. Fetuses will commit suicide in a display of pre-birth feminist angst.

At least that's how the meat-factory execs see it. I'm sure the truth is a lot more tame, but among the DC pantheon Wonder Woman is the only superficial representative of The Other (well, since J'onn's been demoted and John Stewart isn't the default GL in the majority's eyes). WB did itself a favor with the hiring of Rock, Mamoa, and by elevating Cyborg to elite status, but Diana is still the only member of the Holy Trinity that's not the "default". She's not only a woman, but she's exotic, and she was raised by what's possibly a society of multicultural gender-queer butt-kicking warrior chicks who worship non-Christian/Muslim/Judaic gods. A lot of groups have a lot of personal feeling riding on her success.

Yes, WB should've been confident enough to make a WW movie by now. This should've been done a decade ago. But I get the hesitation, even if I don't agree with it.
    What a great post. This will be the most important pop culture movie of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    What do you mean by first woman lead? And don't mistake notoriety for popularity.
    Since the start of the Superhero domination of the box office.

Catwoman and Elektra were at a different time. Everything WW represents are the number one concepts swirling in our society.

Kickass but be fair and compassionate.
    Equality for all people.
    Truth and justice.
    Righteous anger.
    Sacrifice

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

I love WW. Heck, even my Mom loves WW. In my opinion, it's DC that's the problem with making this work. WB made GL movie, which is an arguably more popular franchise, and they still messed it up. WB just needs to stay true to the source material, even if that means diving into new territories. Heck, Marvel is making an Ant-Man movie while WB is still trying to figure things out. If WB makes WW based on Brian Azzelo's run, then I would be a very happy fan boy.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?