Page 650 of 865 FirstFirst ... 150550600640646647648649650651652653654660700750 ... LastLast
Results 9,736 to 9,750 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Commissioner Gordon View Post
    I've been thinking about getting the book as well but hAve held off because I don't know if the stories are great either. The one thing that gives me hope is that they're written by Dan Jurgens, who's usually pretty solid.
    Usually, yeah. I like Dan Jurgens a lot, very solid, but he's had a few stinkers here and there.

Either way, it's on my list to pick up

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kalitarix View Post
    I was wandering this myself considering I havn't seen pictures of the first volume here. Well it's Dark horse, so we know the buildquality will be good, but the stories...
    Tomb Raider's build quality is indeed amazing and the book looks fantastic. The art is beautiful, very cheesecake if you like that stuff (which shouldn't be all that surprising, really)

The stories are fun and full of adventure, but don't expect anything terribly deep or cerebral.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Tomb Raider's build quality is indeed amazing and the book looks fantastic. The art is beautiful, very cheesecake if you like that stuff (which shouldn't be all that surprising, really)

The stories are fun and full of adventure, but don't expect anything terribly deep or cerebral.
    Speaking of this, I noticed the solicits for Vol2 don't include issue 25. Anyone who read the original series want to weigh in? I assume it's a crossover with other Top Cow characters from the time like Aspen and Witchblade, but does anyone actually know. If that's the case, it's a shame they couldn't work an agreement out, DC and Dark Horse seem to have a really good relationship these days in terms of their crossover reprints and I figured other companies would want that too

Spectacular Member Commissioner Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Speaking of this, I noticed the solicits for Vol2 don't include issue 25. Anyone who read the original series want to weigh in? I assume it's a crossover with other Top Cow characters from the time like Aspen and Witchblade, but does anyone actually know. If that's the case, it's a shame they couldn't work an agreement out, DC and Dark Horse seem to have a really good relationship these days in terms of their crossover reprints and I figured other companies would want that too
    According to comicbookdb, issue 25 was the first part of a crossover with Witchblade.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I noticed that the Daredevil SA Omni vol.1 is not solicited at Diamond for next week. Despite still being listed a few other places.
    Anyone know what we can expect next week? If it's delayed that would kind of help honestly as HC books on Feb 1 were a plenty.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

According to comicbookdb, issue 25 was the first part of a crossover with Witchblade.
    Ah, gotcha.

Still, woulda been nice to include it for completionist sake, like in the back of the book maybe.

Latest:

Tore through L&K on one day last weekend, amazing book. I'd held off getting it for years since I didn't like Rodriguez' art (still not a fan), but he's actually a very good storyteller.

The Mattotti book will be available in English soon, btw. An absolute master of the art.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Latest:

Tore through L&K on one day last weekend, amazing book. I'd held off getting it for years since I didn't like Rodriguez' art (still not a fan), but he's actually a very good storyteller.

The Mattotti book will be available in English soon, btw. An absolute master of the art.
    gah, that vol4, why IDW? WHY? Surprised you don't like Rodriguez's art, I really dig it but glad you liked the series overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    gah, that vol4, why IDW? WHY? Surprised you don't like Rodriguez's art, I really dig it but glad you liked the series overall.
    I don't think he was the perfect fit for the series. And in general, he mixes some 90s graffiti character art and manga into his style. It's not that I don't like manga or graffiti but I hate it when artists put these influences into their artwork to make it look "cool" or more appealing to "the kids"; there was way too much of this going on in the mid to late 90s (Joe Madureira, for example) and Rodriguez seems to have his roots there as well. Not my cuppa.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    I don't think he was the perfect fit for the series. And in general, he mixes some 90s graffiti character art and manga into his style. It's not that I don't like manga or graffiti but I hate it when artists put these influences into their artwork to make it look "cool" or more appealing to "the kids"; there was way too much of this going on in the mid to late 90s (Joe Madureira, for example) and Rodriguez seems to have his roots there as well. Not my cuppa.
    he never came off to me like that unlike for example Madureira or Damion Scott or Humberto Ramos (the later 2 I like). Maybe because Rodriguez focuses more on the storytelling than just showing off his art. But after reading more stuff from Hill I think it's more on him, he likes to put popcultural references into his stories. In NOS4A2 one of the main characters is a huge nerd he even names his son Bruce Wayne (who is another main character). Or the punk kid in L&K. To me that's more on the nose than anything in the art.
    But I guess we will see 10-15 years from now what I think. Maybe it will be like Howard Porter on JLA. Probably great at the time but the style didn't age well at all.

he never came off to me like that unlike for example Madureira or Damion Scott or Humberto Ramos (the later 2 I like). Maybe because Rodriguez focuses more on the storytelling than just showing off his art. But after reading more stuff from Hill I think it's more on him, he likes to put popcultural references into his stories. In NOS4A2 one of the main characters is a huge nerd he even names his son Bruce Wayne (who is another main character). Or the punk kid in L&K. To me that's more on the nose than anything in the art.
    But I guess we will see 10-15 years from now what I think. Maybe it will be like Howard Porter on JLA. Probably great at the time but the style didn't age well at all.
    Yeah, he's nowhere near as 'bad' as Joe Mad or Ramos when it comes to that, but like I said, I think the same influences are recognisable. Just look at the first time we see Tyler fully, standing next to Bode (must be the second page of #1): his calves and sneakers are much bigger than they should be; that's the influence of graffiti character art to me; manga influences I can see in Bode's pointy nose, for example.

So to me it looks very 1990s already. But again: I don't think he's a bad artist, just not what I like.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 01-28-2017 at 05:32 AM.

Incredible Member

I agree Porters work on JLA hasn't aged very well but interestingly the work hes putting out for DC at the minute is head and sholders better than what he did back then, I don't know wether its down to a changed to the inking or the colouring or if hes just gotten better in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    I agree Porters work on JLA hasn't aged very well but interestingly the work hes putting out for DC at the minute is head and sholders better than what he did back then, I don't know wether its down to a changed to the inking or the colouring or if hes just gotten better in 20 years.
    Porter severely injured his drawing hand in 2006 and had to relearn how to draw using his other hand, that's why his style is so different now.

Porter severely injured his drawing hand in 2006 and had to relearn how to draw using his other hand, that's why his style is so different now.
    oh wow, that sucks. Glad he could relearn his craft and still working. When was his work on the Johns Flash run? I think that already looked quite different but maybe because of the inking. To be fair to him, his JLA work didn't suck it's just the mid 90's stylistic choices that makes it feel dated and not as good as it could be. But at least I had no problems following the story.

oh wow, that sucks. Glad he could relearn his craft and still working. When was his work on the Johns Flash run? I think that already looked quite different but maybe because of the inking. To be fair to him, his JLA work didn't suck it's just the mid 90's stylistic choices that makes it feel dated and not as good as it could be. But at least I had no problems following the story.
    It must've been right before the accident.