Page 467 of 865 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467468469470471477517567 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,005 of 12974

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Not sure since I haven't read much yet. There's an article about Jidehem in one of the volumes though, and the books collect all of Franquins work on Gaston. So as long as he drew at least part of it, I'd say it should be in there.

The German version differs from the French somewhat, mainly concerning the format. I still think the French one is prettier with it's different-sized volumes, but then again the German set is 'only' €150 compared to the French one which was €200 originally. (I actually got it for €100 via BookDepository).

Apart from introductions by German comic experts, the contents should be exactly the same - right up to some missing strips that were accidentally not included in the French one, and lo and behold: there's some missing here as well (it would be more than daft if it were the exact same ones, which I haven't checked so far). The publisher has promised a free print of the missing strips for customers, though, much like Dupuis did in France.

Yeah, I have quite a few books in French now. That's because a) they often cost less than German ones (and I'm a cheap git) and b) a lot of them haven't been published in German or English - yet. Carlsen in Germany has only just published vol. 4 of Spirou (exact same build and contents as the French version, btw), but I just can't wait until the next volumes have been published (and again, the French ones are €15 at Amazon.de, whereas ours are €30).

My French is really not too good, but I have found that with some comics and particularly Spirou, I can manage quite well. Others are much more difficult for me, e.g. Herrmann's Bois de Maury, which I can manage only about 20-30 pages of in one sitting. I also take this as an opportunity to improve my French - at least my reading comprehension, that is.
    I am impressed. I cannot managed one panel if it's written in German, unless if its Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and in that case my German speaking wife is of a great help. When I was a teenager I have self learned a bit of Spanish by reading tons of Spanish Conan comics during holidays.

I am totally with you regarding the prices differences, and luckily my Gaston Box set was a gift to me. I can't believe that there are missing strips also in the German edition. Notice that this edition features the new colouring by Frederic Jannin that follows more closely Franquin's original indications. And yes this is a complete edition, including early Jidehem strips.

There are many variant versions of forthcoming Gallery Editions advertised recently on the Graphitti Designs website (League of extaordinary gentlemen, the dark knigh returns). For a reason that elude me I cannot give the direct link to the page, if interested you will have to navigate from the main page http://www.graphittidesigns.com/, click on the Gallery Edition section on the left (not the "what are Gallery Edition" bottom link) to reach the Gallery Edition list.

.. and the prices are not for the faint hearted.

Yeah, Gallery editions are great, I have only one, waiting for Sandman , it's due like now. Have to check your blog man, haven't checked it in months, what special have you bought, huh? Another book by Miller?

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    I am impressed. I cannot managed one panel if it's written in German, unless if its Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and in that case my German speaking wife is of a great help. When I was a teenager I have self learned a bit of Spanish by reading tons of Spanish Conan comics during holidays.

I am totally with you regarding the prices differences, and luckily my Gaston Box set was a gift to me. I can't believe that there are missing strips also in the German edition. Notice that this edition features the new colouring by Frederic Jannin that follows more closely Franquin's original indications. And yes this is a complete edition, including early Jidehem strips.
    Well I had half a year of French in 9th grade and had to take a translation course at university, but there's not much left from that. What actually helps me more is English. Since more than half of the English vocabulary (and most English or Americans don't want to hear this) is from French and Latin, I can guess the meaning of a lot of words from that.

Btw, why would you read LoeG in German? There's not even a better edition of it in German than in English.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
    I really have to buy this... the Calvin and Hobbes box set is gorgeous and this one looks even cooler.
    Are these paperbacks? I believe there was a hardcover as well right?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_NL View Post
    Are these paperbacks? I believe there was a hardcover as well right?
    Yes, the first runs of both Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes were HC slip cases. It looks like the Far Side HC editions are going for $40-$100 on ebay lately. I like the HC Far Side better not only for HC but the slip case and the book covers have wonderful art on them. That being said the Far Side is one of the greatest cartoons of all time and this collections deserves to be on a collectors shelf however you can get it.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Yes, the first runs of both Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes were HC slip cases. It looks like the Far Side HC editions are going for $40-$100 on ebay lately. I like the HC Far Side better not only for HC but the slip case and the book covers have wonderful art on them. That being said the Far Side is one of the greatest cartoons of all time and this collections deserves to be on a collectors shelf however you can get it.
    boy the ebay pricing is weird and all over the place on these. There's HC sets from around $60 cdn to upwards of $300, while the PB box I got is running upwards of $100cdn...and of course anywhere from 40 to more than $100 (?) shipping...

Costco also had the Calvin & Hobbes box for $50.

Well I had half a year of French in 9th grade and had to take a translation course at university, but there's not much left from that. What actually helps me more is English. Since more than half of the English vocabulary (and most English or Americans don't want to hear this) is from French and Latin, I can guess the meaning of a lot of words from that.

Btw, why would you read LoeG in German? There's not even a better edition of it in German than in English.
    I read them in English, but in LOEG, when someone Speaks Arab, French or German (it's the case for numerous panels in the last two Nemo books) it is never translated.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Yeah, Gallery editions are great, I have only one, waiting for Sandman , it's due like now. Have to check your blog man, haven't checked it in months, what special have you bought, huh? Another book by Miller?
    You probably haven't miss much (two entries per month these days, more or less, and my Wallet is more happy with this rythm), got the Miller's DD Artifact and his Complete Spider-Man (wasn't aware this book existed before discovering it last September).

Fantastic Member

Started reading The Eternaut tonight. I'm just 35 pages in but man it is great! It's like a fantastic episode of the Twilight Zone. Has this been brought to the screen in any form? If not, why not? Some of the scenes even this early into the story just seem super well-suited for the big screen. I could imagine it being really creepy - maybe because I live in a "snowy" part of the world and I know how creepy even just normal snowy nights can be.

Mighty Member

Since more than half of the English vocabulary (and most English or Americans don't want to hear this) is from French and Latin, I can guess the meaning of a lot of words from that.
    What an odd thing to say. I don't believe there's many Americans (if any) who believe our English is the foundation of modern language. Anyone who has participated or watched a spelling bee knows that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    What an odd thing to say. I don't believe there's many Americans (if any) who believe our English is the foundation of modern language. Anyone who has participated or watched a spelling bee knows that lol.
    Sorry, should've used a winking smiley.

But in all seriousness, I've met Britons who became quite upset at the notion that such a large part of their vocabulary is French. Can't imagine it to be any different in the US.

Back on topic: I'm tearing through both Gaston and Spirou atm. It's astounding how modern these stories seem, particularly if you know that some of them are from the 1950s.

Sorry, should've used a winking smiley.

But in all seriousness, I've met Britons who became quite upset at the notion that such a large part of their vocabulary is French. Can't imagine it to be any different in the US.

Back on topic: I'm tearing through both Gaston and Spirou atm. It's astounding how modern these stories seem, particularly if you know that some of them are from the 1950s.
    It probably is different in America, we hate the French in England. I've met one or two Americans who think America invented English though...

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    You probably haven't miss much (two entries per month these days, more or less, and my Wallet is more happy with this rythm), got the Miller's DD Artifact and his Complete Spider-Man (wasn't aware this book existed before discovering it last September).
    Yeah, that's an old one and one that doesn't get much recognition, but probably because Miller couldn't do with Spider-Man what he did with DD. most of the stories just aren't that good. There's also two versions of this book. I believe one is oversized and then the more rarer one isn't, and it has one of those odd "Miller" half dust jackets that was on the original DD omnibus books.