Page 833 of 865 FirstFirst ... 333733783823829830831832833834835836837843 ... LastLast
Results 12,481 to 12,495 of 12974

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    The first 12 deluxes (volumes 1-24) are great IMO. The Whisperers were interesting but went down hill. Deluxe 16 isn't out yet, but people say it starts picking up again with the single issues in that are collected in there.

So volumes 25-31 are probably the weakest, unless there's love for them on here somewhere. But getting into the characters situations or how safe or rooted in one place they are, are probably big spoilers, so I don't know how to answer that.
    Thanks for the reply, I think I will crack them open and give them ago, looking at eBay sealed copies don’t seem to go for much more than opened ones, so if I end up selling I won’t be losing too much

My only familiarity with Umbrella Academy is the Netflix show, but I was wondering if anyone feels ordering the library edition's are worth it?
    i liked the show enough that I don't balk at spending €20 a volume or whatever. But is the comic worth picking up? Cheers.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

My only familiarity with Umbrella Academy is the Netflix show, but I was wondering if anyone feels ordering the library edition's are worth it?
    i liked the show enough that I don't balk at spending €20 a volume or whatever. But is the comic worth picking up? Cheers.
    Yes, the comics are awesome. I bought and read them long before the show came out. I actually double dipped the singles and trades. Didn't know there are library editions.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Yes, the comics are awesome. I bought and read them long before the show came out. I actually double dipped the singles and trades. Didn't know there are library editions.
    Due out in September. Right now there is only the OOP uber expensive slipcase editions for hardcovers.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Due out in September. Right now there is only the OOP uber expensive slipcase editions for hardcovers.
    Cool. Thanks
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I love the comics but very much disliked the show. It lacked that "zing" and tightness the books had. I've found it unnecessarily bloated and stretched out with some plot elements swapped around resulting in a more convoluted and less effective story.
    Gerald Way and Gabriel Ba's original work is snappy, fast paced, not meandering, weird, groovy but melancholic at points.
    It's like a mash up of Watchmen (melancholic deconstruction) and Morrison's Doom Patrol (weird and quirky with screwed up family dynamic) dipped into glam punk rock syrup (it has that punk rock/emo vibe to it but it also want's to be a fancy superhero book which was kinda what My Chemical romance did. Punk romanticism).

Also I love Ba's stylized artwork. It's like a slightly more cartoony Mignola.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Spectacular Member

I just noticed a new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen coming. I only have the very first two trades and 1910. I think the movie scared me away. What HC set collects all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by koonfasa View Post
    I just noticed a new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen coming. I only have the very first two trades and 1910. I think the movie scared me away. What HC set collects all of them?
    Theres no complete set as DC retain the rights to the first two volumes and Black Dossier and Vol.3-4 are put out by Top Shelf.

DC put out an Omnibus of their material recently though, and theres older Absolute Editions.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 06-07-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Vol 1 and 2 along with black dossier which I think is vol 3 should be in the new omnibus. Top shelf put out a standard size HC collecting all 3 volumes of Century (it's called LoEG century ). Then there is the Nemo spin off which is collected in 3 standard sized hcs and they've also put them out in a slipcase too.
    Don't let the movie scare you away, it's a wastly different story basically only the premise is the same and then nothing else.
    Black dossier is a bit weird but overall IMO it's an excellent series.

As mentioned above, there's no complete set of the whole series due to rights issues between DC and Top Shelf. They've been released in various formats over the years, but the complete story from start to finish is:

LOEG Vol. 1
    LOEG Vol. 2
    LOEG: The Black Dossier
    LOEG Vol. 3: Century (A trilogy that includes 1910, 1969, and 2009)
    LOEG Vol. 4: Tempest (The final LOEG series, and what Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill claim to be the final comic they will ever make)

There's also a spinoff trilogy following the second Captain Nemo:

Nemo: Heart of Ice
    Nemo: The Roses of Berlin
    Nemo: River of Ghosts

I have the whole series in standard sized hardcovers; I like having them all the same trim-size. DC recently released the Jubilee Edition of the Omnibus which is an oversized hardcover collecting Vol. 1, 2, and The Black Dossier. It's a very weird series and a controversial one, but I genuinely love it despite the flaws.
    Last edited by T.D.; 06-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I love the comics but very much disliked the show. It lacked that "zing" and tightness the books had. I've found it unnecessarily bloated and stretched out with some plot elements swapped around resulting in a more convoluted and less effective story.
    Gerald Way and Gabriel Ba's original work is snappy, fast paced, not meandering, weird, groovy but melancholic at points.
    It's like a mash up of Watchmen (melancholic deconstruction) and Morrison's Doom Patrol (weird and quirky with screwed up family dynamic) dipped into glam punk rock syrup (it has that punk rock/emo vibe to it but it also want's to be a fancy superhero book which was kinda what My Chemical romance did. Punk romanticism).

Also I love Ba's stylized artwork. It's like a slightly more cartoony Mignola.

I never read the comics and came upon the show by accident, however could someone explain to me where and when the scene of Hargreaves with his dying wife happens? The thing that threw me off was the rockets or missiles going up into the air, what did this mean, thanks.
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    I never read the comics and came upon the show by accident, however could someone explain to me where and when the scene of Hargreaves with his dying wife happens? The thing that threw me off was the rockets or missiles going up into the air, what did this mean, thanks.
    I’m not sure it was explained (unless I missed something) perhaps it will be part of season 2

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    I don't even remember Last episode or two I was just watching out of obligation to finish it basically.