Page 637 of 865 FirstFirst ... 137537587627633634635636637638639640641647687737 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,555 of 12974
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yeah, I agree. The Goon is like that as well although there might be an end (I haven't gotten that far in the LE's).
    Don't know if it was mentioned already but I mentioned in the Dark Horse thread that library edition volume five for the Goon is available on Amazon

Yeah, I agree. The Goon is like that as well although there might be an end (I haven't gotten that far in the LE's).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Don't know if it was mentioned already but I mentioned in the Dark Horse thread that library edition volume five for the Goon is available on Amazon
    Bought the Goon LE 1, haven't started it yet. Looking forward to it though

I think Hellboy works better in that regard, its mythology doesn't get old on rereadings while the Goon's homicidal poop jokes quickly got boring after a while and the lack of substance in half of the stories made it a poor reread.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think Hellboy works better in that regard, its mythology doesn't get old on rereadings while the Goon's homicidal poop jokes quickly got boring after a while and the lack of substance in half of the stories made it a poor reread.
    Still have to read The Goon LE 4, and have never re-read my Hellboy LEs, but would agree with that. I feel that The Goon is a great 'feel good' comic with cool action and amazing art. you just flip through the pages with a smile on your face and sometimes an actual laugh (I'm not one to actually laugh out loud while reading) would come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivar_L View Post
    Hi,
    can you tell about this Franka series? I've seen it in Brussels Comics Festival (been there 2015 and 2016), and, as I like atom style, it looks like I could have one of the albums in my collection...
    (I'm in/from Estonia, btw.)
    Wikipedia probably explains it better than I can but to add to that:
    The first few album are much closer too Spirou style comics art-wise (larger heads and exagerated physique) but the style gets more realistic a few albums in. The stories are solid to good, but the art definitely is the star. I actually never thought of them as atom style (it misses the 50's nostalgia that I personally associate with that movement) but I guess it does kind of fit with it's Marcilene school/ ligne claire hybrid.
    What language do you prefer to get them in? A few albums are available in French AFAIK (The first three by Dupuis in the 80's, The two 'Dragon' books by Humanoides and a few of the recent ones were self published) but the Dutch albums are also available in limited editions that are very cool: linnen bound, signed/numbered and with a lot of extra material covering the making of the album.Not all of them are still in print but they're definitely a nice upgrade over the SC and regular HC.

Incredible Member

Anybody have any general thoughts on ODY-C? From the looks of some preview pages, the art isn't my thing but I've overlooked art I didn't like if the story was good. Wondering if the HC is worth the pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    Anybody have any general thoughts on ODY-C? From the looks of some preview pages, the art isn't my thing but I've overlooked art I didn't like if the story was good. Wondering if the HC is worth the pickup.
    Just bought this today actually. Will be coming in the mail.

I read the first issue what seems like 3 years ago. It's definitely crazy and not your conventional comic, really pushing the bounds of what a comic can do.

I'll let you know when I get it some more thoughts.

Did IDW ever publish a follow up to the Starstruck collection from a few years back?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Just bought this today actually. Will be coming in the mail.

I read the first issue what seems like 3 years ago. It's definitely crazy and not your conventional comic, really pushing the bounds of what a comic can do.

I'll let you know when I get it some more thoughts.
    Thanks, that would be appreciated.

I know I'm often well behind the times of topics on this forum but sometimes I've got to bring things back up (although I've discovered this little TV show called The Walking Dead that could take off soon...)

A family member has bought me The Metabarons for Christmas so I decided to get The Incal to see what this stuff is about from the original source. I've read the first two parts so far and there is more story, creativity, excitement and fun in just one of the issues than a large majority of anything else I've read over the years since I started buying collections. Obviously there is a lot of great stuff and some particularly special books but it's easy for me to say the praise The Incal gets is an understatement most of the time and I haven't even gotten half way through it yet.

It's also nice that the other related stuff isn't an endless black hole of spending either.

Incredible Member

Latest. Probably my last major haul before Christmas. I like that Rebirth doesn't have a dust jacket. Much prefer it this way.

Incredible Member

Unwritten deluxe is nice. Similar to the Fables deluxe but this one has better binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I know I'm often well behind the times of topics on this forum but sometimes I've got to bring things back up (although I've discovered this little TV show called The Walking Dead that could take off soon...)

A family member has bought me The Metabarons for Christmas so I decided to get The Incal to see what this stuff is about from the original source. I've read the first two parts so far and there is more story, creativity, excitement and fun in just one of the issues than a large majority of anything else I've read over the years since I started buying collections. Obviously there is a lot of great stuff and some particularly special books but it's easy for me to say the praise The Incal gets is an understatement most of the time and I haven't even gotten half way through it yet.

It's also nice that the other related stuff isn't an endless black hole of spending either.
    Well then get ready for the Metabarons. If the Incal is a 70's lsd fuelled experimental rock album then the Metabarons is the phase when the members go into cocaine and speed as well and started playing heavy metal.

Sounds good to me. I've just ordered Technopriests and the other two Incal books. I really like the writing style and what's actually going on. I think crazy ideas, big or small, work for a combination of two reasons. They have to feel natural for no explainable reason and they have to serve the story. I think The Incal has that for every idea so far. The writing has only felt dated for two sentences too. I guess that's easier to avoid when you aren't working for Marvel or DC at that time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Sounds good to me. I've just ordered Technopriests and the other two Incal books. I really like the writing style and what's actually going on. I think crazy ideas, big or small, work for a combination of two reasons. They have to feel natural for no explainable reason and they have to serve the story. I think The Incal has that for every idea so far. The writing has only felt dated for two sentences too. I guess that's easier to avoid when you aren't working for Marvel or DC at that time though.
    I wasn't crazy about BEfore the Incal. It's good but some recurring side characters and overly satirical representation of the crowds irritated the hell out of me.