Page 580 of 865 FirstFirst ... 80480530570576577578579580581582583584590630680 ... LastLast
Results 8,686 to 8,700 of 12974

I have the first 2 trades of Deadly Class and I loved it. I was going to buy the 3rd trade soon and not bother with the deluxe, but after seeing pud333's pictures, I'm really tempted now. Decisions, decisions.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Brendan McCarthy will be signing his books at Gosh next month. Here's my question, does ABC Warriors Mek Files vol 1 contain his artwork? Also what other books should I get with his art? I have couple, like Future Shocks and The Best of Milligan and McCarthy.

Latest: lots of Franco-Belgian classics - again:

Btw, Schuiten/Peeters' "Theory of the Grain of Sand" will be published in English by IDW later this year.

Mighty Member

some Valiant fish:

https://www.amazon.com/Shadowman-Del...n%3A7421513011

https://www.amazon.com/Bloodshot-Reb...n%3A7421513011

Looking forward to jumping on Bloodshot here. I opted to skip the earlier stuff (aside from what i read in Harbinger Wars and A&A), but Lemire and the good reviews have me interested.
    Last edited by awayne83; 07-10-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Fantastic Member

Bloodshot: Reborn is fantastic. It's the only Valiant title I follow anymore, and Lemire is writing some really great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    Bloodshot: Reborn is fantastic. It's the only Valiant title I follow anymore, and Lemire is writing some really great stuff.
    Has the rest of Valiant's line up taken a dip in quality?

So I finally got around to reading my copy of The Eternaut which I picked up on the recommendations of several of you fine folks. It was a very good read and holds up very well for something written in the 50's. Thank you all for pointing me towards this book. I really enjoyed it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Latest: lots of Franco-Belgian classics - again:

Btw, Schuiten/Peeters' "Theory of the Grain of Sand" will be published in English by IDW later this year.
    Great haul Lord Julius. I like your hauls, i see some comics which i would never know that they excist otherwise in your hauls. (:

I have a question. This Tin Tin like art style i see alot in Belgian comics (herry und platte and Jeff Jordan Gesamtausgabe are in this style in your haul) does it have name ? was it Tin Tin comics which made this style popular ? or it excisted before Tin Tin ?

Quote Originally Posted by sho nuff View Post
    So I finally got around to reading my copy of The Eternaut which I picked up on the recommendations of several of you fine folks. It was a very good read and holds up very well for something written in the 50's. Thank you all for pointing me towards this book. I really enjoyed it.
    awesome, glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    Great haul Lord Julius. I like your hauls, i see some comics which i would never know that they excist otherwise in your hauls. (:

I have a question. This Tin Tin like art style i see alot in Belgian comics (herry und platte and Jeff Jordan Gesamtausgabe are in this style in your haul) does it have name ? was it Tin Tin comics which made this style popular ? or it excisted before Tin Tin ?
    I think it's called ligne claire and if it's not developed by Herge he was certainly the most well known artist in this style and the one made it really popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post

AFAIK, Herge invented what is known as 'ligne claire', which translates as 'clear line'. What it means is obvious if you look at his art and that of his assistants or others influenced by him (E.P. Jacobs who did "Blake and Mortimer", Bob de Moor, Jacques Martin.). This used to be the prevalent style in Tintin, the Franco-Belgian bi-monthly magazine named after Herge's eponymous hero.

However, in the early 1950s a different art style became popular which was mainly found in the magazine "Spirou". It is much more dynamic and cartoonish than ligne claire and its most famous proponent was Andre Franquin (just compare a page from his Gaston or Spirou with one of Herge's and the differences will immediately become clear). This style is known as the "Ecole de Marcinelle" ("Marcinelle school") after the place where Spirou had its offices at the time. Other famous artists of that school are Morris (Lucky Luke), Maurice Tillieux (Jeff Jordan), Jije (who was a major influence on Moebius/Giraud) or Pierre Seron.

I actually read in the introduction to the Jeff Jordan book above that this style was so popular (because of Franquin) that the publisher of Spirou magazine at the time more or less forced all of his artists to adapt their art to Franquin's style; apparently Tillieux used to be more of a Herge follower first.

Editions Maghen published a very nice Tillieux artbook a few years ago called Heroic. If you're into Tillieux's art it's definitely worth checking out. I could post some pictures of the book if you're interested.

Giraud/Moebius started out as an assistant to Jije and inked one of the later Jerry Spring albums. That was also what landed him Blueberry, Jije recommended him to Charlier when he was looking for an artist for his new western comic for Pilote.
    Last edited by aaltomuoto; 07-14-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Brendan McCarthy will be signing his books at Gosh next month. Here's my question, does ABC Warriors Mek Files vol 1 contain his artwork? Also what other books should I get with his art? I have couple, like Future Shocks and The Best of Milligan and McCarthy.
    Nobody knows the answer?

Tomorrow's signing with Bolland and McMahon, can't wait, but they do 3 books per customer limit. Shame. I'm gonna get more anyway just in case, don't have many by Bolland anyway, but been thinking I can get Animal Man omni signed just for his cover art.

He also did "Spiderman: Fever" (only available as a TPB AFAIK), Sooner or Later (2000AD), Zaucer of Zilk (IDW) and did an issue of Solo (collected in the deluxe edition). He has a new book out soon, but I assume that's what the signing is for.

EnigmaVibration

Default McCarthy Abc

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Nobody knows the answer?

Tomorrow's signing with Bolland and McMahon, can't wait, but they do 3 books per customer limit. Shame. I'm gonna get more anyway just in case, don't have many by Bolland anyway, but been thinking I can get Animal Man omni signed just for his cover art.
    Yes he draws two parts of the first run. They look good in the mek files particularly the B&W. My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to remember the colours popping even more in the original progs.