Page 659 of 865 FirstFirst ... 159559609649655656657658659660661662663669709759 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,885 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I while ago I finished reading Y: The Last Man and I posted about how I disliked the ending, I'm sure that it was in this thread. Anyway... I've re-read it and this time around I absolutely loved it, what the hell is with that? Have you guys experienced that much before? A bit like reheating chilli? Anyway, I now love the ending, so that is nice haha
    I don't think I've flip flopped on story elements. Sometimes I've liked something and it gets better with re-readings but I've never disliked a story and then really enjoyed it another time.

It has happened with artwork though. Used to absolutely hate JRJR and then one day I read something he'd done and just got it all of a sudden. Same thing happened with Dark Knight Returns, liked the story but didn't like Miller's work on it. As time went by that period of Miller made sense to me and I started to really appreciate that version of his style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    So, I saw this on amazon: Wasteland Compendium Volume One. Has anyone here read Wasteland? Is it good?
    I read the hardcovers over the summer. I liked it overall. If you're into world building characters, you'll love it. If you're into story, it's bit slow in the middle as the focus jumps around.

Incredible Member

I was just looking at the Oni Press website about Wasteland and saw the Sixth Gun Gunslinger Vol 1 was supposed to come with art prints. Mine did not, any one else have this issue? I ordered it from IST in November not sure if I should contact them or Oni directly.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    That was my plan but I got suckered in by memories of Bendis' Iron Man in New Avengers. Sadly, I wasn't to know how let down I'd be. Old Man Logan was great while it had Sorrentino on it though so every cloud I guess ha ha.
    I actually enjoyed the Bendis Iron Man and I'm really digging his infamous Iron Man. People will say it's out of character but I like the new twist on Doom.
    I've been reading OML monthly as well and its . . .OK . . . nothing really seems to happen.

Ok, so instead of getting new books I decided to re-read the whole Ennis Punisher run(s) over the last week, starting with the Omnibus and finishing with the MAX OHCs. And while the Omni starts off great but gets a bit silly towards the end, the MAX run is an absolute thing of beauty, start to finish. Specifically the end, "Valley Forge, Valley Forge" is an incredibly well-written arc. And as much as people say that Dillon is the quintessential Punisher artist, I'd put Parlov at least on the same level.

I mean it's always a bit difficult (and partly unfair) to compare more recent series to ones that were written forty or fifty years ago, but to me, Ennis' work on the Punisher might be the best run Marvel has ever published.

Think I will re-read "Fury: My war gone by" next.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Ok, so instead of getting new books I decided to re-read the whole Ennis Punisher run(s) over the last week, starting with the Omnibus and finishing with the MAX OHCs. And while the Omni starts off great but gets a bit silly towards the end, the MAX run is an absolute thing of beauty, start to finish. Specifically the end, "Valley Forge, Valley Forge" is an incredibly well-written arc. And as much as people say that Dillon is the quintessential Punisher artist, I'd put Parlov at least on the same level.

I mean it's always a bit difficult (and partly unfair) to compare more recent series to ones that were written forty or fifty years ago, but to me, Ennis' work on the Punisher might be the best run Marvel has ever published.

I still need to complete my Ennis Max run, I've strated colelcting the trades and have them up to v6 but the complete collections are out so maybe I should sell my slimmer trades?

Also, Aaron's Punisher Max? I think it's just as good as Ennis'.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I still need to complete my Ennis Max run, I've strated colelcting the trades and have them up to v6 but the complete collections are out so maybe I should sell my slimmer trades?

Also, Aaron's Punisher Max? I think it's just as good as Ennis'.
    It's really good, but not up there. Once you've read Ennis' MAX run completely, you will agree.

Btw, afaik the new "Complete Collection" includes the long-since OOP "From first to last" and "Barracuda", so I'd go for those instead (only just ordered a used copy of "From first to last" since that is the only Punisher book by Ennis that I haven't read yet).

It's really good, but not up there. Once you've read Ennis' MAX run completely, you will agree.

Btw, afaik the new "Complete Collection" includes the long-since OOP "From first to last" and "Barracuda", so I'd go for those instead (only just ordered a used copy of "From first to last" since that is the only Punisher book by Ennis that I haven't read yet).
    I have Barracuda and read First to last a few times in the past. The last story in it is one of the bleakest stories I've ever read. Great stuff. It just feels like such a wasted effort now getting those 6 trades.

Huge fan of Ennis' Punisher.

Hoping for an omnibus reprint, and a Punisher Max 4 reprint...but they seem unlikely.

Also hope they release an OHC of his previous 2 Fury series, Fury and Peacemaker.

Agreed on all points, but I'd add that I think the Russian story line was probably my favorite. Although they weren't as good, I also think the stuff after Ennis wasn't bad and Aaron did a decent job as well. I really liked how the first arc with the Kingpin was pretty much from his point of view. His Max origin also had a nice twist.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Huge fan of Ennis' Punisher.

Hoping for an omnibus reprint, and a Punisher Max 4 reprint...but they seem unlikely.

Also hope they release an OHC of his previous 2 Fury series, Fury and Peacemaker.

Yeah Marvel really missed a cool opportunity to collect all his Fury stuff in one book.

I'm missing those two as well. OHC would be preferable, but I'd do with any kind of reprint atm. They did reprint the "Born" TPB a while ago as well, so who knows.

Funny thing: just wanted to get my "Barracuda" miniseries TPB to read that as well. What I found on my shelf however was the "Punisher MAX: Barracuda" paperback instead. So all these years I thought I had the former when it was actually the latter, which I also have in vol. 3 of the OHCs. I think I've read the mini in digital form many years ago though.

I'm missing those two as well. OHC would be preferable, but I'd do with any kind of reprint atm. They did reprint the "Born" TPB a while ago as well, so who knows.

Funny thing: just wanted to get my "Barracuda" miniseries TPB to read that as well. What I found on my shelf however was the "Punisher MAX: Barracuda" paperback instead. So all these years I thought I had the former when it was actually the latter, which I also have in vol. 3 of the OHCs. I think I've read the mini in digital form many years ago though.
    oh wait, I thought you were talking about the PM v6 Barracuda, didn't know there is a Barracuda mini (well, know you mentioned it it started to ring a bell).

I'd never read any of the Ennis Punisher MAX until they started the complete collections last year. I've now finished all four volumes of his run and it's worth every bit of praise it's been given over the years. Excellent stories, I really enjoyed them all. I haven't picked up the fifth volume yet, that I think has multiple writers, but probably will at some point since they are continuing this complete line through Aaron's run, which I also haven't read.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I don't know of there were subsequent printings, mines a first printing, but I think it's great for being a phone book paperback. I was a little impressed with the paper, not as thin as what Marvel uses these days
    Still a bit hesistant on the Stray Bullets and Bone paperbacks. I can't imagine those spines holding up after a second read. And the HC for the latter is too pricey for me. I definitely hope they do deluxes for Stray Bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    nah it's essential. The Bloodshot parts of the crossover are nonessential but you can't really skip them either. It's a good story but IMHO they made the wrong decisions by including Bloodshot but only using the title to show the same events from a different angle.
    Also Harbinger continues as Imperium after the 2nd dlx but that title has no dlx announcement yet only 4 trades.
    Yeah I didn't like that aspect of the event, kinda took me out of it. Ending was a bit underwhelming too. I know what they were going for but I just felt the whole thing to be kinda erratic to follow, and just didn't have that "holy **** this is legit" feeling I got from reading the previous material, this is where i stopped with Valiant. I don't mean it turned me off, I just haven't gotten back to it cause I got sidetracked with other things. Definitely want to explore more the universe. I love my hardcovers but with no plans to reprint Rai, Book of Death, Bloodshot and A&A, I don't think I'll go down that route, digital for this universe.

Oh, and I know ya'll love the Humanoids material, particularly Jordorowski and Moebius. What do ya'll recommend besides Metabrons and Incal? Those seem to be the most popular. I know one of the hc's is OOP which is a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    Still a bit hesistant on the Stray Bullets and Bone paperbacks. I can't imagine those spines holding up after a second read. And the HC for the latter is too pricey for me. I definitely hope they do deluxes for Stray Bullets.

Yeah I didn't like that aspect of the event, kinda took me out of it. Ending was a bit underwhelming too. I know what they were going for but I just felt the whole thing to be kinda erratic to follow, and just didn't have that "holy **** this is legit" feeling I got from reading the previous material, this is where i stopped with Valiant. I don't mean it turned me off, I just haven't gotten back to it cause I got sidetracked with other things. Definitely want to explore more the universe. I love my hardcovers but with no plans to reprint Rai, Book of Death, Bloodshot and A&A, I don't think I'll go down that route, digital for this universe.

Oh, and I know ya'll love the Humanoids material, particularly Jordorowski and Moebius. What do ya'll recommend besides Metabrons and Incal? Those seem to be the most popular. I know one of the hc's is OOP which is a bummer.
    substitute for the Bone colour hc could be the library binding for the black and white all in one version. Not perfect but at least the spine won't be destroyed.

I actually quite liked Harbinger wars outside of the Bloodshot stuff and HArbinger v2 was maybe even stronger. So far I'm deluxe only with Valiant and the fact that A&A is oop really bugs me, the other two I don't care about at all. Who the hell is Rai? MAybe he popped up for a panel in Ivar in the background but other than that I've seen no hint to him in other books. Book of Death is probably good? Still, A&A or at least Armstrong are quite regular players so I really wish I could get that deluxe.

From Jodo Bouncer seems to be the other must read, aldo White Lama. One of these days I will finally read my hcs, I'm quite intrigued by both, I just need to get into the mood.
    Other Humanoids books I liked were: District 14, Millennium, Crusades.