Page 670 of 865 FirstFirst ... 170570620660666667668669670671672673674680720770 ... LastLast
Results 10,036 to 10,050 of 12974
    Incredible Member

Latest.

How's that new Metabarons series? I'm really hesitant to pick it up, I absolutely adore the original

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    How's that new Metabarons series? I'm really hesitant to pick it up, I absolutely adore the original
    To be honest, I haven't had time to get into them. My to-read pile is ridiculous. But like you, I love the original series. The art is good though.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    First volume was great. Obviously nothing will compare to the original series but it doesn't try to compete. It's just telling a story in that world with that character without any pretence.

Been reading the Goon Library Editions, just wrapped up 2. Really digging this series, reminded me of Hellboy in a way.

I hope Concrete is the next series Dark Horse has lined up for Library Editions. That would be great

Fantastic Member

It's sort of an amalgam of Hellboy, Popeye, and Mad Magazine...or maybe Crazy Magazine. Lol. I'm really a fan of the "mythology" parts. Not a big fan of the sophomoric humour parts. Absolutely love Buzzard.

I really liked the Goon until I got to the fourth library edition. Wasn't impressed although I've heard that it gets back on track with the final volume.

I'm quite honestly getting disappointed in DH's output lately. My second read through the Goon was a real let down, Terminal City was just dull and after the 2nd vol of the Grendel omnibus I'm considering selling the set which is quite a shame since I usually love Wagner.
    I have all the Buffy LE's and read (or re read) the first 2 of those like a year ago and those were still good and the Mignolaverse never disappoints but other than those 2 properties I'm not so sure a about anything else they publish. The End League LE is tempting though since it's Remender but I'm VERY hesitant on their Aliens/Predator stuff. I love the movies but who knows if the comics would satisfy me (I remember reading Concrete Jungle aaaaages ago and liking it)

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I'm quite honestly getting disappointed in DH's output lately. My second read through the Goon was a real let down, Terminal City was just dull and after the 2nd vol of the Grendel omnibus I'm considering selling the set which is quite a shame since I usually love Wagner.
    I have all the Buffy LE's and read (or re read) the first 2 of those like a year ago and those were still good and the Mignolaverse never disappoints but other than those 2 properties I'm not so sure a about anything else they publish. The End League LE is tempting though since it's Remender but I'm VERY hesitant on their Aliens/Predator stuff. I love the movies but who knows if the comics would satisfy me (I remember reading Concrete Jungle aaaaages ago and liking it)
    I bought the complete fire and stone and sold it right after I've read it. Didn't even bother to put it up here in the latest orders topic. Not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I bought the complete fire and stone and sold it right after I've read it. Didn't even bother to put it up here in the latest orders topic. Not my cup of tea.
    I was mostly thinking about the older series that they are rereleasing now as Anniversary editions. I didn't even try Fire and Stone because I don't care about Prometheus at all.
    Also I would like to add Criminal Macabre. Probably the worst thing I've read from DH. It actually got me angry.

Fantastic Member

I never really think of it from a publisher perspective. I just pick and choose what I like. The fact that it might be DH or ONI or Image doesn't really factor into it. At least not in terms of content...the physical quality of the product is another story and I definitely like that aspect of DH's output.

As far as GOON goes, right from day one I sort of saw it as 2 different comics. One was a pulp noir horror depression era tale with a Hellboy tone, and the other was a zany scatalogical gag mag. I was never a fan of the later and tended to get through those issues as fast as possible and forgot about them. But the pulp noir part I loved. I haven't read vol 4 of the omnis yet but if it leans more in the gag mag direction I won't like it much. I too have heard that 5 moves back to the pulp noir stuff so that should be good stuff...

I agree, Terminal City was a bore. I got about half way through and it felt like nothing had happened.

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I never really think of it from a publisher perspective. I just pick and choose what I like. The fact that it might be DH or ONI or Image doesn't really factor into it. At least not in terms of content...the physical quality of the product is another story and I definitely like that aspect of DH's output.
    that is true but I just couldn't help but notice a pattern. Can it be some editorial "problem"? Maybe they just pick stuff to publish that doesn't appeal to me. Although the books I've mentioned were published across 2 or even 3 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I really liked the Goon until I got to the fourth library edition. Wasn't impressed although I've heard that it gets back on track with the final volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    It's sort of an amalgam of Hellboy, Popeye, and Mad Magazine...or maybe Crazy Magazine. Lol. I'm really a fan of the "mythology" parts. Not a big fan of the sophomoric humour parts. Absolutely love Buzzard.
    I am more partial to the more mythology/serious type stuff than the gag humor(Chinatown was great).

And I'm usually never disappointed in Dark Horse's stuff they put out. You have to remember, Terminal City was originally a Vertigo book, and most of Grendel was originally under Comico. Editors(or lack of) can have different impacts on the trajectory of stories.

End League was okay, I read it as trades, I'll probably upgrade and give my trades to my friend.

fiftyyearsgoby

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster here.
    My question is: is there a subforum, website or something in this community (or somewhere else) which might offer me help in pricing hardcovers I would like to sell?
    I want to sell an Absolute Authority vol. 2 which has an interesting printing mistake (which might make it worth more to someone), but I'm not sure how to price it.
    If this isn't the place to discuss these things, I won't post pictures of the Absolute, and try to delete the comment, if possible.
    Thanks.

I was mostly thinking about the older series that they are rereleasing now as Anniversary editions. I didn't even try Fire and Stone because I don't care about Prometheus at all.
    Also I would like to add Criminal Macabre. Probably the worst thing I've read from DH. It actually got me angry.
    What is it about Macabra you don't like? I'm not a massive fan of Steve Niles, I liked the first couple of 30 days arcs, but I do love anything Ben Templesmith does, perhaps I'm so blinded by the art I don't see how crap the writing is