Page 676 of 865 FirstFirst ... 176576626666672673674675676677678679680686726776 ... LastLast
Results 10,126 to 10,140 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Isn't ordering blind buy books a bit of a risk? suppose you end up not liking it and then getting only less than half off if you decide to sell it or trade it somewhere.
    Why would you only get what you've read before? How would you ever find anything new to read?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Does anyone know why Dark Horse's Usagi Yojimbo Saga volume 1 collects the 2nd series and the start of the 3rd series(books 8-10)? Why were the first 7 reprinted by Fantagraphics? Is the Special Edition by Fanta the same size as the Saga books from Dark Horse?
    I would imagine it's because Fantagraphics still has the rights to reprint those, since they were originally published through them. The SE is slightly larger than the dark horse editions, and is slipcased.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    I would imagine it's because Fantagraphics still has the rights to reprint those, since they were originally published through them. The SE is slightly larger than the dark horse editions, and is slipcased.
    And other than one story (Samurai, I think it was called) is not worth having. I wasn't even glad to have read the original stories in that set compared to how much I enjoyed the first three Saga volumes. It gave me the strangest feeling I've had reading to not enjoy something so closely related to something else I really liked.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    And other than one story (Samurai, I think it was called) is not worth having. I wasn't even glad to have read the original stories in that set compared to how much I enjoyed the first three Saga volumes. It gave me the strangest feeling I've had reading to not enjoy something so closely related to something else I really liked.
    Good to know. I haven't gotten around to reading any Usagi yet, so I'll keep that in mind.

really? Honestly I thought I'm crazy cause I think the Fanta volumes were solid but it didn't make me buy the DH ones even though literally EVERYONE is raving about them. I thought all the volumes are the same quality.

Fantastic Member

I think they are worth having. Enjoyed them a lot...plus I'm a completionist.

I may have to get the DH ones then, I quite liked the fantagraph ones but they didn't make me want to rush out and get the DH ones (also vol 1 HC from DH costs a fortune)

Fantastic Member

I just went with the paper backs. They are actually really nice books...

Spectacular Member

Very interesting to read this.

I have the Fanta slipace since I thought "let's start with the beginning", and so far I read the first book. I like the art and enjoyed the stories, but haven't been compelled to start reading the second book, yet alone start collecting the DH ones.

What would you say differs?

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    I just went with the paper backs. They are actually really nice books...
    Yeah, I think I may do that

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    really? Honestly I thought I'm crazy cause I think the Fanta volumes were solid but it didn't make me buy the DH ones even though literally EVERYONE is raving about them. I thought all the volumes are the same quality.
    I liked the Fanta volumes but I read them and the first four or five DH books right in a row that I really can't recall how I'd rank them. I must have liked them enough to continue reading tho.

It's a fun series and something I'd recommend. I mean it's not Alan Moore or anything but it's certainly not Ann Nocenti, either.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I liked the Fanta volumes but I read them and the first four or five DH books right in a row that I really can't recall how I'd rank them. I must have liked them enough to continue reading tho.

It's a fun series and something I'd recommend. I mean it's not Alan Moore or anything but it's certainly not Ann Nocenti, either.
    * looking at my Nocenti DD epic and the next Nocenti DD epic in my wishlist and feeling ashamed *

The Dark Horse volumes just seemed to have a special feeling about the stories that held it all together that the slipcase set didn't for me. It's hard to describe.

Maybe I'd just gotten everything out of the series from the three DH volumes I had and the slipcase didn't feel as special as a result? I do remember that the stories just weren't as captivating but then I was on a big binge of learning about Japanese history for a couple of years at the time I read them and started Lone Wolf And Cub. It might have just paled in the face of that masterpiece because I haven't re-read the DH stuff since then either to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Thanks, good to know. I figured since it's creator owned, Stan would have them all collected and republished under the same publisher.

Sadly, so am I!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I may have to get the DH ones then, I quite liked the fantagraph ones but they didn't make me want to rush out and get the DH ones (also vol 1 HC from DH costs a fortune)
    Yeah, I'd usually go for the hardcovers, but seeing as they're standard size, the trades will do just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    * looking at my Nocenti DD epic and the next Nocenti DD epic in my wishlist and feeling ashamed *
    Ha ha....Yeah, not a big fan of her DD or anything she wrote for that matter.