Page 488 of 865 FirstFirst ... 388438478484485486487488489490491492498538588 ... LastLast
Results 7,306 to 7,320 of 12974
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

The writing, I get the criticisms but I like the language. The art is unreal. I read the Ingels book, you can see the influence on Kelly Jones or Berni Wrightson. The Jack Kamen book, looks like Chris Weston (kind of). The stories remind me of those old mini "repent now" comics you'd find on the street in black and white. The road to sin cautionary comics. EC comics to me are, funny, absurd, grotesque, creepy but still kid friendly. Well not kid, "Juvenile Delinquent" friendly..Like if David Lynch took over Mr. Rogers for PBS.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 01-10-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the art is alright but the storytelling is a bit problematic sometimes. Maybe it's just too early in the run? The later parts looked better. Looked in the Corpse on the Imjin book and I think I preferred that art style. Haven't checked Taint the meat and 50 girls 50 yet. I will leave it for now and read other books then go back. I know a lot of people love these books so I'm willing to give them a second or third chance.
    As for the age thing, I'm reading Prince Valiant from 1937 and loving it. Miss Fury from 1941 and loving it as well.
    I started reading them the other day (got the two slipcases as a xmas gift) and thought much the same BUT I enjoyed experiencing it for what it was. Did you read the introductory essay? The guy who wrote that basically says the early ones have terrible scripts and the idea (for him, anyway) is to read through that collection watching Wood get better and better. Whether you wanna spend the money to do that, I don't know.

If I find the other books in the collection the same I might have a problem, but if there's some fun stuff, I'll probably keep dipping in and out as I feel like it. I do the same with the Dredd Case Files, which I can't handle a whole book of in one sitting due to the pacing and THRILLS(!). haha

Quote Originally Posted by Rory426 View Post
    I started reading them the other day (got the two slipcases as a xmas gift) and thought much the same BUT I enjoyed experiencing it for what it was. Did you read the introductory essay? The guy who wrote that basically says the early ones have terrible scripts and the idea (for him, anyway) is to read through that collection watching Wood get better and better. Whether you wanna spend the money to do that, I don't know.

If I find the other books in the collection the same I might have a problem, but if there's some fun stuff, I'll probably keep dipping in and out as I feel like it. I do the same with the Dredd Case Files, which I can't handle a whole book of in one sitting due to the pacing and THRILLS(!). haha
    ugh, Dredd, gave up on casefiles v1 after like 2 or 3 stories. I don't like switching the books around, I always feel like I'm secretly betraying a book if I don't finish it and start reading another one. Have to change that since I just bought a Peanuts hc and damn sure I can't read the whole thing since it's a strip collection.

Haven't read the essay, I never read those because sometimes they spoil the stories but I might make an exception.

Fantastic Member

Haven't read the essay, I never read those because sometimes they spoil the stories but I might make an exception.
    Ugh...I started to read Cosmic Odyssey just yesterday and the forward began spoiling all the major plot points. The art looks incredible so I hope setting it aside for a while will allow me to forget and then read it without the spoilers.

I went on to read J.M. DeMatteis' Doctor Fate series and that is really good stuff. Deserves to be collected.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Ugh...I started to read Cosmic Odyssey just yesterday and the forward began spoiling all the major plot points. The art looks incredible so I hope setting it aside for a while will allow me to forget and then read it without the spoilers.

I went on to read J.M. DeMatteis' Doctor Fate series and that is really good stuff. Deserves to be collected.
    I can't imagine why the editors allow forewords like that. Do they just assume that only old fans buy these books who already read the series 20-30 years ago?

Incredible Member

Alright gang, to those who have and/or read Brian K. Vaughn's Private Eye.. How Is the Deluxe Edition? I don't own any books of the "widescreen" style presentation like this one is, but the story seemed neat and I liked how the art looked. The only thing that seems to be putting me off so far is the fact the book is "widescreen".. Plus the Amazon.ca price isn't too helpful either..

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Alright gang, to those who have and/or read Brian K. Vaughn's Private Eye.. How Is the Deluxe Edition? I don't own any books of the "widescreen" style presentation like this one is, but the story seemed neat and I liked how the art looked. The only thing that seems to be putting me off so far is the fact the book is "widescreen".. Plus the Amazon.ca price isn't too helpful either..
    I was all excited to get this book, only to be disappointed when I sat down and read it. I love Martin's art, but the story wasn't as good as I thought it was.

Here's the real bad part--this book was made way, WAY too wide. It's hard to hold and read it. You have to be very careful to not accidentally bend the pages. AND, it doesn't fit on the bookshelf without turning it onto it's spine. Otherwise, it sticks out about 4-5 inches. I'm not keeping mine and will be selling it. They would have been better off just making it like an OHC instead of wide.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I can't imagine why the editors allow forewords like that. Do they just assume that only old fans buy these books who already read the series 20-30 years ago?
    How about the jack off that wrote the intro to the X-Statix omnibus? You ever read that one first? Don't. It was only the biggest spoiler of the 1,000-plus page book.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I was all excited to get this book, only to be disappointed when I sat down and read it. I love Martin's art, but the story wasn't as good as I thought it was.

Here's the real bad part--this book was made way, WAY too wide. It's hard to hold and read it. You have to be very careful to not accidentally bend the pages. AND, it doesn't fit on the bookshelf without turning it onto it's spine. Otherwise, it sticks out about 4-5 inches. I'm not keeping mine and will be selling it. They would have been better off just making it like an OHC instead of wide.

Everything DarkKnight1047 said, although I probably liked the story a little more. BKV didn't hit it out of the park but it wasn't bad. Art is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    How about the jack off that wrote the intro to the X-Statix omnibus?
    Lol, it was Milligan himself. I had read the series in singles, so I wasn't spoiled, but that really should have been at the end of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by CP1234 View Post
    Lol, it was Milligan himself. I had read the series in singles, so I wasn't spoiled, but that really should have been at the end of the book.
    Lol, you're right. I just looked it up. I'd still recommend the series, tho!

Spectacular Member

And that's why I only read the book's introduction after the book's finished! Got the whole experience ruined too many times...

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    And that's why I only read the book's introduction after the book's finished! Got the whole experience ruined too many times...
    Yeah same here!

Fantastic Member

The Eternaut is back in stock at Amazon.ca for those of you who still need to grab it...well worth owning!

Fantastic Member

Latest Shipment:

IMG_20160101_084324.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Latest Shipment:

IMG_20160101_084324.jpg
    Very nice haul! I didn't even realize Nemo Trilogy was out. I was going to hold off on an order, but now I think I'm going to grab the GL/GA absolute and the nemo trilogy!